Verified:

trumper Game profile

Jun 21st 2011, 13:30:38

Originally posted by dagga:
Two methods to fix first strikes without screwing with turns:

1. Formalise war decs.
2. Slow down the attack now button by .2 to .4 of a second (should be easy using javascript.. qz?)

I would agree with the second point although it would go from .15 to .35. Either way, slowing it down would have the desired effect.

Servant Game profile

EE Patron

Jun 21st 2011, 15:37:58

in SUmmary (80) (160) would make a difference

2. Dagga actually has some great ideas here.

3. javascript for slowing down attacks.

I think those 3 changes would be huge.
Z is #1

euglaf Game profile

Jun 21st 2011, 18:51:00

i say we go back to 1999 in terms of turn generation and total turns allowed :)

Mr.Silver

Jun 22nd 2011, 23:11:18

without increasing hits needed, the time taken to do the kills is only slightly changed.

If killing becomes less effecient then its less likely to happen.
If required hits were to double or triple then war strats would no longer be a straight GS/BR nature to kill everything.

This game functioned pretty well when population kills were impossible. The wars back then were pretty interesting, much longer, and individual performance could make a largeg difference. It was possible for a smaller alliance to win if they were more organized.

However, rather than removing them, a medium could be found that not only allows for quick hitting and turn taking, but allows opportunity for the majority of players to stonewall or use tools at thier disposal to offput attacks.

slowing attacks won't make much of a difference, instead of it taking being unable to be online for 2minutes it becomes 10minutes. Really in the grand scheme of things that's barely anything in the day. And instead it would just frustrate casual players that only play as Helmet said 5-10minutes a day.

Slash

Jul 2nd 2011, 18:32:56

FS's are WAY too powerful.

Seriously?! I played FFA during the era of players having thousands of countries per tag, when First Strikes were hideously crippling. Before mIRC, we had to do an IRC chat via ICQ having as many people online as we could get to hammer the hell out of our opponent(s) we may not have won all of our wars, but regardless of the outcome it was fun.

The only complaint that can be made about First Strikes being too powerful is if you consistently find yourself on the receiving end of them. Lowering the turn rate will piss more people off in the long run as when you had to wait a full hour per turn, your start-ups took days to play. While keeping the current turn rate in place, you're still going to piss people off, but you can't please everyone.

The JavaScript idea is nice, but even then you're still going to have those people, who with the right browser will simply disable JavaScript, and continue on their merry way without impediment.

Formalize war declarations? As in some kind of in-game script or something that will allow a tag to declare war on another? This idea has good intentions, however you'll find that the road to hell is paved with good intentions. This idea would only take the spontaneity out of the game. If whomever declares war on a tag in-game, the element of surprise is lost and you've given your opponent(s) little, but enough time to come up with at least a semi-effective defense strategy. You'd have to synchronize your in-game DOW with your forums DOW just to keep whatever advantage you may have.
Legendary since August 1999.

AIM: Slash of SOTA
MSN:

You want to antagonize me, antagonize me motherfluffer! Get in the ring, motherfluffer and I’ll kick your fluffy little ass! PUNK! — W. Axl Rose.

dagga Game profile

Jul 4th 2011, 0:52:57

"Formalize war declarations? As in some kind of in-game script or something that will allow a tag to declare war on another? This idea has good intentions, however you'll find that the road to hell is paved with good intentions. This idea would only take the spontaneity out of the game. If whomever declares war on a tag in-game, the element of surprise is lost and you've given your opponent(s) little, but enough time to come up with at least a semi-effective defense strategy. You'd have to synchronize your in-game DOW with your forums DOW just to keep whatever advantage you may have."

You obviously dont read very well. And you're assuming that most alliances dont realise that they've been declared on when half a dozen countries die in 5 minutes?
signatures are stupid.
Months since LaF netgained: 22

Marshal Game profile

Jul 4th 2011, 20:51:25

if formal dec of war stops outside hits then it could be used to allow 2+ alliances net w/o outside hits whole set (ultimate rep cashers and farmers and techers w/o any kind of military expenses).
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

dagga Game profile

Jul 4th 2011, 21:51:24

Marshal, many ways around that - this is the easiest:

The formal dec of war does not stop outside hits, just makes it like GDI where you need to declare war on a country to country basis. This is for both hits going out and hits coming in. Try asking LaF they only get to farm the one untagged country per 48 hours until they can declare peace. Won't happen. The beauty of making alliances 'at war' is the coding to change things like this becomes much easier. Another option would be to just remove the restriction on landgrabs (keep the no-hit restriction on specialty attacks) and provide a warning to the aggressor country informing it that "The country you are about to hit is involved in war - proceed?"

Don't hold your breath though.
signatures are stupid.
Months since LaF netgained: 22

Pontius Pirate

EE Patron

Jul 4th 2011, 22:18:10

someone rehash what was wrong with capping turns at 80(80) with same turns per hour? means people have to play more actively but makes FS weaker and easier to recover from
Originally posted by Cerberus:

This guy is destroying the U.S. Dollars position as the preferred exchange for international trade. The Chinese Ruan is going to replace it soon, then the U.S. will not have control of the IMF

BattleKJ Game profile

Jul 5th 2011, 13:24:43

Dislike.