EVER

RobertLee Game profile

Apr 26th 2011, 18:38:42

mySQL

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 26th 2011, 18:41:40

YOU WILL SUCKLE AT BILL GATES' TEAT AND YOU WILL LIKE IT!
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

trumper Game profile

Apr 26th 2011, 23:09:48

Who still uses it? I last used that in 2003 in the government...even the govt ditched it.

ponderer Game profile

Apr 26th 2011, 23:20:28

it's almost as bad as openoffice base.
m0m0rific

Foobooy Evolution Game profile

Apr 27th 2011, 0:50:28

what else is user friendly?

DeDLySMuRF Game profile

Apr 27th 2011, 0:56:27

Microsoft Access has its uses. I don't use it myself, but since I work at Microsoft there are alot of people that do use it.
FFA Server - Paragon of Duality
Alliance Server - Moral Decay

Evolution Game profile

Apr 27th 2011, 0:58:47

Originally posted by RobertLee:
mySQL

Even I switched to mySQL, even though I was an access fanboy.
Not posting on AT as much because Maki/Steeps gave back some of my forums on GHQ. RIP my decade long blog, my blog even had replies from people who are no longer with us :(.

Rufus Game profile

Apr 27th 2011, 8:50:12

Originally posted by RobertLee:
mySQL
I concur: mySQL is the worst DB engine ever!

What are you trying to do with Access though? It's perfect and powerful tool for managing even largeish amount of data, for a couple users. Easy to code, easy to maintain. If you try to use it for anything bigger it's your worst nightmare. But not Access problem; it's the project manager who chose the wrong tool for the job.

In contrast, mySQL is bad from every point of view; except the "price". If you want something powerful get SQLServer instead. (Yeah, I know, it's not free, but the Express is).
I am John Galt.

Fooglmog Game profile

Apr 27th 2011, 13:51:58

I think you can delete the word "access" from the title here. (someone had to say it)

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

mrford Game profile

Apr 27th 2011, 16:05:43

I know my Mom's company, Coca-Cola Botteling Company Consolidated, the largest independent botteler in the United States, still uses it. She fluffes about it all the time.
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Apr 27th 2011, 18:01:29

"What are you trying to do with Access though? It's perfect and powerful tool for managing even largeish amount of data, for a couple users."
I disagree.
by financial institution standards, "medium" amounts of data would be in the 500K + records over 20 fields.
"large" would be in the 5million+range with 70-80 fields at least.

If you are trying to do VERY simple database queries then it's ok.
But even something like: "recode this numbered field into ranges of categories" is very painful in access if you have 10 categories.
If I want to group data by 10,000 categories (SQL group by) access dies for example.

The mini dataset I was using had about 300K records with about 15 fields (mostly text).

I find Access interface wise to be very cumbersome and annoying tbh.

Then again I have been somewhat spoiled by SAS and APL.

Just ignore my rant:P

DB2 ftw!! *runs*

you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 27th 2011, 18:21:16

5 million records is tiny!~

our news lookup table is 12M records alone !! :)

mysql ftw... we're just getting started here too really, 3GB in 50 tables, most of which is attacking news and country news....
Finally did the signature thing.

Rufus Game profile

Apr 28th 2011, 8:33:59

*shrugs* I just did a few quick tests. I don't have an access db with a table with 500k records but I joined 4 tables for about 400k records total. Simple "select all from inner join blah blah" took 1 second. Group by every field (about 60 or so) took 28 seconds, not really funny indeed. Group by primary key in each table, 3 seconds. Group by 16 indexed fields (all text) took 5 seconds. Each query returned actually the same number of records, those 400k. When limiting the size of the recordset with a "where" clause it was much faster (except "where text_field like *something"; that one took much longer than "like something*" but still about half of the time of the group by without the where). Not the fastest ever but certainly workable.
I am John Galt.

tyug Game profile

Apr 28th 2011, 16:31:01

I am with the MYSQL group. Used it many times however I don't like Access' interface, I really do prefer CLI. Then again, i didn't play with Access a lot.

MySQL vs SQLServer... now I don't know which one is better, both seemed good from what I used and needed it for. (Tables were gigantic since they were storing financial stock data and all the audits needed) Craptastic thing was that we had to use both, so I mixed syntaxes sometimes for the temp tables for future joins.

I do like SQLServer's profiler though. Fun to learn about SQLServer more indepth than most people would want to know.

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 28th 2011, 16:39:37

JOINS ARE SLOW! DIE JOINS DIE! ;)

handling the equivalent of joins in the code and doing simpler queries is usually faster

Rufus Game profile

Apr 28th 2011, 17:39:49

Yeah well, it seemed the easiest and quickest way to get a hold of a 400k records and toy around with it without wasting more than 5 minutes. And obviously no sane person would do a group by 50 columns in 4 tables query especially knowing beforehand that the records were unique and there's no point grouping anyway :p

MySQL vs SQLServer. I did test that once; a web application, same tables, same data in tables, same queries, same machine; db engines were SQL Server 2000 and whatever mySQL was declared "stable" that morning, I forgot (was a while back). SQL server won hands down, performance-wise. (edit: could be because the mysql odbc drivers were crap though, I haven't been curious enough to play with MySql in a Linux environment)

Edited By: Rufus on Apr 28th 2011, 17:49:31
See Original Post
I am John Galt.

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Apr 28th 2011, 17:46:22

qz: it's not just the number of records but the number of fields in each record.
5 million records isn't so tiny when the size of the db is 200 gigs... (ie they have a *lot* of fields and you need most of them in many cases)
:P
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

Dibs Ludicrous Game profile

Apr 28th 2011, 19:39:18

how about you learn how to normalize and grasp an understanding of what a relationalship db is made for.
There are no messages in your Inbox.
Elvis has left the building.

Apr 28th 2011, 20:38:56

might even want to index it correctly instead of treating it like a holy glorified mother of god excel spreadsheet.

because i know that's where you're coming from...

because I'm Dibs.

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 28th 2011, 20:50:53

your tables are too complicated then! lol ;)

vertical partitioning!

though if they're just massive tables and you don't need to search on anything other than the primary key, you should have no problem; build lookup tables for anything more complicated than that...

hanlong Game profile

Apr 28th 2011, 20:51:16

i wouldn't even call MS Access a db ;)
Don Hanlong
Don of La Famiglia

Rufus Game profile

Apr 28th 2011, 20:55:26

Microsoft doesn't call MS Access a db either. It's only the graphic interface for the jet db-engine... ;)
I am John Galt.

Apr 28th 2011, 21:03:45

LOL, DAO has been deprecated. what jet? they use ADO now. :P

No Jet. meh, it beats trying to use MySQL with ODBC. i'm sorry, did you actually want me to do something with that join, or should i just show everything as deleted because i didn't understand anything about ANSI-SQL...

Acheron Game profile

May 2nd 2011, 17:29:09

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

May 2nd 2011, 17:32:55

dibs is out in full force:P

it's not an issue of indexing. Certainly one could make multiple lookup tables and re categorize that way.

Access still sucks:P Try doing calculated fields with it for example:P

Edited By: martian on May 2nd 2011, 17:37:24. Reason: fluff u
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

May 2nd 2011, 17:38:50

Also qz: that is a lot of programming/procedural acrobatics needed to accomplish something :P
In any case I used something called APL instead which was a lot faster.
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

tyug Game profile

May 2nd 2011, 20:47:14

NoSQL anyone? might be helpful for you.

Hmms.. I thought there was something called Zero sql or something like that, but I can't seem to google that anymore.

May 4th 2011, 0:03:45

you mean you want to show a calculated field on a form and still be able to save the record? just wrap it in a vba function.

Strikey Game profile

May 4th 2011, 1:05:39

I used Access in college for my access class and it was fine enough for me to get an A in that class.