Verified:

ATMunn Game profile

Jul 17th 2017, 0:21:00

Hello!
As the title says, I'm a new player and was thinking of starting on Alliance. I don't know how joining a clan works, and in fact as of writing this I have no idea how to play, and I haven't even made a country yet. I'll read the wiki some, but some basic knowledge of how to play would be nice.

I also, like I said, would like to join a clan. I have no idea what the different clans are, but probably whatever one gets suggested to me to join first will be the one I join.

DerrickICN Game profile

EE Patron

Jul 17th 2017, 1:23:44

Depends on what you like to do with your gaming experience totally. Basically I think, as with any game, there are two types of players. People who play to make the best country so they can win first place, and people who kill trying to have fun at the expense of others. Personally I'm a thoroghbred killer and if you look at other posts here you'll see I troll a fair amount. In my opinion, warring and walling are the best parts of this game. Its very socially interactive wheras netting can take very little time each day depending on how committed to the 1st place finish you are.

A good war country will wake up in the middle of the night, maybe even stop tapping the old lady to wall on a moments notice and will also be available a lot to hit. Its very laborous at times but if you are active you can make a name for yourself instantly. Redneck of LaF was not particularly known to me until this set when he was super active and hard to kill. Now we all know his name.

If you are looking to war and meet a lot of people in this game, Elders is a no brainer choice. They (we) constantly stir the pot and are active enough to teach a basic war strat. Our strength is based on our ability to stonewall which is rivaled basically by no one. I could walk you thru a basic country and how to stay alive and you'd be on your feet in no time.

If you wanted to learn some more about basic strategies and try to get a stronger comprehension of the math of the game by netting for a few sets, I think MONSTERS is the obvious choice. Getafix is a very active, extremely talented netter who is more than willing to help you out. Commandos of MONSTERS is also very active and very helpful. Those dudes know their builds and market very well and could easily walk a new player into a top 50 finish. Perhaps top 20. As a bonus, they rarely stir the pot and defend themselves well, so you may be able to go whole resets without so much as a hit against you.

But, more or less, it comes down to how you want to spend your time in this game. Do you want to be a killer or a netter? Thats the main choice you have to make. Most people in this game have at least 10 years under their belt as it is an old game. So yeah, red pill or blue pill?

Toxic-Tears Game profile

Jul 17th 2017, 1:58:19

What Derrick left out, is that regardless of if you want to be a netter or killer, there will be wars between alliances, so as a netter you would need to learn how to kill for wars.

Most alliances have kill teams, if you join an alliance for netting, spend a couple of sets as a part of the kill team to learn how to war and kill, and then spend the rest of the time as a netter.
Toxic-Tears

DerrickICN Game profile

EE Patron

Jul 17th 2017, 2:07:58

^he's not incorrect at all. Learning to net well will only further your ability to war. An unfortunate fact. Lol. But war clans can always help someone dive head first into the social atmosphere of the game. You just wont learn to play a great country as well. Lol

iZenebas Game profile

Jul 17th 2017, 2:10:34

Find a smaller tag that's active. Maybe one of the <10 man netting tags. The small clans need you more :)

sinistril Game profile

Jul 17th 2017, 2:23:34

War clans will be more fun because they'll be more active and maybe better for getting advice... but definitely start with netting.

Also if you join a large clan these days its 99% chance you'll be in war, so small clans are a better place to start.
If you give a man some fire, he'll be warm for awhile. If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Garry Owen Game profile

Jul 17th 2017, 3:03:30

RAGE is a great place to start! We have great fighters and top 10 netters. Be glad to show a new guy how to not only play well but have fun while your at it! :)

http://www.boxcarhosting.com/...plication.php?clanID=RAGE

DruncK Game profile

Jul 17th 2017, 3:11:10

Bonus for noobies

Buch Game profile

Jul 17th 2017, 3:35:32

Join elders we do cool things.

Gerdler Game profile

Forum Moderator

Jul 17th 2017, 4:49:02

Originally posted by DerrickICN:

If you wanted to learn some more about basic strategies and try to get a stronger comprehension of the math of the game by netting for a few sets, I think MONSTERS is the obvious choice. Getafix is a very active, extremely talented netter who is more than willing to help you out. Commandos of MONSTERS is also very active and very helpful. Those dudes know their builds and market very well and could easily walk a new player into a top 50 finish. Perhaps top 20. As a bonus, they rarely stir the pot and defend themselves well, so you may be able to go whole resets without so much as a hit against you.

Basically an attack ad against LaF there. Quite unfair to a new player, wouldn't you say?

Monsters are great and active and have 2-3 really strong netters that without a doubt can help a new player a ton. LaF has 20 of those and a history of dominating netting in this game(and E2025) that runs ~18 years back. While many others can help a new player out LaF is the largest, most active and most versatile netting alliance with the broadest game knowledge in the game. A perfect place to start.

Apply to LaF here:
http://www.boxcarhosting.com/...pplication.php?clanID=LaF

You may even learn to fight here since we have been promised many wars in the future by our friends. :)

But, more or less, it comes down to how you want to spend your time in this game. Do you want to be a killer or a netter? Thats the main choice you have to make. Most people in this game have at least 10 years under their belt as it is an old game. So yeah, red pill or blue pill?

Why should a player be so narrowminded that he can only do one thing? Thats like ordering a quattro stagioni and only eating the ham.

Either way the key to both war and netting is to build a rich and powerful country. Netters excel at that, so it's where any player should start otherwise the fight is over before it begins.

OP should join LaF, Omega, LCN, Evolution or Monsters if you want to learn to build a great country either for warring or for for winning the game.

If OP wants to fight for the sake of fighting then Elders, SoL and Imagnum are the only quite pure fighting alliances left in the game. But I recommend that this comes at a later stage since the base is still to build a strong country.

Rage, Ragnarok and Stones would likely qualify as something in between. Idk honestly.

I am from LaF and I hereby swear that if you, as a new player, join us and listen to our advise you will be capable of finishing in the top 10% of any game within 3 months of playing with us.
Application to LaF:
http://www.boxcarhosting.com/...pplication.php?clanID=LaF

Vic Game profile

Jul 17th 2017, 5:32:58

Derrick is in an active war against laf so it's only reasonable he didn't promote us to new blood :)... and he didn't say anything negative about laf in that post - so maybe we are all getting past grudges gerd :p

Edited By: Vic on Jul 17th 2017, 5:50:01

DerrickICN Game profile

EE Patron

Jul 17th 2017, 5:34:23

Hahaha. Nothing against LaF in terms of their ability and even willingness to teach a new player. I just don't know if its currently the best place to end up, considering the tag is mostly killed and starting there RIGHT NOW THIS SET, you likely wouldn't learn a thing and be reduced to farmland. I could see it being a wise landing zone AFTER this set, but if you were looking to join today and play this set, I'd pick somewhere else to at least get a feel for the game without being targeted by 2 of the largest clans. Which is why, for someone joining today or even within the next month, I wouldn't do LaF. Not a stab on your ability to net or teach at all. There were dozens of sets in the last set several years that it was obviously the place to learn. This is not that set.

Being versatile is clearly the way to being good. Being a great war dog comes with having some solid netting skills. Right now, laf is not netting and they are not in a position to help someone make a stong build. You'd likely be teaching the oop missiler strat which hardly has any application now that restarts are much larger but is still ideal for a midset startup in a war. I truthfully just dont want to end up farming this dude out of the game. Haha

You did your due diligence listing the other clans tho.

Gerdler is right about a number of things.

First off, i think LCN could compete with Monsters in that sort of helpful active players that net way. LB is a beast. I just couldnt be sure of the other clans listed willingness to actively help a new player.

Rage is actually also a decent choice. They brought home a few oldies but goodies and still have an active role in the politics of the game, despite their recent tree-huggary. By no means is that a bad place to end up.

But just in terms of someone giving the game their first go, I'd avoid the clans that are currently at war on a part that is getting smashed.

Current war is Elders/Sol vs Laf/stones/oma/red/imagnum.

Realistically i'd wait until next set to join any of them. If you really wanted to kill, best choice for now to enter the fray immediately would be Elders and I say that only because they arent getting hit so you could try some stuff out without having to worry about being smashed. The other 6 clans are either half dead or all dead. Just bad timing imo. I wouldnt dare say elders has the best teachers lol.

So i guess i'd pick between MONSTERS, LCN or RAGE if I were trying to be unbiased and tell him the best place to start TODAY.

Trouble is when the new set starts, my recommendations would likely change entirely. Just politics and dynamics haha.

Edited By: DerrickICN on Jul 17th 2017, 5:45:04
See Original Post

DerrickICN Game profile

EE Patron

Jul 17th 2017, 5:48:33

But yes. Laf is a fantastic place to learn when they arent in the position they are in now. Maybe even the best place to have active leaders teaching you the game and stuff. I wouldnt short sell that for a minute. But I just cant make that as a recommendation rn due to the war. Lol

Edited By: DerrickICN on Jul 17th 2017, 6:03:27
See Original Post

jawadh

Jul 17th 2017, 5:58:09

RAGE all the way, apply below and let us teach you:

http://www.boxcarhosting.com/...plication.php?clanID=RAGE

Makinso Game profile

Jul 17th 2017, 7:13:39

I lead SOL,

But I would say join Rage. Those guys probably could teach you a nifty trick or two about netting and the alliance game.

Their website has been posted a few times.

Gerdler Game profile

Forum Moderator

Jul 17th 2017, 7:27:30

Yeah Rage looks like they have a couple of alright netters now. Wtf is up with that? like 1 year before I quit E2025 Rage was like 200 members and could not spell 'net'. :P

Joey- Game profile

Jul 17th 2017, 8:02:32

Gerdler - you should come back too. =)

elvesrus

Jul 17th 2017, 8:12:34

great way to find out you're in a war after replacing a busted ac adapter ;)
Originally posted by crest23:
Elves is a douche on every server.

ATMunn Game profile

Jul 17th 2017, 14:50:44

wow, i didn't think there would be so much discussion lol. I ended up kind of forgetting about this post and just looking at PMs, and I ended up applying to join SoL. but... it seems like there's actually several different good options, and maybe SoL isn't the best. however i've already applied so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

in terms of play style, being a killer does sound kinda fun, but I'm not sure I'd want to go all out killer. also, I probably won't be the most active player either, as i've got other stuff i need/like to do.

EDIT: also, i use IRC frequently. it would be great to join a clan that is active on IRC.

EDIT 2: so yeah, after everything taken into consideration, I'm thinking of joining either LaF or RAGE. not sure what to do about he SoL application. :\

Edited By: ATMunn on Jul 17th 2017, 14:55:14
See Original Post

Makinso Game profile

Jul 17th 2017, 15:34:43

Hey ATMunn we can revoke your application. That's no problem mate.

You can pick where you want to play.

Makinso
-SOL Commander

Ivan Game profile

Jul 17th 2017, 15:37:08

come join us at SOF! we are so awesome we dont even have a site atm but we're active on irc and kicking sols ass!
even makinso wants to join us!

Ivanfluff

zygotic Game profile

Jul 17th 2017, 15:56:37

I would seriously take a good look at Omega.

ATMunn Game profile

Jul 17th 2017, 16:15:48

Makinso: yeah, that would be good.

I think I'll join RAGE, because they seem to be a smaller clan that is probably more in need of newer players than something like LaF, but on one condition, and that's that they're active on IRC. if they're not, I'll join LaF, as I think they said they are active on IRC.

Makinso Game profile

Jul 17th 2017, 16:19:53

I think when it comes to IRC Activity, the largest are the most active

SOL, LaF and Elders are likely the most active. Can't speak for Stones.

Kalick Game profile

Jul 17th 2017, 16:22:23

Come on you guys... When was the last time there was a real new player who wandered onto AT asking for advice, and it wasn't just some disgraced EE addict coming back with a new alias?

Kalick Game profile

Jul 17th 2017, 16:23:04

double post

ATMunn Game profile

Jul 17th 2017, 16:28:54

no, i'm actually a new player... but i guess there's no way to prove that :p

Joey- Game profile

Jul 17th 2017, 17:02:48

Originally posted by ATMunn:
Makinso: yeah, that would be good.

I think I'll join RAGE, because they seem to be a smaller clan that is probably more in need of newer players than something like LaF, but on one condition, and that's that they're active on IRC. if they're not, I'll join LaF, as I think they said they are active on IRC.

Welcome mate!!

ATMunn Game profile

Jul 17th 2017, 17:43:58

Ok, i've made up my mind. I'm going to join LaF. They're more likely to be active on IRC, and someone from LaF told me they would be "working on a laf rage merger eventually," so if I understand what that means, even if i joined RAGE I might end up on LaF anyways. and besides, I kind of want to just make up my mind and join something so I can start playing.

zygotic Game profile

Jul 17th 2017, 18:03:16

To be honest I LaF is a good choice

GeneralofRome Game profile

Jul 17th 2017, 18:23:14

Originally posted by Makinso:

Hit and miss with Stones...during a netting set you can it's so quiet you can hear bru's silent but deadly sardine pie farts

braden Game profile

Jul 17th 2017, 18:31:16

"Hello!
As the title says, I'm a new player and was thinking of starting on Alliance. I don't know how joining a clan works, and in fact as of writing this I have no idea how to play, and I haven't even made a country yet"

fluff, i say we let him admin the game. at least he'll show up. the fluff is anybody else?

the best bet is to join rd. pang and qz play there, so you'll be sure to win.

AtomicHellFire Game profile

Jul 17th 2017, 19:04:53

Laf are really helpful, they have helped all us newbies in RED a lot!

King_Cobra1 Game profile

Jul 17th 2017, 19:21:47

Lol Braden

DerrickICN Game profile

EE Patron

Jul 17th 2017, 19:24:55

I will farm you so bad. Lol. So bad.

ATMunn Game profile

Jul 17th 2017, 19:38:18

I will farm you so bad. Lol. So bad.

:D

sinistril Game profile

Jul 17th 2017, 21:40:38

Originally posted by GeneralofRome:
Originally posted by Makinso:

Hit and miss with Stones...during a netting set you can it's so quiet you can hear bru's silent but deadly sardine pie farts

Netting set??? :P
If you give a man some fire, he'll be warm for awhile. If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

mrcuban Game profile

Jul 17th 2017, 22:56:39

Just FYI Derrick here in Australia the 'old lady' is your mum. I don't know what they teach in elders but tapping your mum isn't socially acceptable, anymore if not ever and I think its medically unsafe... please get help.

breeze Game profile

Jul 17th 2017, 23:26:24

DerrickICN Game profile

EE Patron

Jul 17th 2017, 23:33:53

Interesting....

I blame Sigmund Freud for this vernacular discrepancy.

IgnitionCWG Game profile

Jul 18th 2017, 0:05:46

A new player that knows about IRC... Hmmm
*Splat*

breeze Game profile

Jul 18th 2017, 0:19:57

Originally posted by IgnitionCWG:

I thought the same thing Ignition

akadeo0o0 Game profile

Jul 18th 2017, 1:40:05

what is IRC?

Mini Game profile

Jul 18th 2017, 9:52:10

Originally posted by mrcuban:
Just FYI Derrick here in Australia the 'old lady' is your mum. I don't know what they teach in elders but tapping your mum isn't socially acceptable, anymore if not ever and I think its medically unsafe... please get help.

Cuban, Your Australian?

Also yes couldn't agree more. Unless your Tasmanian, anything goes down there..

Mini Game profile

Jul 18th 2017, 9:56:39

Ok, i've made up my mind. I'm going to join LaF. They're more likely to be active on IRC, and someone from LaF told me they would be "working on a laf rage merger eventually," so if I understand what that means, even if i joined RAGE I might end up on LaF anyways. and besides, I kind of want to just make up my mind and join something so I can start playing.

Your basically safe any which way you go with Clans now, most of the Clans that are left have been established for a long time and the guys that still play in them have played for years & years.

DruncK Game profile

Jul 18th 2017, 11:00:43

#trollaward

ATMunn Game profile

Jul 18th 2017, 14:38:17

Originally posted by breeze:

Actually, I kinda found out about Earth Empires indirectly through IRC. Somebody had a bot that posted a link to some website, and on that website Earth Empires was mentioned. It sounded somewhat interesting so I decided to see what it was.

Ruthie

Jul 18th 2017, 16:35:03

Originally posted by breeze:

Actually, I kinda found out about Earth Empires indirectly through IRC. Somebody had a bot that posted a link to some website, and on that website Earth Empires was mentioned. It sounded somewhat interesting so I decided to see what it was.

there are a ton of non-earth channels, lol

so why would that be so strange?
~Ruthless~
Ragnaroks EEVIL Lady

Dissident Game profile

Jul 18th 2017, 17:14:53

You can find good clans anywhere. I saw you mentioned earlier that maybe sol isnt the "best". The "best" is subjective from set to set. The established and long living clans like sol, laf, omega, I suppose rage, ICN... you will be able to glean whatever knowledge you can in the basic premise of the game. That alone will take you half a year. You wont make top 10 net within your first 5-10 years of playing (pretty safe to say).

The absolute KEY to finding a suitable match for a new alliance, is to find which ones are active... there you will learn the most. Sol is active, laf is active, elders are active, stones are active. I cant speak for omega rage or icn though. The clans that roll solely on forums will tend to be less active. If you want to be active, get an irc client and talk to people. Sol has a busy chat.... you'll do just fine there.

Dissident Game profile

Jul 18th 2017, 17:17:03

Hahaha... yeah... we're a far ways off from RD styled infiltration.