Verified:

NukEvil Game profile

May 2nd 2011, 16:19:34

A few days late, but just thought I'd say:

AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA...
I am a troll. Everything I say must be assumed to be said solely to provoke an exaggerated reaction to the current topic. I fully intend to bring absolutely no substance to any discussion, ongoing or otherwise. Conversing with me is pointless.

enshula Game profile

EE Patron

May 2nd 2011, 16:21:53

it was the developer network that was hacked

people wanted to play games before they were released and so on

also there was a way to unban banned userids/hardwareids, not sure which on that one and maybe get back banned features like *nix

then someone found out how to download everything for free

then someone got some database of personal info

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

May 2nd 2011, 16:22:29

I am glad I went with xbox. At least microsoft has somewhat more experience dealing with this kind of thing (usually the hard way mind you...)
:P
you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

Havoc Game profile

May 2nd 2011, 16:32:36

Havoc
Unholy Monks | The Omega

Havoc Game profile

May 2nd 2011, 16:33:47

refresh that a few times:)
Havoc
Unholy Monks | The Omega

LittleItaly Game profile

Game Moderator
Alliance, FFA, & Cooperation

May 2nd 2011, 17:43:25

Originally posted by martian:
I am glad I went with xbox. At least microsoft has somewhat more experience dealing with this kind of thing (usually the hard way mind you...)

Anyone with enough time can hack any system.
LittleItaly
SOL Vet
-Discord: LittleItaly#2905
-IRC: irc.scourge.se #sol
-Apply today @ http://sol.ghqnet.com for Alliance

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

May 2nd 2011, 20:47:16

only if that system is accessible :P.

Seriously though: that's very true. My point was that xbox live is probably less likely to be hacked (not saying it couldn't happen) because they have more experience dealing with this kind of thing.
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

Kingme Game profile

May 2nd 2011, 20:50:00

C'mon guys... this was a very highly classified military operation carried out by the US government.

They obviously hacked PSN, gathered Osama bin Laden's information and whereabouts and then used that information to carry out the attack yesterday.

I'm sure since things are coming to an end, PSN will be back shortly.

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

May 2nd 2011, 20:52:59

lol.. I heard that the US military uses processors from Playstations because it's the cheapest computing power available on the market currently (sony sells consoles at a loss on purpose because the money is made on the media)
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

Raven Game profile

May 2nd 2011, 20:53:35

Tweet made me giggle:

So Bin Larden is finally dead. It's amazing what the Americans can do when the playstation network is down.

Kingme Game profile

May 2nd 2011, 20:55:11

Cell processors are pretty BA, seriously.

Akula Game profile

EE Patron

May 2nd 2011, 23:56:36

Sony Online went dead early hours this morning too (lol) :)

http://www.soe.com/securityupdate

Edited By: Akula on May 3rd 2011, 8:37:43
See Original Post
=============================
"Astra inclinant, sed non obligant"

SOL http://sol.ghqnet.com/
=============================

TAN Game profile

May 2nd 2011, 23:58:26

Originally posted by LittleItaly:
Originally posted by martian:

Anyone with enough time can hack any system.

Nah, you don't need that much time, if the OS is Linux and you're in a park full of hungry dinosaurs.
FREEEEEDOM!!!

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

May 3rd 2011, 1:23:43

LOL@TAN

a fully patched linux box following best coding practices is basically un-hackable... usually things get taking down by DDOSing, if anything...

'course it's often the big corps who ignore best-practices for some reason...

it'd be funny if the PSN went down from SQL injection or something heh...
Finally did the signature thing.

enshula Game profile

EE Patron

May 3rd 2011, 6:46:34

the PSN was taken down by sony because of the credit card stuff and other stuff

until people new the credit card stuff got out everyone thought sony were idiots for not only taking down the dev network

although perhaps they were idiots for not making them able to be segmented in the first place

perhaps with the credit card problem theres an advantage to having both down though

NukEvil Game profile

May 3rd 2011, 12:54:58

I recently read a comment section on an article about this, and the best comment I remember reading went something like this:

"Yes, Sony, this is what having a rootkit feels like. Doesn't feel very good at all, now does it?"
I am a troll. Everything I say must be assumed to be said solely to provoke an exaggerated reaction to the current topic. I fully intend to bring absolutely no substance to any discussion, ongoing or otherwise. Conversing with me is pointless.

May 3rd 2011, 12:58:21

Why didn't they have the information hashed?

NukEvil Game profile

May 3rd 2011, 13:16:17

I'm sure some of it was encrypted/hashed, such as passwords and (hopefully) CC numbers. However, the fact that the hacker(s) was able to obtain the information, encrypted or not, shows a severe lack of security in Sony's networks. Not only that, but if the information was poorly protected, such as with a weak hash, the information could be easily decrypted and read as plain-text. Cue the sound of several million credit scores falling at the speed of gravity.

Sir Balin Game profile

May 3rd 2011, 13:31:09

sony ftl

NukEvil Game profile

May 3rd 2011, 18:58:10

http://www.theregister.co.uk/...k_exposes_more_customers/

An estimated 102.6 million users have been affected so far.

Someone, somewhere, is busy playing the world's smallest violin for all the people that have supported Sony's draconian business practices by allowing their credit cards to come anywhere near their precious online gaming.

ZIP Game profile

May 3rd 2011, 20:25:12

just think if they just took 1$ from 1/2 of the customers - not to bad.
fluff your 300 Spartans fool - i have 32 of the biggest fluffed mother fluffers made of titanium !!
A brigade from Blackstreetboyz (#91) has invaded your lands! Your defenses held against the invaders and forced them away! Your military lost:1 Troops

Cougar Game profile

May 3rd 2011, 21:13:06

Pre-paid credit cards and PSN cards saved me from worrying about this nonsense.

They may have the rest of my info, but if they are able to get credit in my name, more power to them.

CGiboney Game profile

May 3rd 2011, 22:32:09

lol, Off to go play the new COD map pack!

Unholy Monks

emusican Game profile

May 3rd 2011, 22:40:32

Its back up?