Verified:

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Nov 16th 2010, 17:09:46

hey all;

Nuk added a cool feature I was asking for so that bots can't crawl our forums and scrape your emails; the @ symbol is now replaced by an image of an @; making it not look like an email to a bot :)

horray!

Edited By: qzjul on Aug 23rd 2013, 17:38:36
See Original Post
Finally did the signature thing.

Tin Man

Nov 16th 2010, 17:42:18

sexy

Tin Man

Nov 16th 2010, 17:42:32

@

Marshal Game profile

Nov 16th 2010, 19:40:41

@!
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

iZarcon Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Nov 18th 2010, 8:20:31

there's some good javascript examples to fool bots as well.
-iZarcon
EE Developer

http://www.letskillstuff.org

Fooglmog Game profile

Nov 18th 2010, 8:34:02

Just works in profiles, not in posts?

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

Detmer Game profile

Nov 18th 2010, 15:04:00

well I noticed this in TAN's sig so I dunno... maybe it just has to be in something that looks like an email?

@

Detmer Game profile

Nov 18th 2010, 15:04:22

well those both seemed to do it =P

NukEvil Game profile

Nov 18th 2010, 15:08:33

Yeah, it'll only trigger it if there's something that looks like an e-mail in a post or sig. Then, it'll normally do it to ALL the at symbols in the post or sig. If there's just lots of @@@@@@ next to each other, it shouldn't trigger it, even if there's an e-mail address ( ) around. An extra kilobyte or so never hurt anyone...
I am a troll. Everything I say must be assumed to be said solely to provoke an exaggerated reaction to the current topic. I fully intend to bring absolutely no substance to any discussion, ongoing or otherwise. Conversing with me is pointless.

Akula Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 19th 2010, 21:03:20

nice one nukey
@_@
=============================
"Astra inclinant, sed non obligant"

SOL http://sol.ghqnet.com/
=============================

Fooglmog Game profile

Nov 23rd 2010, 7:48:34

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

Fooglmog Game profile

Nov 23rd 2010, 7:49:08

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

Fooglmog Game profile

Nov 23rd 2010, 7:49:52

Why does it not work for me?

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

NukEvil Game profile

Nov 23rd 2010, 14:38:16

Mostly due to the carriage return right after the address.
I am a troll. Everything I say must be assumed to be said solely to provoke an exaggerated reaction to the current topic. I fully intend to bring absolutely no substance to any discussion, ongoing or otherwise. Conversing with me is pointless.

Marshal Game profile

Nov 23rd 2010, 19:27:10

Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

Fooglmog Game profile

Nov 28th 2010, 12:22:08

So it will work if I say in the middle of a sentence?

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

Fooglmog Game profile

Nov 28th 2010, 12:23:50

Was that too long? What about Will that work?

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

iZarcon Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Nov 28th 2010, 15:12:18

heh. Why not just replace all @ with the equivalent html special char? can even replace them with a tiny snippet of javascript that displays the html special char.
-iZarcon
EE Developer

NukEvil Game profile

Nov 28th 2010, 20:26:19

Because that's not going to help the fact that Fooglmog won't put his sig in an actual sig. I'm not going to go around, tweaking the regex for every little possible nuance that someone comes up with that disables its functionality.

iZarcon Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Nov 29th 2010, 14:21:50

hmmz. I thought it would be beneficial for everyone if even forum posts(not just sigs) changed as well. i mean, someone says 'post you email!' so you do... why does that mean u should be penalised for not putting it in a sig?
-iZarcon
EE Developer

NukEvil Game profile

Nov 29th 2010, 14:36:47

The forum posts DO change as well. It's just that in Foog's case, the carriage returns after his posts before his 'sig' is somehow not meshing with the regex to do with an email address. However, I'm sure there are other regexes that could account for that. I'm not very good at them, so if you have any pointers, that'd be great.

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Nov 29th 2010, 16:59:51

(\w+@[a-zA-Z_]+?\.[a-zA-Z]{2,6})

shamelessly stolen from the web :p

regex to find e-mail addresses already exists (that's how the bots steal addresses ;-) )
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

NukEvil Game profile

Dec 3rd 2010, 14:46:41

iZarcon's suggested another method of masking emails, and his method gives you clickable links if you have javascript enabled. So thank iZarcon for lending his services.

iZarcon Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Dec 3rd 2010, 14:56:56

cool! just makes the experience seamless.
-iZarcon
EE Developer

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Dec 3rd 2010, 18:43:18

=D
Finally did the signature thing.

Tertius Game profile

EE Patron

Dec 4th 2010, 3:53:09

I thought I saw one the other day, but on this post, every email links to the mailto: so did something change or is my browser not cooperating?

iZarcon Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Dec 4th 2010, 14:52:51

Tertius:
Originally posted by NukEvil:
iZarcon's suggested another method of masking emails, and his method gives you clickable links if you have javascript enabled. So thank iZarcon for lending his services.

if u have javascript turned off, it shows the image. but with javascript on, it still shows the @ but conceals it from bots.

Using either method, if someone wanted to harvest emails from our forums specifically, they could, but for the most part (as in 99%+) most bots just look for the simple normal email address across as many pages as they can.
-iZarcon
EE Developer

Marshal1

Jun 3rd 2013, 19:36:16

post your bonuses to general talk.
galleri: fluff off marshal

archaic: FFS when Marshal has stood out as maybe the brightest person on the whole thread . . . fluff me, I'm going to go smoke a joint and reevaluate some fluff

sinistril: Oh snap, Marshal destroyed galleri. Thought I'd