Verified:

Thomas Game profile

Dec 1st 2010, 4:47:32

They screw with finishes and everybody frowns upon them, so why allow it? At least make it more difficult so those benefitting do not benefit as much.

Tech for instance. It's usually expensive early on, but the price dips lower and lower.

Week 1: No max
Week 2: $6000
Week 3: $5000
Week 4: $4000
Week 5: $3500
Week 6: $3400
Week 7: $3200
Week 8: $3000

Military. It's expensive early on, but then it stays steady until times of war. Then it comes back down again until the next big war. The prices always come back down, until the final day of the set.

Maximums could be 15% higher than that of a normal Private Market with no Military Tech, Gov Bonuses. Example: $144 Troops for $166 maximum. This would limit the ridiculousness of these buyouts but also allows other to benefit. It wouldn't reduce the amount of military on the market, so it wouldn't be anymore thin than it already is.

The only difficulties would be oil and bushels. Bushels peak no higher than $70 so a max at $75 wouldn't be an issue I wouldn't think.

But Oil, that is 100% dependent upon wars. And limiting the price of oil COULD curb people from running Oiler strats. They look to cash in on that short time period where Oil is outrageous. So in a normal war Oil could top $400 without a buyout. But that's usually only for a short period. I'm not sure what really could be done about Oil to be honest. I'm sure others may have some ideas.

Detmer Game profile

Dec 1st 2010, 4:49:31

I don't frown upon them. They are a 100% valid tactic. I want my markets free. I would personally like to see the private market removed.

Drinks Game profile

Dec 1st 2010, 5:00:16

A few things id like to add to. Firsly i like the sound of a max to stop buyouts.

No max on bushels. Cause people stock bushels on the market. So buyouts there dont really happen. And if they did they would need to go through a fair amount of people.

And oil used to be the main buyout item anyway, so not putting a cap on that would just make everyones buyouts go back to that.

Tech id keep the max floor at say $4000 or $5000, cause even at the end of the set military tech is often fairly expensive and so is SDI for late wars.

Finally id leave military at atleast 25% higher then normal Private market. For instance i often see military such as troops around $200 right at the end of the set
<Drinks> going to bed
<Drinks> pm me if I get hit
<-- Drinks is now known as DrinksInBed -->
<DrinksInBed> looks like I'm an alcoholic

Thomas Game profile

Dec 1st 2010, 5:45:03

Well the end of the set military would be limitless.

And good point about the Bushels, putting a max would make it hard to stock them, since they would all be reachable. But so many Bushels being reached, and the $2B bug gone, it wouldn't be a *huge* issue if they did get sold somehow.

Oil would be the biggest issue with stopping. Because it's so iffy from set to set.

Detmer -- Whether you like it or not, whether I like it or not, this game needs life and there are more netters than there are warrers. So by pissing off the netters, you're pissing off a larger percentage of the game's population than by pissing off the warrers.

There are enough people who have played this game long enough and grown tired of the antics that they quit over minor things. We can't really afford to lose people when we desperately need to gain them. Having someone spend all reset building a country to crack the top 10, only to have a group of people top it using FA chains and buyouts, which is within the rules, but not seen as legitimate and has no positives on the atmosphere, would piss those same people off even more.

It does far more harm than good. While the person who *should* have been #10 can say he had the 10th best country, he can't really go back and say his finish was 10th. It's like taking home the Silver at the Olympics then three weeks later having them mail you the Gold because the first place guy cheated. Takes all the enjoyment away from the actual achievement.

Drinks Game profile

Dec 1st 2010, 6:10:23

Ya but its part of the alliance server tactics.

Its part of the game and people will find other ways of getting someone to number 1 if they cant do buyouts.
<Drinks> going to bed
<Drinks> pm me if I get hit
<-- Drinks is now known as DrinksInBed -->
<DrinksInBed> looks like I'm an alcoholic

iZarcon Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Dec 1st 2010, 8:11:00

yes, this is an alliance server... i hate all these suggestions to curb alliance tactics.

Now, if you were complaining about primary buyouts, then there would be cause... But you're not.
-iZarcon
EE Developer

http://www.letskillstuff.org

iZarcon Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Dec 1st 2010, 8:12:22

oh, and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stop pulling the 'we need change' card just to try and make a bad idea look like a good one.
-iZarcon
EE Developer

http://www.letskillstuff.org

aponic Game profile

Dec 1st 2010, 20:26:40

Capping the markets is unnecessary. Just put up large blocks of tech end set if you don't like it and reap the benefits.
SOF
Cerevisi

enshula Game profile

EE Patron

Dec 2nd 2010, 8:01:19

it got a bit more effective with the TPT change lately

also is there a 1000 autobuy on tech now? that would reduce it slightly since you cant buy techs at 600 to resell at 10k for ~15x multi

LittleItaly Game profile

Game Moderator
Alliance, FFA, & Cooperation

Dec 2nd 2010, 14:07:36

Learn how to block the market, dont go crying to the devs that there is higher priced stuff to buy than what you would like or prefer.
LittleItaly
SOL Vet
-Discord: LittleItaly#2905
-IRC: irc.scourge.se #sol
-Apply today @ http://sol.ghqnet.com for Alliance

Thomas Game profile

Dec 5th 2010, 6:07:32

Sigh. I come up with a suggestion and it's considered crying.

It's an idea..

Idea.

idea

I d uh

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Dec 5th 2010, 7:25:20

Why would a typical netting country have millions of tech points in medical, spy, and the other usual buyout techs?

Ivan Game profile

Dec 5th 2010, 9:35:49

Im all for putting caps, not the ones thomas suggested but other ones would be fluffy lets say that you cant sell stuff for lesser then 30% of the current price or somethin like that

Rockman Game profile

Dec 5th 2010, 23:10:04

We're frowning on your idea that a change was needed.

Furthermore, you made a blatantly false assertion that everyone frowns on buyouts, when a large number of people do not frown on buyouts.

I'm against setting caps. I'm for individual player setting blocks out there to benefit from buyout attempts. Smarter players already do that.

And with markets that have smaller supply and demand, single players are already able to conduct buyouts. Due to the need of players for their goods to sell, players cannot afford to put too many goods at the market at a price that will likely not sell, thus markets are incredibly thin. At the right time of day, when demand is highest, it takes very little cash to poke a hole in the market and to send it far higher than it normally is. I 'exploited' this aspect of markets many times about 5-7 years ago on the tournament server with solo food buyouts.

If warring is a team-based affair, why can't netting be the same way? If 6 people can all attack someone one after another, with no gain for themselves and incurring military loss and oil usage, why is it wrong for 6 people to all buy the same type of technology one after another, at no gain to their own countries?

Your idea is basically against teamwork involved in netting. Furthermore, it penalizes the more intelligent players who had adapted to the buyouts aspect of Earth 2025 by making money with tech blocks.

W Game profile

Dec 6th 2010, 15:18:32

i was thinking about a similar thing for global express (a game that usually has less than 10 players per set) to stimulate the public market a bit.

basically there would be a 'sell goods on market' function, with a cap on your maximum sell price, based on private market price or public market averages or something, and then there would be a 'stock goods on market' function where you pay a heavy tax to essentially make your goods inaccessible by pricing them as high as the current maximums are.
[9:22pm] xHx: on a fluff ton of tech
[9:22pm] xHx was kicked from the chat room by Hellcat. (Badwords Detected!)
[9:22pm] Within[SnG]: what?? fluff this
[9:22pm] You were kicked from the chat room by Hellcat. (Badwords Detected!)

Rockman Game profile

Dec 6th 2010, 21:38:18

W - why should there be a heavy tax associated with the stock goods on market function? That'd just cause everyone to use the maximum sale price for goods instead to avoid that tax.

W Game profile

Dec 6th 2010, 21:54:53

there are better reasons for the global game than for EE i suppose, but i do feel there should be a price associated with goods that you don't actually want to sell or physically keep in your country.

and if everyone is using the maximum price your stocked goods become vulnerable to buyouts or if the market runs really low on goods. it probably would just mean more buyouts, idk.
[9:22pm] xHx: on a fluff ton of tech
[9:22pm] xHx was kicked from the chat room by Hellcat. (Badwords Detected!)
[9:22pm] Within[SnG]: what?? fluff this
[9:22pm] You were kicked from the chat room by Hellcat. (Badwords Detected!)