Nov 19th 2010, 13:57:18

Totalitarian

+40% Food Production
+60% Indy Production
+50% Tech Effectiveness
-20% Land Gains
No access to public market
No Government changes

This government has very little variance. It isn't dependent on market fluctuations, and winning actually takes skill.

<3

dantzig Game profile

Nov 19th 2010, 14:09:56

Interesting...food start->tech phase (but have to maintain farms)->IC or farm heavy rainbow?

On second thought, casher with high military, bus, and res techs might also be feasible. Whatever the final gov't choice, a tech phase would be required to be remotely competitive.

I'm intrigued.
FoG

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Nov 19th 2010, 16:05:36

interesting thoughts, but I'm not a big fan of the lack of changing or lack of public market access.

i don't think you can have a country that is competitive beyond the first 3-4 weeks of the round without being able to interact with the public market.
so at first glance, it seems like a country that would be overpowered during the early game/for restarts, while not being competitive later in the round

also, with a small server population right now, I'd like to do things that encourage MORE interaction with the market, rather than less :p

Edited By: Pang on Nov 19th 2010, 16:08:29
See Original Post
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

Detmer Game profile

Nov 19th 2010, 17:15:12

Originally posted by Pang:
interesting thoughts, but I'm not a big fan of the lack of changing or lack of public market access.

i don't think you can have a country that is competitive beyond the first 3-4 weeks of the round without being able to interact with the public market.
so at first glance, it seems like a country that would be overpowered during the early game/for restarts, while not being competitive later in the round

also, with a small server population right now, I'd like to do things that encourage MORE interaction with the market, rather than less :p

Agree completely except in the right conditions this could have a competitive MBR destock.

IHaveSexForTech Game profile

Nov 19th 2010, 17:40:39

Lack of changing and lack of public market access is entirely the flavor of the government type. You could take away the No Changing, but you cannot take off the Lack of Public Market.

The market is far to vulnerable. They set chain events off that essentially determine the winner, assuming all skill is equal.

Additionally, you start Monarchy. You could wait to switch to Totalitarian till you have purchased whatever you might need on the market.

We really need something new here pang. ^_^

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Nov 19th 2010, 17:48:25

potentially... this may have a better home somewhere like Express than on a server like Alliance or FFA

the issue I have with it (for netting at least) is that you can't stock enough to be able to warrant using an MBR destock.
If you stock bushels, the equilibrium point for food loss will be hit pretty early (and you'll never get above like 10m bushels on hand at any given time) and if you hold cash, the corruption modifier will hit equilibrium as well, preventing you from stocking.
if you stock tech, you have no way to unload it because you can't sell it on the private market and you can't access the public market at all. The only viable thing would be to stock oil on the Express server, because you can sell it on your private market there, but without an oil bonus, is that more advantageous than Fascist? :p
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Nov 19th 2010, 17:50:00

i'm way more concerned with public market selling than I am public market buying

I'm just not a fan of the inflexibility in the government type, mainly :-/ :p
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff

Detmer Game profile

Nov 19th 2010, 17:56:26

Originally posted by Pang:
potentially... this may have a better home somewhere like Express than on a server like Alliance or FFA

the issue I have with it (for netting at least) is that you can't stock enough to be able to warrant using an MBR destock.
If you stock bushels, the equilibrium point for food loss will be hit pretty early (and you'll never get above like 10m bushels on hand at any given time) and if you hold cash, the corruption modifier will hit equilibrium as well, preventing you from stocking.
if you stock tech, you have no way to unload it because you can't sell it on the private market and you can't access the public market at all. The only viable thing would be to stock oil on the Express server, because you can sell it on your private market there, but without an oil bonus, is that more advantageous than Fascist? :p

crap, right, forgot about that part... in no way possibly competitive end set.

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Nov 19th 2010, 17:57:50

look up another post qz made on Technocracy

it has a similar flavour to this post :p
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Nov 19th 2010, 19:18:53

except you can use use the market!

I agree with pang 100% on the "lack of market access is bad" idea; basically, this game is market driven; to take a section of the game out of that is bad for the market; we already have low volumes etc etc, we need MORE people on the market, rather than less.

Plus the market is half the challenge now isn't it ;) I'd rather have "No access to PRIVATE market" than "No access to Public market"

Incidentally a govt without access to public would have to build it's own rigs if it wanted to attack...
Finally did the signature thing.

dantzig Game profile

Nov 19th 2010, 19:50:16

Give it an oil bonus then, allow oil to be captured in attacks, and add it to Express instead of F :P
FoG

Detmer Game profile

Nov 19th 2010, 20:14:08

qzjulism/Market stimulus package
No private market access
No market commissions
+10% max techs
-10% tech effectiveness

I could see the market doing a lot of fun things with that as a choice ;)

IHaveSexForTech Game profile

Nov 19th 2010, 21:30:43

@qzjul: The idea is that its a self sustaining government. You and I both know that Public market was never created with the intention of having so much influence on who wins or loses.

Well lets brainstorm then. A government with no access to private market could easily be explained as Anarchy. Anarchy also opens up some interesting play options in Stealing mechanics.

Anarchy

No Private Market
-30% Spy Effectivness
-30% Tech Effectiveness
X% Money, Food, And Oil stolen per SS/PS

Promotes attacking, which the game desperately needs imo. Skill intensive Government. Makes other countries control there money management more efficiently. Makes standing orders more prevalent.

I couldn't come up with a rational % for steals. Something like 15% SS/30% PS seems proper. Gains get DR'd natually in %'s of totals. Someone could 5 hit a stocker for huge gains, but is probally going to be destroyed shortly after. Its a pretty Finesse based gov.

Detmer Game profile

Nov 19th 2010, 21:53:27

Originally posted by IHaveSexForTech:
@qzjul: You and I both know that Public market was never created with the intention of having so much influence on who wins or loses.

I completely disagree with that. I think it is intended to be an equally big component as who can attack the best targets with the most dedication.

Detmer Game profile

Nov 19th 2010, 22:16:40

Feudalism:
* +25% private market costs, -25% private market sell prices (decentralization allows for greater price gouging)
* No civilian food consumption (everyone is self-sustaining/locally trading) (still have military food consumption)
* Allies 25% more effective and max (used to cooperation of many groups) (for example defense allies now add 31.25% of their defense and the cap would be 225% strength, not 200% strength... same idea for o allies, new cap is 287.5% strength instead of 250%... you can gain 25% of your tech at one time and it is 1/8 of what your allies teched... aid packages can be 12.5% and intel I am not sure how you implemented but you get the picture)

NOW3P Game profile

Nov 20th 2010, 4:01:58

I gotta agree w/ qz and pang - creating a government that is specifically contrary to one of the primary dynamics of the game is counter productive to what is in the best interest of the server.

The markets are already too thin - allowing players not to use the public market will just intensify that problem

Fooglmog Game profile

Nov 20th 2010, 10:18:30

I think it's a very interesting model, but taken too far to the extreme.

Instead of completely blocking public market access, what if we just limited it? Increase the market commission and lower the % of goods that can be placed on the market... or increase the time it takes for goods to get to the market.

For government changes, we can increase the penalty for changing government away from it.

I think that the results could be interesting.

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

trainboy Game profile

Nov 20th 2010, 17:36:43

Why not do it choose ur government customize.2 perks 2 cons. So I may take commies tech bonus and 0 market commissions. But pay by having -15% military strength and -25% pci. Or -30% military costs build bonus but with 10% commissions and 3 turn attacks. As a thought although gov names Nd ideals may vary

NOW3P Game profile

Nov 20th 2010, 23:19:50

What if it were set up so market for Totalitarian Gov't = market price * 1.5?

It effectively removes any benefit of the public market, but still makes it available and valuable in some cases.

Vic Rattlehead Game profile

Nov 21st 2010, 3:37:59

Without the public market this game is worthless. You can't make a government that doesn't use the market.
NA hFA
gchat:
yahoo chat:

available 24/7