Verified:

Gerdler Game profile

Forum Moderator

Jun 29th 2017, 0:11:20

I understand what you were doing when you added the oil burning feature and as a mechanic I very much like it, but it has had the unintended effect of creating strategies that are almost completely independent of the public market.

The public market is, dare I say, the foremost invention in this game. Using it optimally requires experience, interpretation skills and game understanding as well as psychology and patience. There is also a degree of risk-reward in just about every choice you make on the public market. Timing conversions, jumps etc are also greatly affected by the markets.

While the bots affect the markets as well at least they have the effect of adding liquidity. The oil destockers remove liquidity. And it's effect is very visible in for example the team server.

You have also basically killed the full TMBR.

I propose these changes:
1. Limit the oil burning to something like 10 or 20 barrels per acre/turn tick, and use the same function as the private market units accumulation for accumolating oil burning capacity. If 10 barrels/acre/turn it mean 3.5 times fast private market replenishment than normal, and if 20 barrels/a/t it means 6 times faster. ofc this has to be balanced.
2. Increase the units from oil burning by 50%. This also has to be balanced.

With this:
-You keep the end of set oil demand high and it even rises with everyone jumping.
-Everyone will jump through the public market and their timing and knowledge of this and the TMBRs read and knowledge of the market will determine their success over days or perhaps over a week instead of everyone using a step-by-step jumping scheme that takes 10 minutes to execute.
-It creates more market interaction and an opportunity to math out new strategies.
-The full acre TMBR is reborn, yay.

An alternative would be to have a checkbox to burn oil where oil would be consumed at every turn tick and the result would be that the private market replenishes that much faster.