Verified:

mdemon Game profile

Mar 23rd 2012, 17:26:34

I'm not posting this to try to manipulate the tech market; after all, my set is ruined. I'm just going to trying to enlighten some of you on the way the tech market works.

You see there's a thing called supply and demand. Due to the amount of turns people can store, it gives the false sense that there is very little demand for your technology. Everyone needs technology even the oilers.

They need weapons tech to make their countries stronger. They need military strategy tech to get more ghost acres. They need business/residential tech to improve their incomes (not suggesting that they need to max it, they just need to have about 130% or so of each). They also need warfare tech to discourage double tapping; the more missiles they have the less likely they will be double tap.

Now think about this for a minute. The game allows people to have more than 360 turns in addition to the 360 stored turns. Now that is a fluff load of turns.
If you are selling your technology at the beginning of the game for less than 2,500, you might as well not tech. Techers do make a bit of money on the first 3 days, but after those 3 days is downhill for them.

If you place tech and it's not selling don't just pull it back and lower the price; just wait for it to sell. Even cheap stuff on the market doesn't sell right away. It takes time for someone to notice it and/or someone to need it. If they are buying your tech below 2k is because they need it. Which means they would had purchased it at a higher price. However, since you sold it cheaper, they now have the luxury of waiting for the next cheap batch of tech.

Anyways, what I'm trying to say is that is too hard to do a good finish if you are undercutting yourself. If you are selling tech for less than 1900 right now that there is still 55 hours left till the game ends, imagine how much you will be selling it later.

JJ23 Game profile

Mar 23rd 2012, 17:30:30

well you also have to look at the reverse side.

well your logic makes sense. imagine this

im a techer. i just sold $50M worth of tech. i bought some jets and did a nice big LG and built up. and then teched 40-50 turns.

I NEED my tech to sell potentially before the guy i hit logs in so i can jump out of his range so that he cant retal. whereas yes waiting might net me a couple extra hundred dollars a point, but that extra 4-6 hours may be the diffence between getting retalled and not.. and of all the strategies which cant afford to be retalled, techers are at the top because any turn i spend having to regain my land and respy targets and not tech, i make 0.

so sometimes, im willing to satisfy an SO or undercut with the insurance of knowing that when my tech hits the market in 30-45 min, it will most likely sell within 10min so i can log back on in an hour and run the critical amt of turns to get out of the range of a guy i lged.
Originally posted by blid:
The way my 30m got busted was the ultimate in nobility and self-sacrifice because I could have simply canceled the alliance but I was too big a person to do so.

blid

EE Patron

Mar 23rd 2012, 17:31:43

That is too many turns!

Also, I always wonder - it's increasingly popular to wait until late Sat. or even Sun. to buy deep discounted tech and take a crapload of turns. There's so much demand at the end, it's a wonder the prices still drop through the floor.
Originally posted by Mr. Titanium:
Watch your mouth boy, I have never been accused of cheating on any server nor deleted before you just did right there.

JJ23 Game profile

Mar 23rd 2012, 17:34:52

yeah but you have to run some kinda turns thursday/fri or you will overflow.

plus.. by then the targets will be so saturated from lgs that its harder to gain land.

and remember, last 6 hours of game you cant actually attack someone unless they have attacked you, so you are a little bit nerfed in that regard.

and lets say if the military prices are unfavorable at that time or theres no food on the market, you are stuck on 360 (360)....

i mean i like storing turns the first 2 days because it helps me to choose my strategy for the reset based on market trends, but afterwards im looking to grow and get in the top 10. being in that 25-100 rank area makes me a huge target for bottomfeeding top 10ers... so i want to get out of there asap.
The way my 30m got busted was the ultimate in nobility and self-sacrifice because I could have simply canceled the alliance but I was too big a person to do so.

mdemon Game profile

Mar 23rd 2012, 17:34:53

If everyone did the same thing, prices would be much lower. Prices haven't drop only because there are some players like me who know that selling tech at low prices will not only hurt them in the long run but also their allies.

crest23 Game profile

Mar 23rd 2012, 18:36:26

I agree with mdemon. For one, you shouldn't be attacking if you can't build what you grab and "outrun the retal". Secondly, there are always countries that will have to run turns so that they don't overflow.
The Nigerian Nightmare.

JJ23 Game profile

Mar 23rd 2012, 18:38:16

thats not true.

to outrun the retal, i need my tech to sell.

itsd all supply and demand, but if no one bought my tech even if it was dirt cheap, id be a sitting duck to be retalled.

crest23 Game profile

Mar 23rd 2012, 18:48:39

You just contradicted yourself. You sell your goods to fund your growth. Gambling that your goods will sell after the fact to me, doesn't make sense. The way I see it, you should always have the funds to write the check not write the check and hope your paycheck arrives on time.

That is, before you attack, you should have the funds to build the land and beef up defenses. You will get in a lot of trouble when you grab and then place your goods hoping they will sell so that you can log back in "an hour and run the critical amt of turns to get out of the range of a guy i lged." I've seen market undercut already low prices that weren't even selling in the 1st place.

Express is very fickle. One hr is a long time. Hell last set I was retalled which I was searching for another target to hit and that was like 60 seconds.
The Nigerian Nightmare.

herbs12 Game profile

Mar 23rd 2012, 18:51:25

Or you can be like me a techer in this and primary with 1 tech Allie.

Also a lot of good points made in this thread, I agree with JJ on lower selling to run critical turns when needed. And also selling higher when not needing to run turns.

Last set it bite me in the ass I unloaded a fluff ton of tech at 1044 and 999. Would have been close for a spot in the tyranny list, which is all I'm goin for until it happens.

JJ23 Game profile

Mar 23rd 2012, 18:58:08

well i did not contradict myself.

ive always played a risk reward game.

sometimes if i find a great target, ill quad tap and hope for the best. if i was conservative id run allX, or make sure i never attacked a person more than once.

there is a relatively good chance someone wont loggin within an hour of my attack, but then again, there have been many instances where it has and i paid for it.

i will never understand the concept of running 360 turns in ONE login... this 5 day reset is equivilent to 5 weeks in turns.. so each day is essentially a week. would you login toyour primary or tourney countries once a week? hell no. me logging in every 3-4 hours is essentially playing a days worth of turns. so its not that far fetched.

yes someone may undercut my already low prices, but it gets bought faster at 2000 versus 2500

mdemon Game profile

Mar 23rd 2012, 19:11:31

If people are buying it, it's because they need it. Yes, $2,000 tech will sell faster than $2,500 tech because people can afford more of it.

But the money spent on tech, will be about the same amount. Selling more doesn't necessarily mean that is a good thing. I rather sell less for a fair amount than to sell all at an outrageously low price.

If I wanted to sell all my tech I could easily do so at $999.

blid

EE Patron

Mar 23rd 2012, 19:12:32

You make more money by selling at $1000.
Originally posted by Mr. Titanium:
Watch your mouth boy, I have never been accused of cheating on any server nor deleted before you just did right there.

JJ23 Game profile

Mar 23rd 2012, 19:54:23

i still disagree.

lets say im an indy. i sold 100M worth of goods.

i budgeted 50M for tech and 50M to build the land i grabbed.

lets say i was expecting to find tech for 2200-2300

at that price im buying roughly 20k pts (after taxes) with the 50M.

if tech is 2500, im going to hold off on buying and save the cash. if tech is gloriously say, 1800, well i may spend 70-80M of the $$ on tech and build later. i figure my goods will always sell if i price them around what market prices are, and i can always run the rest of the building turns later.

i know for a fact im not the only person to think that way.

think about it. if you sell tech high, say 2500+, people will just store turns. at some point, someone is going to reprice tech lower... and potentially because of that, and so many techers having stored turns, they will in effect, undercut each other even more to make sure their own stuff sells so they can take turns.

each other govt can run without tech, albeit inefficiently, but as a techer, if NO ONE buys your tech, you effectivelly canot take your turns.

indys, cashers, farmers, can survive and run turns without tech, its just they would not be near as efficient on their lands.

does that make my point make more sense?

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Mar 23rd 2012, 20:20:20

Autobuy is @$1k, JJ ;)
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6VRMGTwU4I
-=TSO~DKnights~ICD~XI~LaF=-

S.F. Giants 2010, 2012, 2014 World Series Champions, fluff YEAH!