Verified:

Elvish Magi

Sep 10th 2010, 20:38:27

FFAT has always been a bit of a dog eat dog place, which goes hand in hand with the nature of the game we all play to an extent.

But, it is also the face of the community here - and, no matter how much we might dislike some individuals, it is in everyones interests that the overall community is a welcoming, tolerant one.

Recently I cant help but notice that the tone on here seems to have moved from that a bit. Some of the personal stuff seems a little too personal - other people may disagree, but when I see the same few individuals singled out repeatedly then I can't help but conclude that is wrong.

This isn't a defence of their ingame actions, some of which has been mind bogglingly silly, but if those actions have been dealt with appropriately ingame then why the need to target the individual on here?

There's also been a couple of examples where people have expressed differing political views, to which the response has been unsavoury.

I dont want to single out any individuals, as maybe it's more of a pack mentality taking over a bit. Perhaps the issue is also magnified by the smaller community and slower pace of FFAT than we are used to in the past.

I also know some people dont seem to help themselves, and I know a "why cant we all get along" plea would be utter fluff.

However maybe from time to time we all need to step back and think "no, i'm not going to post that - enough is enough".

Ah well, just my 2 cents... flame away :P
MSN:
AIM: ElvMagi

Ozzite Game profile

Sep 10th 2010, 20:50:51

FLAME ON

we really only hate hellrush and gregg....
Ah, mercury. Sweetest of the transition metals.

Kill4Free Game profile

Sep 10th 2010, 21:05:15

Only person I would kill on sight would be Donny. After that, Dog eat Dog. Lae has been good allies (aka never tried to kill me) so they are our allies. Everyone else... I am just waiting for my chance!

Main problem is, people get offended by a single grab. Maybe not completely deleting all your countries worthy, at least most of the time. But still it is expected you wont be landgrabbed.

I want old FFA back where you were worried about defense, about side effects of killing someone. Maybe NBK can't bring that back, but we will stand by it, as we still enforce the no self farming rule.

What I am saying is basically, your rules or our rules. If anyone disagrees, my best country isn't hard to find. You are welcome to it.
So many ways to die, only one way to live...
NBK

Thunder Game profile

Sep 10th 2010, 21:18:56

Ha Ha I see what you did there K4F ;)
Thunder
ICQ 56183127
MSN

2010 Armchair GMs League Champion
DEFEATER OF MRFORD!
FoCuS'D

NA FA/Senate
Lords

Ninja since born....Awesome Forever!

Kill4Free Game profile

Sep 10th 2010, 21:31:31

I think I insulted everyone in the game in one post in one way or another, lol. But honestly, how many of the longtime players will disagree!

And I gave an option for the disagree'ers!
NBK

Kill4Free Game profile

Sep 10th 2010, 21:33:05

K4F - Most generous man alive.

Maybe not he most generous woman though... that would be Gambit..... oohh so generous.
NBK

Makinso Game profile

Sep 10th 2010, 22:35:00

I think you just made a great post Elvish.

It has been what I have been warning on FFAT for as a moderator. The singling players out and simply (there should be a better word for this but I'm a dutchie so yeah dutchies ftw!) and trying to terrorize and dramatize everything do. Trying to get under their skin so badly without any true purpose other then hoping to upset them or piss them off.

Is 1 getting a tad bit to personal and 2 bad for bussines. The parts you emphasize in your posts K4F are not exactly matching with what EM is trying to emphasize here.

What EM goes too and what I as a mod have been chasing some people around over is this simple fact:

When a fresh not yet EE playing person is taking a look at our boards and stumbles through FFAT and the way people are being treated on this board it could keep them from playing this game.
Our boards should indeed like EM posts be a bussines card.

Also know we are considering tolerating less of this stuff on our boards from a staff point of view and it is currently being discussed what we can actively do about this kind of behaviour.

Makinso

Ozzite Game profile

Sep 10th 2010, 22:44:10

censorship has always been good for communities...oh wait

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Sep 10th 2010, 23:36:29

Heh well I don't want to censor anybody; I'd much prefer some measure of self-control from players ;) Keep it civil :)

I think the game needs an influx of new players badly, because we're all trying to play the same as before, but with fewer players it's harder. Even in FFA which has >3k countries... man 3k countries in alliance would be a good start....
Finally did the signature thing.

Desperado Game profile

Sep 11th 2010, 1:12:51

you guys are forgetting a few things, and elvis pegged it when he made this post

there were 10 times the people playing FFA in it's glory days, so the board moved a lot faster on things, also... if you don't seem to recall, threads fell off when they reached the bottom of the list.

so when you are in a position where the size of the community is a tenth of the size it used to be, and fluff that splattered all over the fan is never cleaned up, so its always there stinking up the place.

as for the people that are singled out, I highly doubt that is going to detract people from wanting to play this game just because a pair of asshats are getting chewed out and keep begging for more fluff piled on top of their heads. only difference between now and then is we can easily notice the fluffups when it is individual people, and since threads never die, then neither does the issue. Back in the day we didn't austracize individuals, insted we did it to entire clans.

and btw, since you're hear (<-- hellrush moment, should say 'here') qz, can you remind maki which servers he monitors? because if I can't be an ffat mod because i'm a leader in a clan, why does he get to? just because his nick says moderator?

Originally posted by Primeval:
pants antler

gambit Game profile

Sep 11th 2010, 3:18:17

i hate everyone that has posted in here so far...

i will be along shortly to murder each of you...
Natural Born Killer

gambit Game profile

Sep 11th 2010, 3:24:08

i didnt!

im gonna kill you with a fork!
Natural Born Killer

Warster Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express, Tourney, & FFA

Sep 11th 2010, 6:18:43

from what i seen

all mods can monitor all public boards

its only in game where we are restricted

tho i could be wrong
FFA- TKO Leader
Alliance- Monsters

MSN
ICQ 28629332

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Sep 11th 2010, 8:00:21

Warster is correct -- game moderators can moderate any forum, however ingame they are restricted to monitoring or deleting/restoring countries on only the servers below their names here, which they don't play on
Finally did the signature thing.

Kill4Free Game profile

Sep 11th 2010, 13:34:34

True, people arent very nice on the boards, lol.
NBK

QM Diver Game profile

Sep 11th 2010, 15:09:54

I'd much prefer some measure of self-control from players ;) Keep it civil :)
==========================================
Agreed.. A little respect from all, would prolly do a lot..

Natural Born Killers
PreZ

Ozzite Game profile

Sep 11th 2010, 15:24:27

BUT I AM FROM THE INTERNET AND WE NO LIKEY PLAY NICE

NOW3P Game profile

Sep 11th 2010, 15:54:03

As the late great George Carlin said.....You have the right to be offended. And I have the right to offend you.

If folks don't like being singled out, perhaps they ought not keep putting themselves in the limelight and asking for it to happen, eh?

Makinso Game profile

Sep 11th 2010, 16:03:19

Originally posted by NOW3P:
As the late great George Carlin said.....You have the right to be offended. And I have the right to offend you.

If folks don't like being singled out, perhaps they ought not keep putting themselves in the limelight and asking for it to happen, eh?

Yes and no, NOW3. I think there is a difference between giving someone a hard time over something stupid he did ingame. Or giving someone a hard time just because you want too. That is where QZs comment comes up about self-control.

If we take the case of hellrush or donny. When they quit doing silly stuff people will still make huge or small multiple posts about them (without them doing anything wrong at that point), trying to lure them out so they can chew them out and insult them again. That's wrong and we will start taking action upon such stuff if it goes to far.

NOW3P Game profile

Sep 11th 2010, 16:22:40

What about those same people making posts themselves, trying to lure others into trolling them though?

I agree on people bashing after the bashing is no longer relevant and all (although Hellrush and gregg will be running jokes in LaE for many years to come), but I take much greater issue with these guys donning their 5 year old mentalities and making a spectacle of themselves by posting threads obviously intended to get people to troll them, which I assume is somehow for their own amusement. It's nothing short of a little kid intentionally smashing his arts and crafts project from school just to get a rise out of his parents...

Personally, I think heated debate is about all that's fueling posts on these boards lately - games like this thrive on conflict and adversity of personalities after all. Unless someone is incurring legitimate personal distress over posts made about them, I see no reason to curb it really. And if they are, perhaps they should be questioning whether or not an open/censorship free online community is the place for them to be getting their entertainment from.

Edited By: NOW3P on Sep 11th 2010, 16:25:06
See Original Post