Verified:

Watertowers

Jun 23rd 2012, 14:06:01

http://www.yolohub.com/...th-decay-and-wretchedness

Quite similar to what has happened to Africa for the past 50 years isn't it?

kingofthezulus

Jun 23rd 2012, 16:48:44

Crime rates are actually the lowest they've been in decades. Look at crime rates in the late 70's and early 90's compared to now. Our cities are the safest they've been in 40 years.

kingofthezulus

Jun 23rd 2012, 16:56:57

http://policelink.monster.com/...t-lowest-level-since-1967

You are posting thinly veiled fear tactic propaganda with a right wing agenda, not supported by actual facts.

Detmer Game profile

Jun 23rd 2012, 20:35:20

What kingofthezulus said

MauricXe Game profile

Jun 24th 2012, 23:31:02

nice job king

Cougar Game profile

Jun 25th 2012, 3:37:03

Gotta disagree. I live just outside Detroit and the place is a nightmare right now.

The most important sentence in there is...

"Homicide numbers in Detroit are lower than they were 10 years ago, but estimated population drops during the same period could keep Detroit in the running as one of the nation’s most murderous cities."

There are half as many total murders now compared to the 70's because there is quite literally half the population as back then.

kingofthezulus

Jun 25th 2012, 22:39:08

"Chicago’s PER CAPITA rate in 2010 was 15 with 435 homicides, its lowest number in 45 years, the Chicago Tribune reported."

I added the caps for emphasis. The rate is falling as well as the overall numbers. Obviously Detroit is still a murder capital, I'm just saying that it is safer now than it was 20 years ago.

Edited By: kingofthezulus on Jun 25th 2012, 23:02:15
See Original Post

kingofthezulus

Jun 25th 2012, 22:59:17

Can't find year by year for Detroit, just anecdotal mentions, but here is the overall US violent crime rate for the last 50 years:

http://en.wikipedia.org/..._in_the_United_States.svg

Cougar Game profile

Jun 25th 2012, 23:12:39

Absolutely you are right that nationally the crime rate is way down from the high in the early 80s.

And I also agree that there is a ton of right-wing fear-mongering about crime, organized labor, the New Black Panther Party (lmao, I cant think about them without picturing Forrest Gump saying "I'm sorry I ruined your Black Panther Par-tay").

Detroit, however, IS actually that bad. I was thinking recently about how things could have gone differently. In 1967 Detroit had massive race riots, from which we never fully recovered. In 1968, Detroit was a finalist, along with Mexico City, to host the Summer Olympics. Legend has it that Detroit tried so hard to bribe the judges that those with any ethics at all voted for MC on principle, even if they didn't think it made the best host city.

Obviously the downfall of manufacturing in the midwest would have badly damaged Detroit's economy regardless, but I have to wonder what kind of difference a massive influx of infrastructure and tourism dollars would have done for the city back then. Who knows...

kingofthezulus

Jun 25th 2012, 23:21:52

Being a union member myself I'm definitely sensitive to the economic plight of the region and hope things get better there. I may have a rosier outlook on American cities living in Boston where I feel pretty safe.

Cougar Game profile

Jun 26th 2012, 1:28:56

Detroit has gone crazy.

Last few weeks, we've had a 80+ year old lady savagely beaten after a minor fender-bender, a teenage boy shoot his mother several times with a shotgun as she slept on the couch (she wouldn't let him go play with the gang boys), a gas station clerk gang-beaten by ~10 guys after politely asking them to not steal and knock over products (as they had done every night).

ummmm, we had four women's bodies found in a car trunk on the east side, an ~85 year old man who would watch chuch-goers cars while they were at service was shot and killed by a couple teenagers over a few dollars (which he would have given them, had they simply asked)....

And that's just off the top of my head. Most damning of all, I don't even watch local news.

I know this stuff happens everywhere, but things just seem so much worse now. Nobody has ANY respect anymore. Kids getting shot in drive bys seemingly DAILY.

Watertowers

Jun 26th 2012, 12:09:56

I think most Americans need to spend a year or two in any dilapidated Midwestern City to understand what the problem is. Why is it that no matter how much money, resources, charities, etc. etc. etc is poured into Detroit, Flint, or Africa for that matter, nothing changes, just more reproduction?

And when British are put into a new land with no support whatsoever, they manage to build Australias.

mrford Game profile

Jul 1st 2012, 16:48:22

Australia was an abandoned British prison colony you fluffing retard
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

Cerberus Game profile

EE Patron

Jun 9th 2013, 22:40:47

Tough subject. A lot of assumptions here and not as many facts. There are good people and bad people everywhere. They're all different, but they are also all the same. If we treated everybody equally, things would eventually reach a point of balance.

But we have to make sure that every rule is followed to the letter, which leads to tyranny no matter how you slice it.

I am vehemently opposed to tyranny in government, although it appears that it may be here to stick around a while.

Won't know for sure until the next election cycle for the Presidency. Obama might just be the last American President, and the first American Dictator. Lots of money was budgeted for Homeland Security to have Millions of rounds of ammunition. Are there a lot more shootouts in the airports that don't get reported on the news?

I would think a shootout in the airport would be noteworthy at least.

You know, those gun-running little old ladies with their armored walkers and them pesky cub scouts with their intimidating uniforms. Holy Cow!
I don't need anger management, people need to stop pissing me off!

thoma51987 Game profile

Jun 10th 2013, 5:59:09

lol

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Jun 18th 2013, 17:07:06

Funny you should mention the british. Compare where the Spanish/Portuguese settled in the americas to the British (and french) did. The british instilled the concept of good governance (not that they always followed through), the french instilled hard core construction into the north american colonies.. mostly This is the standing theory as to why Canada and the US are the most successful countries in post-colonia North/South america. The Spanish/Portugese were basically there to loot and pillage and that didn't help their colonies in the long run.

I would argue that the British are probably one of the more successful histic colonial powers: Canada/US/Australia/HK/New Zealand are solid examples of this. India not so much.. You can't really count Africa because that was done somewhat differently.

You are also incorrect to say that aid hasn't helped africa. From 1949 to the present they have progressed from mostly an iron-age level of development to an industrial revolution level of development (1800s by European terms). There has been tremendous leaps forward over the past 60 years. Sure it's not wonderful, and there are many challenges and serious problems facing them, but to say there has been no significant progress is dead wrong.

Regarding the mid-west: I will only say that a civilizations prowess is very largely dependant on their ability to sustain cities
you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

macmd Game profile

Jun 19th 2013, 4:17:22

Originally posted by martian:
Regarding the mid-west: I will only say that a civilizations prowess is very largely dependant on their ability to sustain cities

Very wise.

susannary

Jun 23rd 2013, 6:04:29

I think we understand this lesson best when we receive innocent gifts of love from young children.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.mmotank.com/
http://www.topdiablo3.com/
http://www.runescapewalmart.com/

cRaZyDaVe Game profile

Jun 23rd 2013, 11:24:49

Originally posted by mrford:

+1
Originally posted by Twain:
I love the idea of sending even 100 troops into an area so they can go assassinate citizens one at a time.

Twain Game profile

Jun 23rd 2013, 21:37:56

It's easier to be a bigot when you don't let all the inconvenient facts get in your way.

thoma51987 Game profile

Jun 25th 2013, 4:52:33

haha

Drunken Dibs

Jun 26th 2013, 22:06:01

Originally posted by Twain:

It's easier to be a bigot when you don't let all the inconvenient facts get in your way.

Put another shrimp on the barbie? not entirely sure that I want to understand Australians. they sit around and watch tiny people boink Barbie dolls? wtf?
Conformity Requires Sacrifice.
Send Me More 18-20 year old female virgins if you want me to conform properly.

McKill Game profile

Jun 27th 2013, 0:59:55

Blah Blah Blah

Cannon Game profile

Jun 29th 2013, 16:03:56

After hearing all that about Detroit I'm glad I live in Calgary. We mave have this insane flood to deal with but for one of the biggest Canadian cities it's relatively safe.

Oceana Game profile

Jul 30th 2013, 7:02:51

Maybe MI can absorb the debt and cover it by selling the city to CANADA

Oceana Game profile

Aug 6th 2013, 5:03:53

Hey now all you sinners, all you lovers, all you killers, all you children.
Leave your Lights On !!!

Akula Game profile

EE Patron

Aug 6th 2013, 16:24:17

the funny thing is, turn the lights off - the bad guys can't see who to rob or murder either
=============================
"Astra inclinant, sed non obligant"

SOL http://sol.ghqnet.com/
=============================

Drunken Dibs

Aug 9th 2013, 20:33:22

doesn't stop me from riding the unicycle to Wawa. bit of a pain on a cloud covered night though.
Conformity Requires Sacrifice.
Send Me More 18-20 year old female virgins if you want me to conform properly.

thoma51987 Game profile

Aug 12th 2013, 5:14:46

wow

Davidioanid070888 Game profile

Aug 13th 2013, 4:01:18

bonus pts plz ty

downsay2

Aug 26th 2013, 11:51:26

Thanks for sharing

start1212 Game profile

Sep 19th 2013, 1:50:33

thanks

wowcheng

Oct 7th 2013, 7:00:18

You know, to make certain all customer can email us anytime, were providing the best online service 24/7 here. So anytime, any place, should you have any risk or question or if you wish any RuneScape Gold, you possibly can come and buying RuneScape Gold from and have it soon since you paid. Many thanks coming http://www.fitrsgold.com/