ICe Man

Jun 9th 2010, 2:15:57

14k and 2er in Debut.

Pretty imperssive, imo :P

Although, it was vrs the Pirates lol
Thank God, for I'm a blessed man.

Thunder Game profile

Jun 9th 2010, 3:31:40

wow, doesn't matter who it was. thats some serious numbers...BUT...we'll see how he is in a month. By then the vets will have had time to study his pitching and they'll pick something up on him by then.
Thunder
ICQ 56183127
MSN

2010 Armchair GMs League Champion
DEFEATER OF MRFORD!
FoCuS'D

NA FA/Senate
Lords

Ninja since born....Awesome Forever!

ICe Man

Jun 9th 2010, 3:33:04

They also got Bryce or wahtever the kids name is ( I don't feel like googling it ) -- Kid is an AMAZING hitter and a *really* good hitter too.

gambit Game profile

Jun 9th 2010, 4:21:29

well...

at least the nats are selling out some ball games :P

14 Ks is an awesome debut... even against the pirates... that 2 run home run seemed to be his only mistake...

but only time will tell if he can hang in there... usually when there is this much hype about someone... they fall flat on their face after a while :(
Natural Born Killer

kemo Game profile

Jun 9th 2010, 4:31:49

the fast pitchers arms tend to burn out fast. put him on the mound as much as possible right now
all praised to ra

Twain Game profile

Jun 9th 2010, 14:07:39

Exhibit A: Mark Prior, who had a pretty similar first start (6IP, 2ER, won his debut).

I certainly don't wish that fate upon Strasburg, but crowning him the CY winner based on one start is a bit premature. However, it does look like the Nationals have something of value for the short-term at the very least.

Twain Game profile

Jun 9th 2010, 14:14:52

And on Bryce Harper, he certainly seems like one hell of a player as well, but there's some risk there too (of course, there's always risk in the MLB draft), but the kid skipped a couple years of high school, taking the GED so he could jump into JuCo to play against better talent.

Some people have been talking about him as someone who may burn out early because of it. Not sure I believe that, but the MLB draft is so crazy in where the best players come from, that you simply can't assume anything until the player is in the bigs and succeeding.

After all, the best player in baseball, Albert Pujols, was drafted in the 13th round. Mike Piazza, one of the best catchers baseball has ever seen - 62nd round. Meanwhile, there are players like Bryan Bullington, 1st overall pick in 2002, who has a career line of 0-6 with a 5.57 ERA in a total of 16 games player in the big leagues.

Harper seems like as close to a sure thing (outside of Strasburg) as you see in MLB, but you never know. Baseball has way more burnouts/busts than the NBA or NFL.

llaar Game profile

Jun 9th 2010, 16:19:49

if this thread was moved to general why is it on FFA board

kemo Game profile

Jun 9th 2010, 17:15:54

cause you touch yourself at night
all praised to ra

Detmer Game profile

Jun 9th 2010, 17:19:25

Tim Lincecum's debut wasn't spectacular but he is. One game does not a pitcher make.

ICe Man

Jun 10th 2010, 1:04:11

I think Strasburg might flop -- I have more faith in Bryce Harper, personally.

braden Game profile

Jun 10th 2010, 2:12:22

i don't have time to read all of this, but i intend to tomorrow morning,.

the kid was fluffing incredible. i don't know about you other al'ers, but i can't wait for the nationals to come to town, and have him as a probable starter. it would be great to see him pitch live.

braden Game profile

Jun 10th 2010, 2:14:03

to the doubters, how do you fluff up that late movement? unless you start throwing that (fluffing sick) curveball in peoples wheelhouses, or walk the fluff out of your whip, you can't lose.

look at what aj burnett does, and you gotta figure he's at least that, but without the little girls arm (who can still throw ninety seven, somehow)

ICe Man

Jun 10th 2010, 13:31:59

Too much Hype -- kid will crack, I'm afraid. I think he had a bad run already before he become a phenom right?