Verified:

tellarion Game profile

Oct 5th 2015, 14:55:29

Originally posted by Vic:
seems pretty ambiguous to say "next time this type of issue arises"... "Regardless of location"... The "authorities", involved will look to this previous situation? Exactly what is "kind of" how our legal system works in the U.S.?
Care to explain more specifically? Seems really broad and reeks of rhetoric

I thought I was being quite specific. Legal decisions are not made in a vacuum. Situations like this inevitably end up in the courts, and the various parts of our judicial system are constantly observing how each other handle these types of cases. That's how a little 'local' issue ends up making a huge impact at the national level. That's why SCOTUS ended up delivering a ruling about same sex marriage in the first place: it started at the local level and worked it's way up the system.

How is that reeking of rhetoric? As I said, that's how the system works...

Originally posted by Atryn:
Originally posted by Cerberus:
OK, that's fine by me. :) Set up a state sponsored term for it, and call it that then. Why force the redefinition of "marriage" down everyone's throats.

We have such terminology now. Civil Unions. Clearly it was a mistake for the government to have ever gotten involved in marriage in the first place. A great example of why separation of church and state is important. Marriage is a religiously defined institution and the definition will vary based on your religious views. So keep government out of it. A Civil Union can be defined by the government as a contractual matter without any biases or preferential treatments. Leave marriages to the people and their churches.

Non-religious people get married too, you know. Or people from a variety of religions that do not at all agree with each other. I think the opposite is happening here: Conservative Christians are taking what is and has been a fundamental aspect of HUMANITY for generations and stamping their own label on it, then saying nobody else can touch it. That's like me licking a cookie and saying 'it's mine!'.