Verified:

Ballsy Game profile

Oct 16th 2011, 13:35:42

Hi, as you will realise I'm new. Is a strategy of 50% Industry and 50% Tech any good? Saw some places where it says to just pick one and go with that. I want a huge army/missiles/spies but also want the tech advantages. Is this complete naivity?

Marshal Game profile

Oct 16th 2011, 14:21:01

its better to specialize than do 2 or more things.
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

Ballsy Game profile

Oct 16th 2011, 14:27:45

Havin to sell my army to buy tech is the way to go? won't that always leave me low on troops until i'm larger. i kinda want to start attackin pretty soon

Marshal Game profile

Oct 16th 2011, 15:06:42

if you want attack early then produce jets mostly and few percentage (5%) of troops and few percentage (10%) of turrets to avoid 1 troop and 1 jet attacks against you and also buy few k tanks to avoid 1 tank attacks. spy prod. is good to set on 10%.

sell max mil. of daily and with that money buy techs you want and build up.
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

afaik Game profile

Oct 17th 2011, 5:14:35

Yea 50/50 is bad for tech in particular because as I understand it, the efficiency of tech production is related to the % of acres built as labs, not just the total number of labs.

Doing an early tech phase is viable though, e.g. mon techer to fasc farmer, or even commie techer to commie indy which I'm having a go at currently.

If you want to b a good fighter though, you need to netgain strongly from the outset... So focus on economy first, then switch to fight mode when you're well setup.

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 18th 2011, 18:40:08

You want to produce either jets or turrets (which ever makes you the most profit/ what you want to do i.e. if you want to do a lot of attacking you might do jets). Then buy some troops and tanks with your profits along with tech.

As an indy producing troops or tanks usually isn't the best as you don't normally make as much profit per acre.

I haven't played indy for a while but what I used to do was have like 80% on jets, 15% on turrets, and 5% on spies then buy some troops and tanks if I wanted some protection from AB's. If for some reason I wanted to pump up tanks I'd switch some production there temporally for a few turns.

Another tip for any indy would be to play your turns more frequently. i.e. every 12 hours play turns. This gives you an additional market sell per day and helps you afford the extra things like tech, building, food, and running your turns in general.

Ballsy Game profile

Oct 19th 2011, 7:16:12

Thanks for the help. Stayin with industrial. Should I buy all tech or only the war/industrial ones? Also finding I have a very low population and a very low income compared to the people on the same score.

afaik Game profile

Oct 19th 2011, 7:27:19

That's ok, basically ignore your income and pop until mid set when prices come down. It should be costing you money and food to spend turns, as you make your income almost exclusively through sales in the early to mid game.

Focus initially on Indy tech almost exclusively, and just build Indys and sell mill frequently. Turrets have by far the highest turnover so best to produce. Save up cash until you're attacking then invest in fighting techs so that you aren't paying premium prices until you need them... Tech prices tend to drop throughout the set (but do still grab any cheap you see that might benefit your playing style)

If you are exploring for land do batch explores as it's more efficient (e.g. If you explore 45 turns from 1800 acres, at an explore rate of 40a per turn, all 45 turns yield 45a. If you explore them one at a time, the explore rate will drop with periodically and you get less land.

Something tells me you won't be exploring much, but o thought I'd drop it in there anyway. I find it is most efficient to explore to at least 5k acres before attacking foe land.

afaik Game profile

Oct 19th 2011, 7:28:26

)

*for those with OCD amongst us ;)

Drinks Game profile

Nov 7th 2011, 12:08:19

hahaha afaik!
<Drinks> going to bed
<Drinks> pm me if I get hit
<-- Drinks is now known as DrinksInBed -->
<DrinksInBed> looks like I'm an alcoholic

afaik Game profile

Nov 8th 2011, 11:45:39

I don't flash in public for similar reasons... The epileptics would have a fit... ...
:P

See, now that post was def worthy of a bonus lol

iOsiris Game profile

Nov 9th 2011, 3:34:55

What if you specialized and then switched? Does that work?

afaik Game profile

Nov 9th 2011, 6:42:44

Yes, I run commie tech starts on several servers... Usually I'd do an Indy start then convert and tech on about 3ka, convert back to Indys and go from there.