Verified:

braden Game profile

Jun 24th 2017, 21:58:45

(Ha- as if all science wasn't fake)

But in star trek, the federation runs starfleet- do those in the political aspect of the federation, are they starfleet or is it like murca today where you can't wear a uniform (be in starfleet) and serve public office?

Marshal Game profile

Jun 24th 2017, 22:12:19

this http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/...ted_Federation_of_Planets answers your question more or less well.
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

beerdrinker75 Game profile

EE Patron

Jun 24th 2017, 22:13:13

I don't know the answer to your question but damn that Seven of Nine was a hottie.
Just shut up and have another beer

braden Game profile

Jun 24th 2017, 22:45:49

How are long range sensors supposed to work?

Scan light years ahead? Scan is like multitudes faster than maximum warp? What are they sending out that bounces back that much faster than light?

Oh, I know star trek so tacheons and some fluff so why don't they make a tachyon engines with warp and move faster than their physics say they can?

Just reverse the polarity of the warp subspace generating field and maximize the quantum Flux between etc etc etc etc and solve every problem ever

and a weird noise in the Jeffries tube? Who asks "hey, whose there?" Instead of "computer scan for life forms. Computer scan and tell me what just made noise. Computer scan for anything that you do not know and send this info immediately to the bridge, lest I die or end up in the past"

Huh? What? Wait.. no !!

Computer ops

And we are left to think starfleet has logic on their side?
I call bulls hit, barrister.

mrford Game profile

Jun 24th 2017, 23:33:04

Voyage > DS9 > TNG
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

Gerdler Game profile

Forum Moderator

Jun 24th 2017, 23:41:31

Hubble is a long range sensor?

You don't actually need to send anything out to get information on distant planets, just catch the light and interpret it. hubble can look at a small area and it takes computers days to interpret it. 130 years from now when Enterprise is up and running I'd imagine we'd have faster computers and maybe somekind of magnetic lenses that focus the light from a larger area of space at the same time so that vast areas can be scanned for habitable planets in a fraction of the time it takes now. Remember that the whole star trek universe is in a quadrant of the milky way, so we are "only" talking a few thousand light-years.

The only thing I don't like about star trek is their communistic economic system. They suggest that other incentives has taken over the role of money, such as the need to better oneself of humanity. what a load of hippie BS, right? On the other hand the higher up the heirarchy they come the hotter and more frequent are the chicks. That would work but what motivates the chicks when they can just set the microwave for a new pair of shoes or a hand-bag.

Fck I'm such a chauvanistic pig I should be ashamed of myself.

Edited By: Gerdler on Jun 24th 2017, 23:46:29
See Original Post

braden Game profile

Jun 25th 2017, 2:13:30

But hubble takes in light. If we could travel at light we wouldn't need to wait for it to come to us. If they are long range sensing for romulan the romulan aren't sitting still for three years while the light gets to the enterprises hubble.

And even if they did catch a glimpse if it travels at warp by the time you're there they're years of light travel away.

I like how fake science and "real" science conversations are the same.

braden Game profile

Jun 25th 2017, 2:14:33

When everybody can replicate the same handbag tiberius' flufftail turns to gold.

Marshal Game profile

Jun 25th 2017, 10:01:57

how nice that even braden's sensor question has been answered (atleast somewhat), https://scifi.stackexchange.com/...eet-sensors-actually-work

drkprinc Game profile

Jun 25th 2017, 13:33:58

Originally posted by braden:
But hubble takes in light. If we could travel at light we wouldn't need to wait for it to come to us. If they are long range sensing for romulan the romulan aren't sitting still for three years while the light gets to the enterprises hubble.

And even if they did catch a glimpse if it travels at warp by the time you're there they're years of light travel away.

I like how fake science and "real" science conversations are the same.

the information that the scanners are picking up could be through "sub-space" where space/time is stacked upon itself or folded, so distance is irrelevant, another theory could think of is the scanners are using the same alcubierre field as the warp engines to send/recieve the information so its travelling faster then light.
(<(<>(<>.(<>..<>).<>)<>)>)

zz.ghqnet.com - 0.o
http://LaF.center - LaF
imp.ghqnet.com - IMP

Zorp Game profile

Jun 26th 2017, 1:58:16

Easy braden, subspace. This is the all encompassing term used to justify FTL communication and sensing. Basically, you can broadcast this fluff and make it pop back into normal space wherever you want, virtually instantaneously. This is how you can scan the far reaches of the quadrant in real time, and also why Voyager can still communicate with the Federation from a different quadrant.

The original Warho Game profile

EE Patron

Jun 26th 2017, 14:25:44

you are correct SIR!

Marshal Game profile

Jun 26th 2017, 15:32:32

in old tv show capt. janeway and rest of voyager's officers didn't communicate with federation at all (although i haven't seen any episode beyond 1st season9.

braden Game profile

Jun 26th 2017, 17:37:56

So you saw fit to comment on 156 episodes of a TV series you have not watched?

The Korean police action never ended, but I did skip that last episode of mash..

Marshal Game profile

Jun 26th 2017, 19:36:40

i have read that they eventually returned home.

braden Game profile

Jun 26th 2017, 22:57:45

Mash does make for a good read.

Very well written scripts.

braden Game profile

Jun 28th 2017, 15:29:27

When they travel at warp speeds they show suns in the distance passing by suggesting movement.. but if they're travelling at magnitudes the speed of light the light would never catch them for them to see

Why can't warp drive move at warp ten but subspace communications seemingly can?

Marshal Game profile

Jun 28th 2017, 19:17:57

warp 10+ are considesired unsafe velocities.

braden Game profile

Jun 28th 2017, 22:38:59

fifty six is considered unsafe velocities.

thank you, marshal, for your ever pertinent commentary.

braden Game profile

Jun 28th 2017, 22:43:21

why is it not safe to travel fast?
people can get booboos.

why can the made up physics in a made up universe not work past warp factor ten?
it can if Q or other beings/events that control physics occur to manipulate, but as the made up science stands the universe will not allow warp 10 speed

these, marshal, i'm sorry, but these are the same questions and the same answers?

Marshal Game profile

Jun 29th 2017, 0:52:33

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Warp_factor

warp 10+ is possible like link says but only some races use it.

Q isn't humanoid nor from same plane of existence as humans so different laws of physics (if there even are laws of physics in that place where "he" comes from).

why warp 10+ is considered dangerous you should ask from gene roddenberry except he died when you were sucking your "milk"bottle.

Serpentor Game profile

Jun 29th 2017, 6:27:52

Probably 10+ is too much for the materials of the ship to handle. Everything has its limits.

Star Wars was better than trek anyways.
The EEVIL Empire

drkprinc Game profile

Jun 29th 2017, 8:26:53

if you take it into reality warp speed multiplies your base speed so every warp speed is an exponent so starting at 10m/s to 10^10 for warp 10 isn't as dangerous as 20m/s at 10^10

zz.ghqnet.com - 0.o
imp.ghqnet.com - IMP

Marshal Game profile

Jun 29th 2017, 13:21:50

Originally posted by Serpentor:
Probably 10+ is too much for the materials of the ship to handle. Everything has its limits.

well hulls can withstand lasers and photon torpedos amongst other things so .........

in sw there's over and sub lightspeed so less to scratch head.

braden Game profile

Jun 29th 2017, 17:31:03

I thought 10 was unattainable because it's infinite speed.

sinistril Game profile

Jun 29th 2017, 18:39:03

Originally posted by Marshal:
Originally posted by Serpentor:

well hulls can withstand lasers and photon torpedos amongst other things so .........

in sw there's over and sub lightspeed so less to scratch head.

To be fair, only hulls of ships that are central to the plot can withstand lasers and photon torpedos, so basically, never go warp 10 without a main character on board.

Also, make sure you are not wearing a red shirt when doing so...
If you give a man some fire, he'll be warm for awhile. If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Marshal Game profile

Jun 29th 2017, 19:42:20

or be any non-esstential staff member.

drkprinc Game profile

Jun 30th 2017, 13:56:11

in star trek anything above warp 10 upto warp 39 is transwarp and it varies between the show, but out of sci-fi warp is just an exponent of your base speed if you use the alcubierre theory where you shrink space in front and expand it behind you, so your limit is how much tidal forces you can withstand and without a way to dampen these you would be ripped apart before you reached warp 1 running a base of 10 m/s (1g), but if you have a way to dampen all inertia your only limit is how much power you can provide to the alcubierre drive, so warp googel or warp googelplex or warp infinity is possible.

zz.ghqnet.com - 0.o
imp.ghqnet.com - IMP

archaic Game profile

Jul 1st 2017, 13:26:41

You can go faster than warp 10, but ludicrous speed is pretty dangerous.
Cheating Mod Hall of Shame: Dark Morbid, Turtle Crawler, Sov

drkprinc Game profile

Jul 1st 2017, 17:22:54

here is warp snow

https://www.facebook.com/...videos/10156460445790277/

not as dangerous but still fun

btw anyone sees Azn this is for him especially.

zz.ghqnet.com - 0.o
imp.ghqnet.com - IMP

Marshal Game profile

Jul 1st 2017, 19:34:00

yes but 1. he doesn't check forums much and 2. even less checks team talk.

Uncle James Game profile

Jul 5th 2017, 20:15:03

The hull of the ship is very thin Titanium and can just barely withstand a rock when I throw it from my window as I drive past. What keeps the ship and the contents in one piece is the energy shielding produced by the warp engines, I suppose is electrical in nature. So when they lose power which seems to happen all the time its the loss of energy which is the loss of the energy shield protecting the hull from damage. And like everything else in this world as EINSTEIN told us all in 1905> E= MC SQUARED. E is the energy required to make the MASS which is the Enterprise go the speed of light which is C squared. So those warp cores have to pump out some serious power to get to Warp 10 And they just do not have enough UMFFF to do it yet<

Marshal Game profile

Jul 5th 2017, 20:17:58