Verified:

Pain Game profile

Aug 20th 2010, 19:39:28

wondering what exactly is considered a top feed?

grabbing someone with more land but similar networth?
grabbing someone with more land and more net?
grabbing someone with similiar land but more net?

Your mother is a nice woman

Trife Game profile

Aug 20th 2010, 19:42:26

Not this fluff again...

paladin Game profile

Aug 20th 2010, 20:00:21

*facedesk*
-Paladin
Why the hell am I here?

Marshal Game profile

Aug 20th 2010, 20:28:24

i think many alliances have their own definitions.

at 1 point 1k or over was topfeed at alliance/council server.
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

Chewi Game profile

Aug 20th 2010, 20:53:36

It is what ever your alliance can enforce.

Marshal Game profile

Aug 20th 2010, 21:00:41

Originally posted by Chewi:
It is what ever your alliance can enforce.

yea until war starts and winner decides definition.

Ivan Game profile

Aug 20th 2010, 21:36:45

I think usually people define it as a topfeed if the retaller cant get it back in 1 hit its a topfeed

iZarcon Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Aug 20th 2010, 21:53:12

Heh, so easy to take the bait on that suggestion, ivan.

But, i agree that clans generally only push any top feed bs these days if they can enforce it.

The only real definition i ever heard for top feed was grabbing someone with a higher networth than you, possibly even more land, but i never agreed with that. Old old earth was good for that.

Fact is, not many real top feeds happen anymore. Its much better to hit someone within 5% of your networth.

The problem with retals not getting full acreage back is likely due to the offending country drastically changing networth to keep from being retalled for too much due to a bigger networth difference.
-iZarcon
EE Developer

http://www.letskillstuff.org

Detmer Game profile

Aug 20th 2010, 22:01:13

Originally posted by iZarcon:

But, i agree that clans generally only push any top feed bs these days if they can enforce it.

The only real definition i ever heard for top feed was grabbing someone with a higher networth than you, possibly even more land, but i never agreed with that. Old old earth was good for that.

Fact is, not many real top feeds happen anymore. Its much better to hit someone within 5% of your networth.

The problem with retals not getting full acreage back is likely due to the offending country drastically changing networth to keep from being retalled for too much due to a bigger networth difference.

How is Ivan baiting you? That is the definition I always used.

Marshal Game profile

Aug 20th 2010, 22:12:28

its not that hard to make a grab where retaller can't get all back on 1 hit (maybe if retaller is tyr with maxed mil strat tech).

SolidSnake Game profile

Aug 20th 2010, 22:32:22

no one said topfeeding was hard

ponderer Game profile

Aug 20th 2010, 22:36:00

I take more land from you with a single grab than you can get from me in one retal.

It's basically sour grapes that the land trade wasn't equal.
m0m0rific

Fooglmog Game profile

Aug 20th 2010, 23:29:13

Any attack can be considred a top feed if the defending player claims it is and the attacking player is not willing to fight to contest the definition.

Any attack you ever make on me will be a top feed. No attack I make on you will ever be a top feed.

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

snawdog Game profile

Aug 20th 2010, 23:54:18

I think the real problem here is the labeling of 'feeding'...top,mid and bottom.
Actually it is all just feeding period.
Politics want to insert these names to define why I can't properly defend my land.
I have been on both ends of this feeding.
What it really comes down to is what can you defend or what are you prepared to lose on/for an attack.
If you can grab 2k acres and are savy enuff to defend it..good,but be prepared for the one country/alliance that is ready to say fluffit,and drive you to the dirt.
I'll try it either way...
ICQ 364553524
msn

Angel1 Game profile

Aug 21st 2010, 0:45:50

Originally posted by iZarcon:

This last point is a reason for alliance-wide retalling.
-Angel1

de1i Game profile

Aug 21st 2010, 0:59:02

When TIL (IX at least) announced they would be enforcing land:land retals entirely too many years ago they left the definition open.

Although it was basically if we hit you back once and don't get all of our land back, we will hit you again. Although I think there was some BS involving DHs.

Blast from the past :)

http://hosting.boxcarhosting.net:8080/...hivepost.jsp?thread=24619

Oh and it was a 1 sided policy <3

snawdog Game profile

Aug 21st 2010, 1:21:17

Originally posted by de1i:
When TIL (IX at least) announced they would be enforcing land:land retals entirely too many years ago they left the definition open.

Although it was basically if we hit you back once and don't get all of our land back, we will hit you again. Although I think there was some BS involving DHs.

Blast from the past :)

http://hosting.boxcarhosting.net:8080/...hivepost.jsp?thread=24619

Oh and it was a 1 sided policy <3

yea, that is L:L with a netters topfeed twist...

My explanation was closer to the truth...
ICQ 364553524
msn

SaRaveok Game profile

Aug 21st 2010, 1:21:36

if you cant defend your land, you shouldn't have it

nuff said
General of The Fallen
---------------------------
MSN:
IRC: #thefallen on Gamesurge

Application For The Fallen: http://www.boxcarhosting.com/...pplication.php?appID=1142

Angel1 Game profile

Aug 21st 2010, 1:22:24

Exactly, if LGers can't defend their land, they shouldn't have it.
-Angel1

snawdog Game profile

Aug 21st 2010, 1:22:44

Originally posted by SaRaveok:
if you cant defend your land, you shouldn't have it

nuff said

exactly
ICQ 364553524
msn

Pain Game profile

Aug 21st 2010, 1:23:28

it was a legit question. ive been away from earth for years up until 4 months ago. i dont know how policy has changed since i played last. it used to mean grabbing someone much larger in both networth and land, which was usually possible due to running too little defense or someone running an all jetter.

the reason i ask is because pretty much everyone on my scores screen, above and well below me have anywhere from 50-100% more land then me. grabbing any of them by some of your definition would be a top feed, which is bullfluff IMO.

i dont care that i would be retalled by the clan i grabbed, thats perfectly acceptable. but the fact that if the retal they take nets them a few hundred acres less then i took, they feel they are entitled to another grab which puts me upside down, even though the country may have been smaller then me.

Ivan Game profile

Aug 21st 2010, 1:24:03

dumbest thing ive ever heard since most topfeeders doesnt seem to be able to keep it and get away with it then they shouldnt do the hits in the first place either

snawdog Game profile

Aug 21st 2010, 1:25:33

Originally posted by Pain:
it was a legit question. ive been away from earth for years up until 4 months ago. i dont know how policy has changed since i played last. it used to mean grabbing someone much larger in both networth and land, which was usually possible due to running too little defense or someone running an all jetter.

the reason i ask is because pretty much everyone on my scores screen, above and well below me have anywhere from 50-100% more land then me. grabbing any of them by some of your definition would be a top feed, which is bullfluff IMO.

i dont care that i would be retalled by the clan i grabbed, thats perfectly acceptable. but the fact that if the retal they take nets them a few hundred acres less then i took, they feel they are entitled to another grab which puts me upside down, even though the country may have been smaller then me.

I agree..topfeed definition is stupid..i would grab and say...come get your retal
ICQ 364553524
msn

snawdog Game profile

Aug 21st 2010, 1:26:52

1:1..if they don't like it...war it be
ICQ 364553524
msn

de1i Game profile

Aug 21st 2010, 1:27:29

It isn't a question of whether or not your country can defend your land, it's if your alliance your right to take/keep it ;)

snawdog Game profile

Aug 21st 2010, 1:29:46

I am in a tag that gets warred/smacked down most every set...but we DO play by our interpretation of fair play..
Join us!

http://www.boxcarhosting.com/...ation.php?clanID=Paradigm
ICQ 364553524
msn

Ivan Game profile

Aug 21st 2010, 1:30:18

deli hit it right on the head there

Pain Game profile

Aug 21st 2010, 1:30:41

well maybe ill make a grab and see what the outcome is then.

deli whats your country number.

archaic Game profile

Aug 21st 2010, 2:05:49

IMO the definition of topfeeding is more related to somebody making an obvious attempt to exploit it. 11k grabs 13k - not a TF in my book, but 7k grabs 21k, thats pushing it.

People that said "if you cant defend your land, you shouldn't have it" are silly. Its been proven over and over that if somebody wants your land badly enough, you cannot stop them from taking it. Hence the reason for alliance wide retalling.
Cheating Mod Hall of Shame: Dark Morbid, Turtle Crawler, Sov

snawdog Game profile

Aug 21st 2010, 2:31:34

Originally posted by archaic:
IMO the definition of topfeeding is more related to somebody making an obvious attempt to exploit it. 11k grabs 13k - not a TF in my book, but 7k grabs 21k, thats pushing it.

People that said "if you cant defend your land, you shouldn't have it" are silly. Its been proven over and over that if somebody wants your land badly enough, you cannot stop them from taking it. Hence the reason for alliance wide retalling.

Exactly..if you can't defend it,then stfu...
ICQ 364553524
msn

Detmer Game profile

Aug 21st 2010, 2:33:52

That is the whole problem for a jetter grabbing a defense heavy person - they can generally break each other... do we have an infinite cycle of circle jerk? If the defender can take it back from the attacker I feel that the attacker should have never bothered in the first place so as not to waste either person's time.

snawdog Game profile

Aug 21st 2010, 2:40:32

ohh..We can't do that...they call it land trading...
ICQ 364553524
msn

enshula Game profile

EE Patron

Aug 21st 2010, 6:13:51

theres 3 main outcomes of grabbing:

1) grab someone smaller than you or who cant retal you, you benefit they lose, unless you do poor grabs
2) grab someone similar size to you who can retal you, you benefit as long as you keep enough land from the exchange, and they benefit as long as they gain enough land to make up for lost turns buildings mil and any disruption such as having to blow stock
3) grab someone larger than you (or with advantages such as nw bracket, mil strat, gov, DR) who can retal you, your much more certain that theres no way you will come out behind after 1 retal and its very unlikely they wont be negatively impacted

topfeeding is basically the third option but as soon as you call it topfeeding everyone starts arguing about the name not what the goal is

Yamaha Game profile

Aug 21st 2010, 6:27:18

I say if I have as many turrets as I have jets and I can break you I don't care how big you are it's a legit. LG.

You might retal me, or one of your alliance mates might retal me, either way I'm not going to cry about it I'm going to probably see if there are anymore of your members that are to fat for their own good and help them out with that as well. If not, then off to give the next fatty alliance something to gripe about.
Paradigm - The Nuthouse
IMP - Haters Gonna Hate

Ivan Game profile

Aug 21st 2010, 7:13:16

And in the end you will have achieved nothing but whatever rocks your boat heh

Viceroy Game profile

Aug 21st 2010, 7:30:03

Is it still a top feed if the 21k country has a lower NW than the 7k country, or can we just call him fat?
And, Monsters, do not forget to specify, when time and place shall serve, that I am an ass.

Yamaha Game profile

Aug 21st 2010, 7:33:33

Exactly! I LG'ed people and they LG'd me back... I consider that fun. I'd prefer they don't kill me, but that also is part of the GAME that we play.

This is a multi-faceted game, therefore there are many different playing styles. Obviously with many different playing styles everyone has to constantly tweak their strategies to maximize the effectiveness of their style or adopt a different one. Standardized rules imposed by the players can imply what is moral and immoral, but unless it's coded into the game as a mechanical limitation by Pang and Co. it is fair game.

As far as achieving a high ending networth or surviving the set with my first country goes I would have achieved nothing. However, neither of these are a goal of mine. I do enjoy LG'ing and will continue to do it, not excessively and not to the point of farming. (and by this I mean not hitting one country many times, I don't believe hitting multiple countries in a tag with legit LG's constitutes farming. It means the alliance as a whole needs to work on their turret count)
Paradigm - The Nuthouse
IMP - Haters Gonna Hate

Ivan Game profile

Aug 21st 2010, 8:37:30

So when the alliance beats the fluff out of you im sure it means that your alliance as a whole needs to work on not annoying others?

archaic Game profile

Aug 21st 2010, 18:56:28

For example, #158. Every grab he makes is a 'topfeed', it is impossible to get your acres back from him and to keep him off of you you need to carry about 200 turrets per acre. In the old days I would have had him killed after the second hit - but in these kinder gentler times, I just fluff at everybody to get the turrets up.

FYI snawdog, you are a tool. You should try defending your acres from me sometime. 'STFU' is a very rude and classless thing to keep spewing - learn some new material.
Cheating Mod Hall of Shame: Dark Morbid, Turtle Crawler, Sov

snawdog Game profile

Aug 21st 2010, 19:08:04

Well, to be honest, i do not have any class..
After reading the post you are referring to,i can see were you would think i was directing that at you..I wasn't ,it was meant as a general 'stfu'.
I apologize if i offended you.
And were do you see me 'keep spewing' it?
ICQ 364553524
msn

Marshal Game profile

Aug 21st 2010, 20:59:16

Originally posted by Pain:
well maybe ill make a grab and see what the outcome is then.

it really depends on what tag you hit, let's say you get 1k-1.5k acres + ghosts then some will retal you 1:1 and some will retal l:l and some will retal l:l including ghost acres you got.

Yamaha Game profile

Aug 21st 2010, 21:33:36

but in these kinder gentler times, I just fluff at everybody to get the turrets up.

If by "kinder and gentler times" you mean "massive web of interweaved politics compounding on each other indefinitely", then you should definitely just kill him.
Paradigm - The Nuthouse
IMP - Haters Gonna Hate