Verified:

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jul 18th 2010, 1:16:47

As some of you may have noticed, news is now different! :)

Why the change?

Before the text for news was generated as it happened, and stored into the db;

Now it is generated on load from the news tables and whatnot.

This makes it 50x faster or so ;)

But above all, it lets us do a little more with it, as we have all the numbers set already and we can play with it a bit more ;) And don't have to store things.

Also, it allows us to select news by type; you'll notice below "See All News" there are now a few options:

Defending Ally Spy Market Aid Clan

Those options themselves are aggregates of sub-categories, so if people want exactly what types are shown in there tweaked, that can be done.

I decided to make Defending news & Allied news tabular so that it was more easily readable, and could be copy & pasted more easily to boot. I always found that I was just skimming over the numbers and never got a very good idea of exactly what happened; this should be changed now.

Furthermore the system has allowed us to incorporate such things as ally losses when you are defending. This is limited to defending ally losses for the moment, although off ally losses could be added in the future.

Thanks!

As always, leave your thoughts, comments, and suggestions here, and we will address them in good time :)
Finally did the signature thing.

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jul 18th 2010, 1:17:56

Please note, you'll have to refresh for the css to kick in; it might look a little strange otherwise.

snawdog Game profile

Jul 18th 2010, 1:20:35

Seen it and likes it alot(posted in GT)
ICQ 364553524
msn

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jul 18th 2010, 1:20:43

Also, this has effectively removed news from more than about 2 weeks ago from "recent news". If you need specific news from before that time, PM me and I can retrieve it for you, though I doubt anybody will need really old news. :)

snawdog Game profile

Jul 18th 2010, 1:26:29

OMG! Just refreshed and seen the full effect..That is AWESOME!..Thanks...
ICQ 364553524
msn

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jul 18th 2010, 2:51:00

This news appearance has been merged into the Attacking news as well ;)

Elvish Magi

Jul 18th 2010, 5:51:26

Very nice :)

However, as it is being generated on the fly, is there any reason why it can't be listed in inverse order - ie. most recent first?

When clicking on the catagories it would save scrolling through what could be grow to be a very long list to get to the bits I would have thought would be of greatest interest to most.

MSN:
AIM: ElvMagi

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jul 18th 2010, 6:05:44

ya, we can do any order... do people think it should be in time descending order rather than time ascending?

enshula Game profile

EE Patron

Jul 18th 2010, 9:00:53

i like the current order

the first change i can think of you might be able to incorporate now is selling and purchase price showing on market items, particularly purchase price from orders, since your order price is a max, while your selling price is fixed

would also be nice to have break downs of teching info

particularly what amount of wasted tech you didnt receive from your allies

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jul 18th 2010, 17:04:27

particularly what amount of wasted tech you didnt receive from your allies

hah... that's good; yea maybe we can think about adding in stuff like that too :)

also prices should be quite doable yea -- though you do have the quantity and total cost lol... but yea

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jul 18th 2010, 19:44:41

K you can now reverse the order ;)

Mr Midnight

Jul 18th 2010, 20:20:36

When I click on "see all news" I get a hugh empty space at the top of the page and its hard to actually scroll down to see the news.

I have cleared my cash refreshed, reloaded and still it doesnt seem to display correctly.

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jul 18th 2010, 20:31:51

Yea, that'll be because you're using IE; we'll have a fix for that later today

Elvish Magi

Jul 18th 2010, 21:44:11

That's great - thank you :)
MSN:
AIM: ElvMagi