Verified:

Sifos Game profile

Dec 8th 2010, 14:53:26

Why would anyone chose 1 extra turns worth of exploration before 2 turns that could give both income and land? I guess it'd be used to buff up batches, but since I don't think the explore rate ever drops to less than half during a batch, the 2 turns are always better.
Imaginary Numbers
If you're important enough to contact me, you will know how to contact me.
Self appointed emperor of the Order of Bunnies.
The only way to be certain your allies will not betray you is to kill them all!

iZarcon Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Dec 8th 2010, 16:05:06

the two turns will be disappearing after this reset.
-iZarcon
EE Developer

http://www.letskillstuff.org

BobbyATA Game profile

Dec 8th 2010, 16:18:56

this is true of all the bonuses except perhaps attack/spy strength which you can't directly compare, but all other bonuses are dominated by the turn bonus.

dantzig Game profile

Dec 8th 2010, 17:56:26

Bobby--I think that's the point. They're trying to introduce the new bonus system gradually. The way they've done things makes it available to us but no one is penalized for not using it until next reset.
FoG

BobbyATA Game profile

Dec 8th 2010, 20:15:15

for sure man, note I don't say anything bad about the new bonus system

dantzig Game profile

Dec 8th 2010, 20:24:06

I'll say that this bonus really does blow.

10 turns @ + 10% explore rate
base explore rate = 40 for every gov't but R
so an average of 40 extra acres for 2 bonus points if they're used while a country is still at its max explore rate? the bonus can only be used 3 times/country so that would be a total of an extra 120 acres/country max vs 60 turns of +10% production!!!
R's would get a whopping 144 extra acres
FoG

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Dec 8th 2010, 20:33:24

I think the thought around the explore bonus is that you use it for batch explores. I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but I'll bring it up just in case it's not known.

You can only use it 3 times, and because of the way batch exploring works, if you use it to start the batch explore, you will get that explore rate for the whole batch.

So if your base rate is 40a and you use the 10% bonus and do a batch explore of 120 turns, your base will be 44a for all 120 turns. That would be a ~500a bonus. That is certainly worthwhile, IMO. We limited it to 3 uses because it's pretty powerful when used in a batch exploring context.

Edited By: Pang on Dec 8th 2010, 20:50:41
See Original Post
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

dantzig Game profile

Dec 8th 2010, 20:56:24

That helps it a little, I suppose.

I'm a complete noob all over again but back in the day, I was taught to never batch explore unless I was playing an all-x country and my explore rate was about to change significantly (e.g. from 10 to 9). Is batch exploring at the beginning of the game when your explore rate is 40 really a good idea? It seems like it would just make you landfat and attract LGs. So a 10% explore bonus would just make the country 10% fatter and then everyone who grabbed it would get 10% more land.

Also, in order to do a batch explore of 120 turns @ an exploration rate of 40, the country would already have to have ~4800 acres built which would make the explore rate much less than 40...
FoG

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Dec 8th 2010, 21:04:08

the 40a comments I made are just an example...

you'll have to work it out for yourselves in your own situations to see if it's worthwhile to use :)
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff

enshula Game profile

EE Patron

Dec 8th 2010, 21:07:11

you spend 2 turns to gain about 4.5 turns so net +2.5 turns worth of land but -2 turns production

or at 3597 acres you do 132*25=3300 then get 330 free acres (280 net)

so thats spending 2 turns to get 13.2 turns of exploring for free and net +11.2 turns

youd probably actually miss 1 turn of exploring there but thats nt important

highrock Game profile

Dec 8th 2010, 21:21:47

Pang,

are you sure that the explore bonus applies to all turns in your batch explore? i tested this out last night and i got a message 10 turns into my batch explore than told me the explore bonus ended...
formerly Viola MD

BobbyATA Game profile

Dec 8th 2010, 21:23:52

@ Pang,

It was not clear that it would help for your entire batch.

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Dec 8th 2010, 21:38:04

maybe if we had some content writers I could get them to write some stuff up :p

after coding stuff, I'm usually too wiped to write meaningful content... as my announcement posts usually show :p

Edited By: Pang on Dec 8th 2010, 21:41:45
See Original Post
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff

highrock Game profile

Dec 8th 2010, 21:50:04

Pang,

Just wanted to clarify.

I got this message after turn 10 of my batch explore:

A bonus has expired:
+10% Base Explore Rate
You Produced: 84 Spies.

But it seems like the batch explore actually explored using the +10% rate for the whole batch (unless I got really lucky). So I'm guessing the message was just coded in automatically at turn 10, but the bonus actually applies to the whole batch?

Thanks!
formerly Viola MD

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Dec 8th 2010, 21:52:56

correct. The bonus will end, but the bonus will keep going for exploring.

Batch exploring and batch building are the only bonuses which work this way.
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff

highrock Game profile

Dec 9th 2010, 4:57:58

Edited By: highrock on Dec 9th 2010, 5:26:31
See Original Post
formerly Viola MD

Alicia Game profile

Dec 9th 2010, 5:20:36

oops!

dustfp Game profile

Dec 9th 2010, 5:33:12

for the first batch explore, all it would do is reduce turns spent on the batch, rather than increasing ur returns, since you will always hit 50% land unbuilt before running out of turns.
that said, saving turns isn't necessarily a bad thing ;)
as a non rep, batching at 1924 acres, you would normally spend 48~ turns exploring, whereas with the bonus u would spend only 44~
as a rep batching at 1918, you would normally spend 40~ turns, with the bonus u would spend 36~
so roughly 4 turns actually saved if using the bonus for first batch explore
-fudgepuppy
SancTuarY President
msn:
aim: fudgepuppy6988
http://collab.boxcarhosting.com

iZarcon Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Dec 9th 2010, 11:40:03

interesting.

Was also gonna say that when you get points from voting, ingame news(at least on mobile) says u got turns!
-iZarcon
EE Developer

http://www.letskillstuff.org

Sifos Game profile

Dec 9th 2010, 11:51:54

Originally posted by BobbyATA:
this is true of all the bonuses except perhaps attack/spy strength which you can't directly compare, but all other bonuses are dominated by the turn bonus.

I disagree. Mid game, the "action" of the turns arn't worth as much (unless you're at war), and not having to pay extra maintenance may be better than the "action" from the turn. This goes from a balancing question to a fact late game (10% during 10 turns means one maintenance free turns worth of income).

As for the exploration bonus, a better description is probably needed :P

Does this work the same way with ops btw? I.e. if I take the spy bonus and then do individual ops 9 times (since you can't make more than 10), then batch 10 ops.
Imaginary Numbers

Helmet Game profile

Dec 9th 2010, 14:56:51

Originally posted by Pang:
I think the thought around the explore bonus is that you use it for batch explores. I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but I'll bring it up just in case it's not known.

You can only use it 3 times, and because of the way batch exploring works, if you use it to start the batch explore, you will get that explore rate for the whole batch.

So if your base rate is 40a and you use the 10% bonus and do a batch explore of 120 turns, your base will be 44a for all 120 turns. That would be a ~500a bonus. That is certainly worthwhile, IMO. We limited it to 3 uses because it's pretty powerful when used in a batch exploring context.

Man, the cat's out of the bag already. :(

aponic Game profile

Dec 9th 2010, 15:50:51

and batch teching!
SOF
Cerevisi

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Dec 9th 2010, 15:52:38

only building / exploring works on the 9th/10th turn for a batch I believe
Finally did the signature thing.

BobbyATA Game profile

Dec 9th 2010, 17:16:53

Sifos, ok fair enough for a casher clicking the cash button getting the +10% income is better than just taking a free turn b/c you can avoid maintence costs. Good point=)

Sifos Game profile

Dec 9th 2010, 18:20:11

Originally posted by BobbyATA:
Sifos, ok fair enough for a casher clicking the cash button getting the +10% income is better than just taking a free turn b/c you can avoid maintence costs. Good point=)

Farmers has the food bonus, indies the indy bonus, techers has tech and oilers have oil :)

(poor resellers)
Imaginary Numbers

BobbyATA Game profile

Dec 9th 2010, 20:01:44

ya but for example with a techer you would rather tech 11 turns than 10 b/c your non-teching income ($$ per turn - maintence costs) is positive...

I think you don't want the turn bonus only when cashing (be it as a farmer/techer or oiler)

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Dec 9th 2010, 21:39:50

hmn i calculated last set that the +10% cashing would be better than the 2 extra turns for my 45kA casher last set.... but i was making $28M a turn and had significant expenses at 20M nw too...
Finally did the signature thing.

BobbyATA Game profile

Dec 9th 2010, 23:10:45

hrmmm I just realized some bonuses like farm production I think are more than 10 turns too, meaning late set they might be slightly worth it even if you are still "doing" things with your turns.