Verified:

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Dec 18th 2021, 1:45:01

There appears to be some legitimate confusion about the types of behavior that military sanctions are intended to curb. I will answer good-faith questions asked about that topic here. Feel free to ask general questions or to ask about specific scenarios, hypothetical or otherwise. I suggest reading through the opening post of this thread before asking questions: https://www.earthempires.com/...e-tool-49995?t=1621000742

Syko_Killa Game profile

Dec 18th 2021, 2:08:41

Sounds like we get to vote on this first?

I vote Nay=NO.
Do as I say, not as I do.

Gerdler Game profile

Forum Moderator

Dec 18th 2021, 2:29:25

1. If you get sanctioned during a reset, do the sanctions kick in right away or after set ends?
It seems anyone who is playing more than one solo server will have it happen midset somewhere if he is sanctioned. So basically what happens then?

-------------------
2. a) Are we on a new probationary period in terms of sanctions?
It seems like a lot of recent and repeating behavior fit the bill for what sanctions were meant to stop, but we saw Hungry still not getting sanctioned, but then got deleted this set.
b) So am I to interpret this as that all past actions are forgiven but now there will be staff action as described in the announcement forum?

SuperFly Game profile

Dec 18th 2021, 3:26:08

I have two honest well intentioned questions:

#1:

Why do sanctions not apply in 1a? Shouldn't everyone’s countries in 1a be more valuable (higher NW potential, longer set, no one runs defense to save on expenses, etc..) than express countries that we restart every 3-4 days?

How can we determine land grabs as a sanctionable offense? Does a server not having bots ei. Primary or tournament make it allowable or ok to farm the weakest lowest NW aka defenseless country and break GDI?

And does having bots in a server really make farming low NW/defenseless countries against the spirit of the server?

I guess the question really would be; does having or not having bots in a server determine if sanctioning due to over LGing applies to players?

Hungry for example is an idiot that ABs, GS and BRs everyone on every server and he only farms you if he can do to victim not having defense. That is a clear cut intention to suicide type of player.

Edited By: SuperFly on Dec 18th 2021, 3:36:53

g0nz0 Game profile

Dec 18th 2021, 4:40:31

Would sanctions be applied if:

I know the players are being lazy. They're all low defense, it's so fluffing boring. Look how fat they are. I'm going to build a war country. Lots of jets and spies. Okay, let's make a list. Start the ops. I knew it. Lazy fluffs. I do some quick calcs, guesstimate. I think 10 hits each will leave me enough to wall and get some cash ready. ReadysetGOOOOoooo!! >:))
I take 20,000 or so acres. Pancake 6-7 countries. I'll grab every 4 hours. I will do this until someone kills me.

g0nz0 Game profile

Dec 18th 2021, 5:08:10

I watch the news feeds. Grabs galore. Bots deep in the red. Hits slowing down. I'm thinking it's time. Build my base quickly. Won't need much offense, they're beached whales. I select my targets. Start ops. Check resources and calcs. What's my land goal? Let's say 20,000 acres.
ReadysetG00Oooo!! (_/*\_)
Cool. Got it. That was so efficient and cost effective. Let's get some defense and win this fluffing game!!
Am I in trouble?

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Dec 18th 2021, 6:39:42

Originally posted by Gerdler:
1. If you get sanctioned during a reset, do the sanctions kick in right away or after set ends?
It seems anyone who is playing more than one solo server will have it happen midset somewhere if he is sanctioned. So basically what happens then?

If a player account is placed under sanctions than any of their active countries are deleted in tourney, primary, and express. This is to avoid issues with a country suddenly being placed under sanctions in the middle of a reset.

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Dec 18th 2021, 6:41:08

Originally posted by Gerdler:
2. a) Are we on a new probationary period in terms of sanctions?
It seems like a lot of recent and repeating behavior fit the bill for what sanctions were meant to stop, but we saw Hungry still not getting sanctioned, but then got deleted this set.
b) So am I to interpret this as that all past actions are forgiven but now there will be staff action as described in the announcement forum?

2a) No.

2b) Penalties and warnings have been given out for past actions. I don't expect anything else to happen if players start behaving in a more sportsmanlike way.

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Dec 18th 2021, 6:45:06

Originally posted by SuperFly:
Why do sanctions not apply in 1a? Shouldn't everyone’s countries in 1a be more valuable (higher NW potential, longer set, no one runs defense to save on expenses, etc..) than express countries that we restart every 3-4 days?

Military sanctions are not an appropriate tool for servers with a politician dimension. Generally speaking, countries should be behaving as their clan wishes them to. Why should an individual country be sanctioned for something that his clan leader ordered him to do?

On clan servers, there are gameplay mechanics that could be applied to curb undesirable behavior such as allowing alliance leaders to specify alliance relationships ingame or reducing the destructive power of untagged countries.

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Dec 18th 2021, 6:54:29

How can we determine land grabs as a sanctionable offense? Does a server not having bots ei. Primary or tournament make it allowable or ok to farm the weakest lowest NW aka defenseless country and break GDI?

And does having bots in a server really make farming low NW/defenseless countries against the spirit of the server?

I guess the question really would be; does having or not having bots in a server determine if sanctioning due to over LGing applies to players?

Hungry for example is an idiot that ABs, GS and BRs everyone on every server and he only farms you if he can do to victim not having defense. That is a clear cut intention to suicide type of player.

Bots have nothing to do with it. Farming is not against the game rules. You should really be attacking other countries for one of two reasons:

1) Attempting to gain NW
2) Resolving a legitimate ingame issue

There are many legitimate reasons why a player might farm another player country. To name a few:

* the player suspects that the other country is inactive
* the player thinks that the other country won't or can't retal
* the player calculates that he will come out ahead if the two countries engage in war
* the player received a taunting ingame message
* the player is responding to harmful spy ops that occurred this set or last set

This is not an invitation to cloak griefing actions by claiming that one of the above happened when it didn't. Despite what some players think, player intent is usually pretty clear to the game staff, especially if they have been playing the game for a long time.

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Dec 18th 2021, 6:57:03

Originally posted by g0nz0:
Would sanctions be applied if:

I know the players are being lazy. They're all low defense, it's so fluffing boring. Look how fat they are. I'm going to build a war country. Lots of jets and spies. Okay, let's make a list. Start the ops. I knew it. Lazy fluffs. I do some quick calcs, guesstimate. I think 10 hits each will leave me enough to wall and get some cash ready. ReadysetGOOOOoooo!! >:))
I take 20,000 or so acres. Pancake 6-7 countries. I'll grab every 4 hours. I will do this until someone kills me.

Sanctions would be applied if a pattern of behavior like the above appeared. If you are taking actions that you know will get your country killed that aren't in response to a legitimate ingame issue then you're behaving in an unsportsmanlike manner.

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Dec 18th 2021, 7:00:12

Originally posted by g0nz0:
I watch the news feeds. Grabs galore. Bots deep in the red. Hits slowing down. I'm thinking it's time. Build my base quickly. Won't need much offense, they're beached whales. I select my targets. Start ops. Check resources and calcs. What's my land goal? Let's say 20,000 acres.
ReadysetG00Oooo!! (_/*\_)
Cool. Got it. That was so efficient and cost effective. Let's get some defense and win this fluffing game!!
Am I in trouble?

Landgrabbing other players is not against the rules and is an important part of the game. With that said, your strategy is unlikely to work. Turns are awarded at a fast rate in Express and countries can save up to 360 (360) turns. That makes it difficult to "get away" with farming another country. If you attempted your described strategy five sets in a row and got killed every single time, then it is hard to believe that a sixth attempt is a good faith attempt at gaining NW.

Edited By: Slagpit on Dec 18th 2021, 7:07:46

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Dec 18th 2021, 16:43:49

Should the first offense sanctions be for some time to allow the player to reflect on their actions and get one chance to redeem themselves?

Like SF, for example, put him on sanctions for a while (his first offense) then let him off. I would suggest the first probationary period be 2 to 4 weeks. A 2nd offense is permanent.

Gerdler Game profile

Forum Moderator

Dec 18th 2021, 18:00:07

Originally posted by Requiem:
Should the first offense sanctions be for some time to allow the player to reflect on their actions and get one chance to redeem themselves?

Like SF, for example, put him on sanctions for a while (his first offense) then let him off. I would suggest the first probationary period be 2 to 4 weeks. A 2nd offense is permanent.

This is partly what I posted in the other thread. Since sanctions is such an extreme punishment, in order not to have to be shy with using it there should be a routine that makes sanctions effective in preventing negative behavior from unpunished people and not just from the sanctioned players:

"Identify the 1-4 worst repeat offenders.

1. Sanction them for 1 month each, write it publicly which ones are being sanctioned.
2. If any of them give any kind of lip, show disagreement or any kind of anger, infact anything but remorse and regret over their flawed decisions, the sanctions then become permanent. Silence in the matter will be interpreted as asking for forgiveness and promising never to do it again.
3. If your sanctions are removed and you do it again, ofc permanent sanctions are introduced as you have shown your true colors."

My take is that if the punishment is too extreme, staff will be too shy to use it. And I also believe that the largest effect sanctions can have is if they serve as deterrent to players who are not sanctioned who for instance had a bad set or know they are not going to be available to jump later, so instead of using their friday/saturday to wreck a bunch of people because they have nothing else to do they instead chill and realize their next set will be in the balance if they do.
That is why I believe transparency is key, so people can see that people get sanctioned and why. Transparency also removes the ability to lie about getting sanctioned for dramatic purposes.

Edited By: Gerdler on Dec 18th 2021, 18:25:34

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Dec 18th 2021, 19:36:56

Oh cool – I wasn't trying to steal your thunder; I just didn't see that post :D
I would like to add a +1 for it.

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Dec 18th 2021, 20:51:47

Originally posted by Requiem:

Part of the sanctions application process is deleting all active countries on non-clan servers so it doesn't work well as a short term punishment.

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Dec 18th 2021, 21:50:24

Did you read all the other points brought up?

cordycsw Game profile

Dec 22nd 2021, 3:21:58

was the player hungry sanctioned last reset?

how long will his sanction last till?

SuperFly Game profile

Dec 22nd 2021, 3:33:02

Hungry still smashing everything in his path lol

galleri Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express, Tourney, & FFA

Dec 22nd 2021, 3:53:47

Hungry still smashing everything in his path lol

On solo servers?
I don't see it on solo servers. I just looked in the news.

Edited By: galleri on Dec 22nd 2021, 4:04:38
See Original Post

https://gyazo.com/...b3bb28dddf908cdbcfd162513

Kahuna: Ya you just wrote the fkn equation, not helping me at all. Lol n I hated algebra.

SuperFly Game profile

Dec 22nd 2021, 7:06:05

just in alliance and Team. He has yet to play any turns as #92 in express so give it another day before he starts up again

galleri Game profile

Game Moderator

Dec 22nd 2021, 14:48:41

just in alliance and Team. He has yet to play any turns as #92 in express so give it another day before he starts up again

Correct. Wondering why you mentioned it here that he was smashing things in alliance and team?

Kahuna: Ya you just wrote the fkn equation, not helping me at all. Lol n I hated algebra.

Prime

Dec 22nd 2021, 16:48:48

Originally posted by galleri:

Correct. Wondering why you mentioned it here that he was smashing things in alliance and team?

But did he get their expressed written permission to enter their ingame safe-space?

galleri Game profile

Game Moderator

Dec 22nd 2021, 18:02:36

Originally posted by Prime:
Originally posted by galleri:

But did he get their expressed written permission to enter their ingame safe-space?

Really Primeval? Really?

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Dec 22nd 2021, 19:05:10

A list of sanctioned players would be good so you can see examples.

Edited By: Requiem on Dec 22nd 2021, 20:20:20

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Dec 22nd 2021, 19:19:48

No questions from me, thanks.
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6VRMGTwU4I
-=TSO~DKnights~ICD~XI~LaF=-

S.F. Giants 2010, 2012, 2014 World Series Champions, fluff YEAH!

BaDonkaDonks Game profile

Dec 23rd 2021, 9:58:22

you talking about russia and ukraine?

Getafix Game profile

EE Patron

Dec 23rd 2021, 21:25:25

I was glad that Superfly didn't actually get sanctioned, even though he deserved it. He put up a spirited defense and kept a sense of humor even when vegetables were thrown at him , and he thought he was sanctioned, lol.

Kahuna Game profile

Dec 25th 2021, 0:36:59

Originally posted by BaDonkaDonks:
you talking about russia and ukraine?

Russia and China shall not be sanctioned. Bring China and Russia to conquer the United States and nato.

cordycsw Game profile

Dec 25th 2021, 2:48:28

lets go!!!

cordycsw Game profile

Dec 25th 2021, 2:48:28

lets go!!!

Rocky79 Game profile

Jan 1st 2022, 17:17:44

I'm fairly new here but I was an Earth 2025 player for a long time and I have read through these forums and I have a couple questions about these sanctions

When I go to the main page of the Earth Empires website, the description of the game is as follows:

Earth Empires is a free browser based strategy game where you take control of your nation's military and economy. Command your country's military to attack and defend against your enemies. Execute attack strategies to relieve opponents of their resources and land. Strategically invest in technology to outpace the economies of other countries. Ally with your friends or make new friendships by joining a clan. Conduct military operations, govern your country and build your empire.

So the question is, are you going to change this page and change the description of what this game is about? Maybe add something in about players only being allowed to hit the robot countries or players not being allowed to attack the good players who run low on defenses?

Thanks

Edited By: Rocky79 on Jan 1st 2022, 17:27:18

TwoPodRay Game profile

Jan 1st 2022, 18:09:51

Originally posted by Rocky79:
I'm fairly new here but I was an Earth 2025 player for a long time and I have read through these forums and I have a couple questions about these sanctions

When I go to the main page of the Earth Empires website, the description of the game is as follows:

Earth Empires is a free browser based strategy game where you take control of your nation's military and economy. Command your country's military to attack and defend against your enemies. Execute attack strategies to relieve opponents of their resources and land. Strategically invest in technology to outpace the economies of other countries. Ally with your friends or make new friendships by joining a clan. Conduct military operations, govern your country and build your empire.

So the question is, are you going to change this page and change the description of what this game is about? Maybe add something in about players only being allowed to hit the robot countries or players not being allowed to attack the good players who run low on defenses?

Thanks

Those are not the situations that warranted discussion of sanctions. We aren’t talking about players who are legitimately playing the game, attacking other players, and trying to win, we are talking about players who are intentionally griefing and suiciding other players without any attempt of finishing. They’re only there for the set to ruin as many other player’s sets as possible until their country is killed. Then they restart, and do it again.

g0nz0 Game profile

Jan 1st 2022, 19:03:55

He's trolling you man. At this point the "haha, you Netters are jes mad haha!! Carry D yo!! Dem bots be makin y'all lazy af!" It's either beyond their grasp or purposeful. Ignore and move on. Do not feed the animals.

galleri Game profile

Game Moderator

Jan 1st 2022, 23:54:39

I don't think he is trolling. I am going to try to add and be helpful to what TwoPodRay said.

Please don't take my statement as a "this is what galleri a mod said".

Sanctions were recently introduced. It evolved after some players came along and over and over ruined things for other players. In no way is it frowned upon to hit another player, but the intentions of coming in to run off a good player is different. Sanctions are only in place on solo servers, so Express, Tourney, and Primary.

I think the best way to finish off what I want you to understand is just quote Slagpit from his post on Announcements: (it makes more sense than I can describe).

"I understand that there may be some questions about what we consider to be acceptable behavior, especially in a game where players can benefit from taking resources from other players. Conflict is a welcome and necessary part of the game, but there's a clear difference in my mind between acceptable and unacceptable forms of conflict. Examples of acceptable behaviors on solo servers:

* Warring over an ingame issue that occurred this round or the last round.
* Landgrabbing other players in an attempt to improve your own networth.
* Running an offensively-oriented country and harshly responding to any country that attacks you.

Examples of not acceptable behaviors on solo servers:

* Starting the round with the intent to aggressively ruin the playing experience of other players. For example, landgrabbing a country in GDI over and over in an attempt to force it to give up its GDI protection so special attacks can be launched against it.
* Teaming up with other players outside of the ingame alliances framework.
* Repeated targeting of players due to issues that occurred on other servers."
https://www.earthempires.com/...trative-tool-49995#974310

Celphi Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 2nd 2022, 2:55:47

Before I hit that atk button i want a disclaimer of all these rules with a checkbox.

Mainly so that when they change on some hidden thread I'll know about it.
Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 2nd 2022, 3:02:01

Better call Saul :P
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)

Celphi Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 2nd 2022, 3:15:28

:D

galleri Game profile

Game Moderator

Jan 2nd 2022, 3:39:16

Originally posted by KoHeartsGPA:
Better call Saul :P

Just because you shot Jesse James, doesn't make you Jesse James.

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 2nd 2022, 3:49:20

Jesse who?
(•_•)

allbymyself87 Game profile

Jan 2nd 2022, 3:52:24

Originally posted by Celphi:
Before I hit that atk button i want a disclaimer of all these rules with a checkbox.

Mainly so that when they change on some hidden thread I'll know about it.

Agree.
Not all players check on every post or every thread in the forum.
Some don't even check on the forum at all.

Some old earth players might just return to have some fun and not expecting will get punished suddenly for attacking other human players.
And of course, no old players expect to have to read through all the posts/threads in the forum about game rules before making any attacks.
The only rules I can remember for earth game is just as simple as no multies allowed and can't play from same IP. That's all.

SuperFly Game profile

Jan 2nd 2022, 7:46:05

I tried hitting bots tonight. It was absolute garbage. So I made 3 PS on 3 different players. Got my 30k land goal and cashed out.. could have made a 4th PS but the extra land was not necessary.

Hopefully no one is upset about that as I am at $20m NW Which is usually around the top 10 cut off so with 16.5 hrs to go I am basically guaranteed a top 10 spot…

Edited By: SuperFly on Jan 2nd 2022, 7:48:15

Celphi Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 2nd 2022, 16:31:55

BOTS: (country name) (dr)
"Gorilla Stony": "16",
"Narisa Gundir": "14",
"Digger Brutus Davis": "14",
"Syr": "13",
"Nalfars Light": "12",
"Xenils Lords": "12",
"Princess Lana Darkmoon": "12",
"Lady Crypt Idona": "11",
"Frida Padan Eloon": "11",
"Merklin Devils": "10",
"Teslanar": "10",
"Aidan": "10",
"Wanerazerin": "10",
"Gravy Lone": "10",
"Walker Redblade": "10",
"Warriors of Ihaspusi": "9",
"Cybelia Mordant": "9",
"Comtesse Gruesome Veronika": "9",
"Klek Peter Moonship": "9",
"Outstanding Brave Ostrich": "9",
"Yes": "7",
"Falcords Spirits": "7",
"Boar Crunchy": "7",
"Hawkins Thomas Darkmoon": "6",
"Onathe Aldan": "6",
"Nymia": "6",
"Aldans Eagles": "6",
"William Blackstroker": "5",
"Onathe Ludok Gauthus": "5",
"Lana Purple": "5",
"Joe Gully Grimbeard": "4",

PLAYERS (country name) (dr)
"I R WoG SuperFly": "3",
"Eye Of The Tiger": "2",
"Hades": "1",
"TheyTookOurJerbs": "1",
"Galleri gone Week 2": "1",
"Un limit labs": "0",
"I Would Walk 500 Miles": "0",
"ask and you shall receive": "0",
"DookieShoes": "0",
"Tanjun": "0",
"Midian": "0",
"Lighthouse of Alexandria": "0",
"max": "0",
"Ghetto Defendant": "0",
"Hungry": "0",
"Neraka": "0",
"n o e f f o r t p l a y": "0",
"bammmmmmmm": "0",
"redball express": "0",
"Rock Lobster": "0",
"Slice of Life": "0",
"billyray shoopy": "0",
"06L121111M": "0"

Hmm who am I going to LG? Oh right! The one with 7 DR looks nice.

Celphi Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 2nd 2022, 16:39:03

We should have an explore button that explores 1k per explore and just remove the bots all together. These aren't even bots. Not worthy to be named a bot..

SuperFly Game profile

Jan 2nd 2022, 16:51:04

Oh look I tried to play nice and make 1 PS on players and here is their response…

3.8 hours ago
Eye Of The Tiger (#11) attempted to bomb your banks! You killed 9901 enemy spies.

3.8 hours ago
Enemy operatives stole $1,430,725 and destroyed $0 worth of cash!

A total of 15 bomb banks ops.

2022-01-02 15:36:28 PS Yodal33t (#26) I R WoG SuperFly (#7) 1934A (2757A)
2022-01-02 13:50:55 PS bammmmmmmm (#79) I R WoG SuperFly (#7) DH
2022-01-02 08:16:50 PS Yodal33t (#26) I R WoG SuperFly (#7) DH

In theory my calculated risk to make those 3 LGs paid off as I held defense twice and the other guy onyk spy op me.

Alas #26 decided to be a fluff and voided GDI by taking a 2nd hit on me. Which resulted in me farming his all jetter noob country.

Rocky79 Game profile

Jan 2nd 2022, 17:20:29

Okay,

So maybe change it from:

To something like this:
Earth Empires is a free browser based strategy game where you take control of your nation's military and economy. Command your country's military to attack and defend against your enemies, provided that it will help your country in the final rankings (as determined by third party game police). Execute attack strategies to relieve opponents of their resources and land, again provided it will benefit your country in the final rankings (as determined by third party game police). Strategically invest in technology to outpace the economies of other countries. Ally with your friends or make new friendships by joining a clan. Conduct military operations (that are seen as beneficial to your country in the final rankings by third party game police), govern your country and build your empire.

g0nz0 Game profile

Jan 2nd 2022, 17:33:37

Instead of : Wordswordswords land grab to increase your capacity and production wordswordswords

Maybe try: Wordswordswords build a country to teach low D n00bs a lesson wordswordswords

Or even: Wordswordswords I'm bored, think I'll spoil some sets wordswordswords

But don't fall for: Wordswordswords I only do it when I start late and the bots have DR wordswordswords

Remember to farm responsibly and 1 retal is not a declaration of war. RoR and you're a parking lot.

SuperFly Game profile

Jan 2nd 2022, 17:35:52

Ohhh this guy just failed 11 ops on me. I think he wants to LG a player cuz the bots are in too much DR.

32.9 mins ago
Zero Micron (#97) attempted to spy on your country! You killed 2804 enemy spies.

g0nz0 Game profile

Jan 2nd 2022, 17:43:40

Ohhh this guy just failed 11 ops on me. I think he wants to LG a player cuz the bots are in too much DR.

32.9 mins ago
Zero Micron (#97) attempted to spy on your country! You killed 2804 enemy spies.

Remember the warning I gave about how griefing and razing countries there is a bad side effect of creating more griefers? If I couldn't finish my sets why should you get to? I don't care how my set ends, the satisfaction for me is flushing your finish down the bowl.