Verified:

braden Game profile

Dec 3rd 2010, 0:26:31

i am drinking a nice wolfblass eaglehawk merlot from 2009

does anybody have any other suggestions for australian wines? perhaps even new zealand? i had a wine from there (got smashed) and forget entirely what it was, but i remember it being wonderful

Dragonlance Game profile

Dec 3rd 2010, 0:47:17

where to start.

There are like hundreds of great aussie vineyards.

Nz whites are pretty good, red average.

braden Game profile

Dec 3rd 2010, 0:53:04

really, thats too bad, i strongly prefer reds.

have you ever heard of wolf blass? i enjoy it, is it the swill you export to uninformed foreigners? :P

this is only what i find at my local lcbo (liquor control board of ontario) so the variety isn't like walking through the australian country side picking and choosing ;)

Dragonlance Game profile

Dec 3rd 2010, 1:56:38

actually Nz might have some decent reds... i tend not drink NZ wine since it's cheaper to buy aussie wine of the same quality:p

Though i'm not exactly an expert!

wolf blass is pretty good. It is however owned by Foster's group, hence why so much is exported..... lolol

if you see a different aussie wine in your local bottleshop, i suggest trying a bottle, especially if it's from a winery in the barossa valley, hunter valley or margaret river region, though these are by no means the only wine production areas of australia!

If you like wolf blass, maybe try something from penfolds, i think they do alot of export, also owned by fosters.

braden Game profile

Dec 3rd 2010, 2:14:45

this is what i am looking for, thank you!
fosters beer is gross, this is weird i would enjoy their wine so much lol
i have had a few other australian wines, though i am fairly new to this, and don't know too much about it. most of the wines i have enjoyed i have no idea the name of :P

Dragonlance Game profile

Dec 3rd 2010, 2:25:04

they OWN the winery's, they don't actually run them, they were both previously family owned.

Aussie wine is generally better than aussie beer found overseas anyway!

braden Game profile

Dec 3rd 2010, 2:43:14

ah, i see, fluffing conglomerations.

but at least they know to purchase quality. just finished the bottle, will have to get another one for tomorrow night. i'll check their selection, find one i might like, and try to remember the other names so you can tell me if theyre a joke or not ;)

nz tips would be great though, i recall just loving the wine i had from there. no scode? :(

Herr_England Game profile

Dec 3rd 2010, 13:17:31

If you really want to find out about wines of the world, I fully recommend purchasing the The Sotheby's Wine Encyclopedia 2007 edition. You'll love it and it has in depth wines, charts, of every wine producing nation broken down by region and grower.

Edited By: Herr_England on Dec 3rd 2010, 13:30:09
See Original Post
Herr England
BSS Minister of Agriculture
AIM:Herr England

~ Blood Soaked Skulls ~

Fooglmog Game profile

Dec 3rd 2010, 13:26:59

"Cat's Pee on a Gooseberry Bush" is the definitive New Zealand Sauvignon blanc through most of the world for the last few years. It doesn't surprise in any way, but it's exactly what a Sauvignon blanc should be.

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

Dec 3rd 2010, 13:27:36

If you really want to find out about wines of the world, I fully recommend purchasing the The Sotheby's Wine Encyclopedia 2007 edition. You'll love it and it has in depth wines, charts, of every wine producing nation broken down by region and grower.
Herr England

~ Blood Soaked Skulls ~

Dec 3rd 2010, 13:28:01

And Fosters is terrible.
Herr England

~ Blood Soaked Skulls ~

Dragonlance Game profile

Dec 7th 2010, 6:36:52

Fosters... the 2nd worst thing to come out of Australia..

Close behind Our current Bowling lineup in the test team:/

braden Game profile

Dec 7th 2010, 14:29:53

thought i'd try some jacobs creek, south eastern australia i think they said (does it matter?), a nice shiraz cabernet. i look forward to trying it.

Next time I'm at the Sotheby's auction house i'll drop a wager on this wine encyclopedia you speak of :P
(i know, my jokes are terrible, just ignore them)

Dec 7th 2010, 15:27:50

Don't worry, I will.
Herr England

~ Blood Soaked Skulls ~

braden Game profile

Dec 7th 2010, 16:04:39

and yet you don't

amazing

Wronghouse Game profile

Jan 7th 2011, 7:47:29

NZ is much better at White than red. Sav Blanc etc.

See if you can find any Alkoomi red. http://www.alkoomiwines.com.au/

fluffing fantastic.

Agreed though that anything from the Barossa or Margaret River is usually pretty damn good.

Aussies FTW.

SaRaveok Game profile

Jan 7th 2011, 9:06:50

Wyndham Estate Bin 444 Cabernet Sauvignon
Jacob's Creek Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon

Wyndham Estate Bin 555 Shiraz
Jacob's Creek Reserve Shiraz

Penfolds Rawson's Retreat Cabernet Sauvignon

Those are the ones that i have drunk, and i enjoyed them...
Penfolds, Not so much... but after a bottle of one of the others, its not that bad :P

But, to each their own
General of The Fallen
---------------------------
MSN:
IRC: #thefallen on Gamesurge

Application For The Fallen: http://www.boxcarhosting.com/...pplication.php?appID=1142

Dragonlance Game profile

Jan 18th 2011, 3:09:50

this thread is famous

DruggieSmurf Game profile

Jan 18th 2011, 7:28:44

Yes I like South Eastern Aussie white wines personally. Never mess with anything red from there. If you want a good Red get one from Chille. Ive been on a Shiraz kick lately.
We're paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded.- Winters (Band of Brothers)

braden Game profile

Jan 18th 2011, 17:03:44

i had a jacobs creek reserved shiraz (i'm not so sure what that means) and it was a little weird, actually. the after taste was, i can't explain it, but off based off the previous jacobs creek i had (a red from south australia, not sure if you know it)

how do you mean, dragonlance?

Dragonlance Game profile

Jan 20th 2011, 4:38:52

i saw it mentioned on a tucson shooting related media article about the shooters online life. How the earth empires boards had threads about all things from game talk to australian wine.

braden Game profile

Jan 20th 2011, 15:04:06

oh, i see, dl. i didn't understand what you meant, if you meant it as like slang or whatever for hilarious, a joke :P

although the person who did write the article could've given me their opinion on said wines. i mean, that just would have been polite.