Verified:

Klown Game profile

Jan 13th 2011, 5:25:18

Originally posted by Detmer:
Originally posted by trumper:
The complaints about the "violent words" is patently ridiculous. What do we call the process by which candidates work to win an election? We can't call it a campaign since that comes from military terminology. What do we call Florida, Ohio, and Pennsylvania: close states? We can't call them battleground states anymore. Do we censure President Obama for saying don't bring a knife to a gun fight? Senator Manchin for shooting the cap and trade bill? Sarah Palin for her map of 'targeted seats'? Senator Schumer for talking about the "tortured path?" We probably shouldn't use the word "cut," only reduction. Definitely shouldn't refer to the "budget ax." And oh my, imagine if we said 'draconian' and 'cuts' together!

Some of the things Obama has said aren't really necessary... obviously some of things you posted make no sense... or do you think that is logical reasoning? Maybe the problem is that so many people are incapable of drawing logical distinctions in what is provocative and what is colloquial speech and it is all just viewed as one big slippery slope?

I think what happened was a tragedy, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the so-called violent political rhetoric. If Kim Jung Il uses a nuke against us, would we say it's because the politicians discussed the 'nuclear option' 6 years ago when it came to judicial nominees? Of course not. We would say it's because Kim Jung Il's crazy. Same situation here. Jared Laughner didn't shoot up the event because Palin targeted political seats to capture or because Obama said don't bring a knife to a gun fight, he did it because he's delusional.

Ok, that is nice, but my point is that this highlights the low level of political discourse which needs to be altered. I am not attempting to prove causation between his actions and the political rhetoric.

This is a false statement. You created a thread claiming Sarah Palin has blood on her hands.

trumper Game profile

Jan 13th 2011, 14:44:49

I work in the political arena and so I've been to more rallies than I care to remember. I have never once heard someone say to kill the opponent. The closest I've ever heard was someone say they wished a member of the opposition passed away to which they were sternly rebuked by those present and that's not even the same as saying kill them. I don't want to call you a liar, but I suspect you're exaggerating here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw3o3y77MaA

Two points:

1) The media has a keen ability to find the exception and turn it into the rule.
2) Political parties have been known to send in folks to the opposition camp to say outrageous thigs for the purposes of making their opponents look foolish (also known as paradigm shifting).

I went to probably a half dozen McCain rallies and never heard anything similar. Like I said I've rarely heard anything even remotely similar despite having campaigned in Lousiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, New Jersey and in the Carolinas.

Detmer Game profile

Jan 13th 2011, 15:30:18

I work in the political arena and so I've been to more rallies than I care to remember. I have never once heard someone say to kill the opponent. The closest I've ever heard was someone say they wished a member of the opposition passed away to which they were sternly rebuked by those present and that's not even the same as saying kill them. I don't want to call you a liar, but I suspect you're exaggerating here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw3o3y77MaA

Two points:

1) The media has a keen ability to find the exception and turn it into the rule.
2) Political parties have been known to send in folks to the opposition camp to say outrageous thigs for the purposes of making their opponents look foolish (also known as paradigm shifting).

I went to probably a half dozen McCain rallies and never heard anything similar. Like I said I've rarely heard anything even remotely similar despite having campaigned in Lousiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, New Jersey and in the Carolinas.

I don't doubt either of those points.

Eric171 Game profile

Jan 15th 2011, 4:39:14

Originally posted by mrford:
Actually, it's exactly the same, if not more valid.

You are interperting a photo of political targets to be a death list. A pretty harsh and large leap in logic.

"my congress woman is dead to me" is a much harsher action IMO and has very little room for interpertation.

If you can interpert a simple political tool as a death list, then by that logic you can absoluetly not ignore the "she is dead to me" statment.

I'm sure even you can follow that line of logic.

Actually, I am pretty sure most actually can`t follow that sort of twisted moral equivalence line of reasoning.