Verified:

Dibs Ludicrous Game profile

Jan 14th 2011, 11:09:07

http://tinyurl.com/4trbc94

am i going to have to buy new copies of the books and burn my old ones, or will there be some kind of trade-in/upgrade dealy-bob? well, think i might have a loose floor board that i can hide them under.
There are no messages in your Inbox.
Elvis has left the building.

NOW3P Game profile

Jan 14th 2011, 18:18:56

The liberals will be issuing you new copies and a fresh batch of kool-aid as soon as they get done with their drum circle.

Klown Game profile

Jan 14th 2011, 23:45:24

I've heard people complaining about this a lot. I don't get it. If you want to read the original, buy it. If you feel uncomfortable with the language and don't want to read it the way Twain intended it, buy this version. I would only ever read a novel the way the author wrote it, but if there's a market for this then what's the problem?

Jan 15th 2011, 0:40:45

why bother reading it all, if you're not willing to attempt to understand what the author is writing about?

ever think that maybe he was trying to get the reader offended by the use of those words to demonstrate a point? if the reader doesn't get offended during those sections of the text where they were used, will they be able to understand other portions of the text where he didn't use them?

Edited By: Dibs Ludicrous on Jan 15th 2011, 0:52:40
See Original Post

Klown Game profile

Jan 15th 2011, 4:38:35

Preaching to the choir. I wouldn't buy this crap. Just saying, if somebody wants it edited, maybe for a kid who doesn't understand the historical context of the word, what's wrong with providing it?

Fooglmog Game profile

Jan 15th 2011, 5:05:37

I don't actually see what makes you think that the publisher is a liberal Dibs. To me it seems like, because you're a conservative and happen to disagree with him -- you've made the assumption that he must be a liberal.

That's stupid... but I can't see any other reason why you'd be blaming liberals for this.

Not everything in the world is a right-left issue... I think that this is one of those cases.

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

NOW3P Game profile

Jan 15th 2011, 7:07:58

This is more an issue of stupid/afraid than right/left.

US Department of Education - Dumbing down our children by the day.

iNouda Game profile

Jan 15th 2011, 8:22:46

Personally this is fluffing pathetic. Kids can read whatever they want and they're already exposed to all the "ills" on the internet regardless of whether their parents want to censor that or not. And now those book-nazis want to censor the content of what we read too?

fluff them.

I'd rather read the original version than some fluffed up dumb-downed version.

NOW3P Game profile

Jan 15th 2011, 8:45:48

I agree - we'll let them watch endless cartoon and video game violence that plays out just about every negative stereotype out there, but won't let them see the word fluff in a classic work of literature that is very clearly dated and of a different era because it might warp their fragile little minds...

Some people REALLY need to find a hobby, and gtfo of other people's business.

Jan 15th 2011, 10:42:35

Originally posted by Fooglmog:
I don't actually see what makes you think that the publisher is a liberal Dibs. To me it seems like, because you're a conservative and happen to disagree with him -- you've made the assumption that he must be a liberal.

That's stupid... but I can't see any other reason why you'd be blaming liberals for this.

Not everything in the world is a right-left issue... I think that this is one of those cases.

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

you feel that i shouldn't place blame on liberals for trying to change something that doesn't really need to be changed? i might be wrong, but to me, the basic act of changing those words is a sign that it's being done by a liberal. essentially, the problem is that there are people who feel that they aren't allowed to be offended by other people. they sometimes even feel that they are permitted to do anything to keep other people from offending them.

i think, that what is being done by changing the words to keep people from being offended, is just reinforcing their belief that they are justified in doing anything when they are offended, because it's not their fault that were offended to begin with.

agentxyz Game profile

Jan 15th 2011, 13:11:12

You should start a thread: Conservatives responsible for butchering science textbooks.

Jan 15th 2011, 13:54:10

Originally posted by agentxyz:
You should start a thread: Conservatives responsible for butchering science textbooks.

i'll think about putting it on my list of things to do.

Thank you for taking the time in an attempt to manipulate my actions. It was so kind and thoughtful of you.

Fooglmog Game profile

Jan 15th 2011, 19:40:30

Originally posted by Dibs Ludicrous:
i might be wrong, but to me, the basic act of changing those words is a sign that it's being done by a liberal.

Why? Political correctness isn't something that belongs to any specific political affiliation. There is literally nothing in that article which indicates where the guy sits politically.

As odd as it seems, it looks to me like you're giving into the stereotype that all conservatives are racists... therefore anyone who takes a stand against what they view as racism must be the opposite of a conservative... a liberal.

That's bullfluff, though. And until you can explain to me how and why thinking of the word "fluff" as objectionable is a liberal trait, I'm going to keep calling bullfluff on the connection you've tried to draw between liberals in general and this very specific effort.

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

Jan 15th 2011, 19:51:57

Originally posted by Fooglmog:
Originally posted by Dibs Ludicrous:
i might be wrong, but to me, the basic act of changing those words is a sign that it's being done by a liberal.

Why? Political correctness isn't something that belongs to any specific political affiliation. There is literally nothing in that article which indicates where the guy sits politically.

As odd as it seems, it looks to me like you're giving into the stereotype that all conservatives are racists... therefore anyone who takes a stand against what they view as racism must be the opposite of a conservative... a liberal.

That's bullfluff, though. And until you can explain to me how and why thinking of the word "fluff" as objectionable is a liberal trait, I'm going to keep calling bullfluff on the connection you've tried to draw between liberals in general and this very specific effort.

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

are you attempting to confound me with bullfluff? and are you stating that "change" is not a liberal trait?

Fooglmog Game profile

Jan 15th 2011, 20:02:48

Dibs, I go to great effort not to "confound" people. On the contrary, I am careful to be extremely precise in what I say so that the point I am making is clear.

I am stating that "change" is not exclusively a liberal trait. In modern American society, you cannot assume that an idea comes from a liberal simply because it advocates "change" of one sort or another. That is certainly true when it comes to efforts to subvert racist sentiment. Those tend to find support across the political spectrum.

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

Jan 15th 2011, 20:12:16

http://quotations.about.com/...nquotes/a/twainracist.htm

is that an accurate description of Mark Twain's views on racism?
did his literary works promote or work against racism?

Fooglmog Game profile

Jan 15th 2011, 20:31:42

Those are moot points.

Whether or not Alan Gribben is correct in his view of Twain is of no relevance to the matter of whether his motivations are "liberal".

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

Jan 15th 2011, 21:15:02

http://www.aum.edu/profile_ektid4800.aspx

Ah-ha! Office 336 Liberal Arts.

Fooglmog Game profile

Jan 15th 2011, 22:14:52

*Rolls eyes*

-Fooglmog