Verified:

Crippler ICD Game profile

Jan 17th 2011, 4:15:57

So I own an old person boat er car, a 99 chevy lumina, the headlights have always been fairly dim, infact the parking lights are just as bright as the headlights, lol

my question is, how does one go about replacing it with those super bright headlights that are on the newer cars?
Crippler
FoCuS
<--MSN
CripplerTD

[14:26] <enshula> i cant believe im going to say this
[14:26] <enshula> crippler is giving us correct netting advice

Fooglmog Game profile

Jan 17th 2011, 5:22:50

If it's just the bulbs (and not some electrical problem), you just replace the bulbs like you do when they burn out at home.

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

Jan 17th 2011, 6:35:11

so even though it's a older car, the newer bulbs will work? any specific kind that is recommended?
Crippler
FoCuS
<--MSN
CripplerTD

NOW3P Game profile

Jan 17th 2011, 8:11:22

Few things...

- Try replacing the bulbs first. This is a cheap problem fix, and usually if you put some ultra whites in it'll take care of it. I like Sylvania bulbs, but they're all pretty much the same.

- Check the lenses. On a 12 yr old car, odds are pretty good your lens covers on your lights are pretty grimy. They sell cleaning kits at just about every auto parts store.

- If that doesn't work, replace your fuse for your headlights. Sometimes if they're old they aren't as efficient anymore.

- If all else fails, start checking wiring to make sure it's not frayed, loose, etc.

Dibs Ludicrous Game profile

Jan 17th 2011, 8:13:32

talk to the person at the auto parts store. might even be a book there that states which bulbs are acceptable to use in your car.
There are no messages in your Inbox.
Elvis has left the building.

DruggieSmurf Game profile

Jan 17th 2011, 8:43:37

Yes that is a silly question.. U might need to turn them on at night.. Hope that helps!
We're paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded.- Winters (Band of Brothers)

GearHead Game profile

Jan 17th 2011, 9:14:02

When replacing a headlight bulb try to remember not to make the "brilliant" mistake of touching the actual bulb of the new one, the oil from your finger will fry it out real quick and you will be back replacing it again.

dantzig Game profile

Jan 17th 2011, 21:21:56

NOW3P makes some great suggestions. Halogen bulbs get dimmer over time and just replacing them can make a huge difference. The "lenses" or the exterior plastic of the headlight housing might also be quite oxidized and can be refinished to allow more light to shine through.

Whatever you do, please do not go out and buy an aftermarket HID kit. Your headlight housings are not intended for HIDs and you'll end up blinding every other driver on the roads and you could even damage your car.
FoG

Jan 17th 2011, 21:43:13

i looked at the lenses at a couple of supply sites, and they appeared to be made of glass. but couldn't find anything to qualify the composition.

didn't know that halogen bulbs got dimmer. what kinda rate are we talking about? how often do they have to be replaced if they don't burn out?

NOW3P Game profile

Jan 18th 2011, 7:20:04

It's very slow - takes years for the burn down to be noticeable. It's basically a matter of the filament slowly burning away...it's also why bulbs burn out; that filament finally burns so thin it breaks.

DruggieSmurf Game profile

Jan 18th 2011, 7:25:14

Also dont forget to check your halogen fluid levels. If those are low it will seem dim too. Just ask them to top it off when they change your oil at like a Jiffy lube. The guy there will be happy to help you out. They SHOULD top off all of your fluids but for some reason you have to ask for the Halogen fluid top off. Most of the time its no extra charge!
We're paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded.- Winters (Band of Brothers)

NOW3P Game profile

Jan 18th 2011, 7:29:54

Make sure you have winter air in your tires too. It's completely unrelated, but very important. :-P

trumper Game profile

Jan 18th 2011, 17:14:34

I drilled a small hole in the bottom of my one headlamp because the condensation kept getting inside it causing the light to be less effective. It helped out a lot. Halogens work great, but they're so annoying when they're in your rear view mirror.

Before you do the install, make sure you have the tools. I went to change my girlfriend's front headlight a few months ago and was surprised at just how complicated it was to get to it. If I had known that going into it I would've had the right tools on hand (and yah its my fault for not looking) or been lazy and let the shop do it.

Helmet Game profile

Jan 18th 2011, 20:53:10

drugs

Edited By: Helmet on Jan 18th 2011, 21:01:07
See Original Post

Helmet Game profile

Jan 18th 2011, 20:59:57

double post

Helmet Game profile

Jan 18th 2011, 21:00:22

[quote poster=Helmet; 6726; 114278][quote poster=Helmet; 6726; 114274]
Originally posted by Crippler ICD:
So I own an old person boat er car, a 99 chevy lumina, the headlights have always been fairly dim, infact the parking lights are just as bright as the headlights, lol

my question is, how does one go about replacing it with those super bright headlights that are on the newer cars?

There are a few reasons car lights go dim. One is the casing isn't air tight and you have condensation, etc. in there. Or sometimes the plastic starts to yellow and just plain sucks. Either of those problems you need a new headlight housing. You can buy one of thoses cleaning kits that was suggested earlier, but it's only a temporary fix and will worsen things in the long run.

If it's not the housing then I'd buy a new bulbs and put it in. Sylvania Xtravision are good for the money.

If that didn't work the first thing I'd check would be the ground.

If you're handy with cars (be prepared to drop your bumper, etc) and you want HID headlights then go here. http://activetuning.com/

But like I said if your housings are the problem then that needs addressed to.

It took me a good three hours to mount the ballists and wire in my HID's, but it was well worth it because my car sucked at night and we always drove my wife's accord before I made the switch.

NOW3P Game profile

Jan 19th 2011, 19:11:22

So....in other words.....a summary of all the other posts that have already been made?

Jan 19th 2011, 19:31:28

i'm going to have to go look up 100 year old cars that don't need any maintenance now. what you mean temporary fix? won't have to fix it at all if you can find a sucker to buy it.

Helmet Game profile

Jan 19th 2011, 19:48:45

Originally posted by NOW3P:
So....in other words.....a summary of all the other posts that have already been made?

I'm too lazy to look, but I highly doubt everything I posted there was already posted.

Jan 19th 2011, 19:50:11

Originally posted by Helmet:
Originally posted by NOW3P:

I'm too lazy to look, but I highly doubt everything I posted there was already posted.

plus he didn't even try to address the winter air in the tire question.

Vic Rattlehead Game profile

Jan 20th 2011, 3:02:42

fluff all that. Just buy a new one. Reach me here:

http://www.chryslerofculpeper.com/

;P
NA hFA
gchat:
yahoo chat:

available 24/7

NOW3P Game profile

Jan 20th 2011, 5:09:02

it was helmet - most of it in 1 post

Helmet Game profile

Jan 20th 2011, 11:37:10

I didn't see anyone say to check the ground or where/how to install HID's and that's just off the top of my head. :)

mrford Game profile

Jan 20th 2011, 17:56:45

good suggestions in here.

if the bulbs are dimmer than they should be while you are looking directly at them than it is either a bulb life problem or a grounding problem. pray its a bulb life problem. i wouldn't say that the casing is a problem if the actual amount of light they appear to put out is lower than normal. the lens only affects the projection of the light to the road surface, not the actual brightness of the bulb. yes cleaning the lens would make a difference, but it will not brighten the bulb itself. i guess clarifying what exactly you mean by dimmer would clear this up.

Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

Jan 25th 2011, 19:28:03

im not really sure, I just know my day time running lights are the same brightness as my normal lights
Crippler
FoCuS
<--MSN
CripplerTD

mrford Game profile

Jan 25th 2011, 22:27:14

Are they aligned properly?

You could be one of those fluffs with their lamps pointed directly up into other drivers eyes.

Are you looking at them from thefront of the car or from the drivers seat?

Headgaskets and motor swaps are more my thing though
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

MorTcuS Game profile

Jan 25th 2011, 22:51:07

dont change anything on a lumina man, change the car.
174099715 (not in use)

Steam : wargasm1

Vic Rattlehead Game profile

Jan 28th 2011, 3:11:46

What Mortcus said. Call me! ;P

Seriously, I promise to answer if I hear a call for Vic Rattlehead!
NA hFA
gchat:
yahoo chat:

available 24/7

Jan 28th 2011, 3:15:02

Originally posted by Crippler ICD:
im not really sure, I just know my day time running lights are the same brightness as my normal lights

your headlights burned out before you bought the car, and you only have day time running lights working now.

Jan 29th 2011, 18:32:03

could be, haha
Crippler
FoCuS
<--MSN
CripplerTD

ponderer Game profile

Jan 30th 2011, 0:50:52

I used to have a 1996 Oldsmobile Achiva, and the day time lights were almost as bright as the headlights (the headlights had about 20 extra feet of throw). If I recall correctly, it was very similar to the Lumina, and switching the headlights was pretty easy (about the only thing on that car that wasn't a pain in the ass). The headlights on that car sucked though - I didn't realize how much until I replaced it with an Xa and all of sudden I didn't feel like I needed the high beams on unlit highways.
m0m0rific

Pain Game profile

Jan 30th 2011, 7:31:56

its a GM, problem located.

Solution: call local junk yard or head to dealership for trade in.

Your mother is a nice woman

mrford Game profile

Jan 30th 2011, 17:41:53

GM > Ur face
Swagger of a Chupacabra

Pain Game profile

Jan 30th 2011, 21:04:09

yea right, whats GM stock worth again? still 75 cents right? :P

FORD all day baby. or honda if you feel the need for asian pride.

mrford Game profile

Jan 30th 2011, 21:18:59

I definately purchase cars based on stock!

Forget the fact that the SBC is the most widely produced and modded and whatnot V8 in recent history. Forget their recent dominance in motorsports such as the GT series of the AMLS and NASCAR. Forget the chevy volt, which is a tremendous stride in the world of Eco friendly cars. Forget their sales and quality of their flagship brands. I mean olds don't exist anymore, like Saturn and Pontiac, so I won't hold that against them (although the G series, especially the G8 based on the sigma lite/zeta platform was bringing Pontiac back)

Stock is all that matters!

Granted I own an early fourth gen camaro and 2 Nissan daily drivers. But I'm a chevy man till I die, if you dissagree you don't matter!

EDIT: Actually, now that I look into it, GMs stock is 36.50, while fords is in the 16 range

damn nub

Edited By: mrford on Jan 30th 2011, 21:36:23
See Original Post
Swagger of a Chupacabra

Pain Game profile

Jan 31st 2011, 0:20:12

god ford you take everything so serious.

that being said, i daily a GM, also own a ford. but ill still say Fords new cars are better then GM's looks and build quality wise. the volt is a great concept but its been out for what a month? wait to see how many issues it has before praising it.

mrford Game profile

Jan 31st 2011, 0:30:07

I take my Chevys extremely seriously

the camaro I have was my first car ever. I will probably have it forever. The body and frame is pretty much the only thing on it that is still stock.

GM has pit a ton of research dollars into the electric and hydrogen market along with caddy. I don't agree with this but this is where they see the future. He'll, even the new camaro was just fluff out as a nearly concept car. It's on the exact same platform as the CTS and yet is so horribly refined, nowhere close to the cts. I don't know how that fluffed that up so bad, and I'm a diehard camaro fan.

Ford has put a fluff ton of effort into the quality of their current cars. They also have a huge euro market to feed off of.

Different strats, we will see which one plays out in the future.
Swagger of a Chupacabra

ShadowBlade Game profile

Mar 17th 2011, 4:23:18

boo

Evolution Game profile

Mar 17th 2011, 9:20:39

my car is great apart from the rust, gearbox, muffler, break disks, hand break, rust.

No real problems with the headlights except when we needed a new alternator.

Not posting on AT as much because Maki/Steeps gave back some of my forums on GHQ. RIP my decade long blog, my blog even had replies from people who are no longer with us :(.

Z Game profile

Mar 17th 2011, 14:08:09

Heres one link for the super brites
http://www.tunersdepot.com/...vrolet_Lumina_HID_Kit.htm
I am sure there are many more.... prolly even at local auto parts stores too~ eNjOy~

Getafix Game profile

EE Patron

Mar 19th 2011, 1:27:50

You might need a bigger battery for the Lumina, but how bout this for an idea?

ZDH
Where I work have hundreds of 1000 watt metal halide lights if you don't know anything about a metal halide bulb they get HOT and at 1000+ watts they use a TON of electricity.

I'm tryin to find an alternative anyone know of anything? I thought maybe LED but couldn't find anyone that made them that big.