Verified:

W Game profile

Dec 30th 2010, 21:37:02

i'm going to be traveling a bit next year and it would be nice to have something to check email/fb and maybe even play a lil' EE on the road. really don't care about music and movies, just need to get on and browse the intertubes every now and again.

what's good/cheap? not worth more than $200 to me, reasonably easy to use with earth/email/fb. tiger direct has Archos 28 (tiny screen) and Velocity Micro R101 reader (bigger screen has some issues) at $99 and $119. looks like ipod touch is a little over $200 but used ones are around too.

thoughts?

[9:22pm] xHx: on a fluff ton of tech
[9:22pm] xHx was kicked from the chat room by Hellcat. (Badwords Detected!)
[9:22pm] Within[SnG]: what?? fluff this
[9:22pm] You were kicked from the chat room by Hellcat. (Badwords Detected!)

Dibs Ludicrous Game profile

Dec 30th 2010, 22:37:23

http://www.verizonwireless.com/...dband/?page=products_mifi

last i heard it was $100 for the mifi and $60 a month for 5G of data. if you're taking a laptop that can do wireless.
There are no messages in your Inbox.
Elvis has left the building.

NOW3P Game profile

Dec 31st 2010, 2:51:13

Who's your cell phone carrier? If you're w/ Verizon, AT&T, or Sprint, you can pick up a droid that can do all that for free from Best Buy right now if you're up for a contract renewal.

Otherwise, some of these new mini-tablets that are popping up seem pretty cool.

http://www.alltouchtablet.com/...n-get-for-under-200-4203/

W Game profile

Dec 31st 2010, 5:57:44

cool thanks for the link i'll look at those too. thing is i use a prepaid tracfone as i refuse to go on contract to any cell carrier. really only use cell phone to text, no internet at all. i'm just looking for a cheapish standalone device (like those on that link and the two on my original post) that can get wifi and reasonably display web pages (viewable, navigable etc) while i'm on the road.

Dibs Ludicrous Game profile

Dec 31st 2010, 17:12:55

well, i dunno, seems like restaurants and hotels/motels have free internet if you're staying there, why do you need a 3G or 4G device?
There are no messages in your Inbox.
Elvis has left the building.

W Game profile

Jan 2nd 2011, 23:17:08

don't have a laptop, doesn't have to be 3g/4g just wifi...probably just going to go with a ipod touch, used or the cheapest new one. most of the time i won't be staying at hotels..friends, camping or just in a vehicle somewhere. just want something that can find and connect on wifi so i can do email/earth without having to ask around for internet.

ponderer Game profile

Jan 3rd 2011, 2:24:11

if you're in the US, get a kindle. The internet browser on it sucks, but you don't have to pay for the service.
m0m0rific

Jeremy Game profile

Jan 3rd 2011, 16:09:28

Virgin Mobile has a pretty good android phone now, for about 200$, and you can get unlimited internet and email for 25 a month, service is pretty darn good too.

Best option IMO if you're in the US.

Medic Game profile

Jan 12th 2011, 20:39:55

The Archos 7 is top notch.... I've got it and use it more then.my notebook now
Patty loves a big dict

NOW3P Game profile

Jan 13th 2011, 6:55:03

I agree with Medic (slaps self repeatedly) - I was out looking at similar devices the other day, and that one really stood out to me.