Verified:

Evolution Game profile

Apr 15th 2011, 12:16:02

The western digital black is a very good drive. Its got a dual processor o.O. Compared to a velociRaptor drive its really good value. Its quite impressive they have lowered the response time too.

Its max read/write is 109mb whilst the intel ssd is 270/205 read write.

Though the vertex 3 ssd is more like 500mb/480mb read/write, however it will be less reliable than intel.

I was a bit disappointed that the intel SSD didn't have the sata III conection and stayed with sata II. Sata III would have boosted read performance. They focused on reliability instead;

Intel SSD 3rd gen: 0.4 failure rate per year* (sata II)
Vertex 3: failure rate ~2.2 (sata III)
WD black 1Tb: ~6% (sata III)

Though the WD black fail rate is one of the best, if not the best, for large harddrives >1TB. Some of the 3TB hard drives have a 12% failure rate per year.

The stats are from studies on the reliability, in the study Intel's ssd fail rate was 0.68%, though intel have done a lot to increase reliability with this generation. The 0.4 is intel's statistic. The MTBF for each drive is roughly the same though there are such large differences in the real world.

Edited By: Evolution on Apr 15th 2011, 12:18:02
Back To Thread
See Subsequent Edit
Not posting on AT as much because Maki/Steeps gave back some of my forums on GHQ. RIP my decade long blog, my blog even had replies from people who are no longer with us :(.