Apr 15th 2014, 16:08:45

I would like to explain that this game has 2 types of spy ops:

Harmless spy ops:
These do not actually harm your country in any manner, and include
- Normal Spy
- Military Spy
- Market Spy
- Ally Spy
They do not harm your country in any manner, you do not lose a single turn, money, unit or anything. These ops are also known as "informational ops". Using such informational spyops on countries do not break your GDI status, even if you do so multiple times on the same country.

Harmful spyops:
Pretty much every other spy op, and they steal something/destroy something from your country. Doing 2 or more harmful ops (and/or with attacks) on a country will break your protection GDI status with respect to that country. Currently, only the Steal Food and Steal Money harmful spy ops are not protected by GDI on solo servers.

Non-harmful spyops are widely considered benign in nature by most players, and most players ignore these - in fact, on clan servers, practically every clan has policies that make it such that non-harmful ops cannot result in any repercussions.

That's not to say that you can't enforce your own "4 failed ops" policy. It is just to explain the "WHY are people doing so many ops on me" thing.

Sometimes, it is to attack your Defense Ally, so they want to know your turret count, which in turn allows them to make an exact calculation of the minimum jets to send to attack your D-ally and still be successful, hence spying you, but not attacking you. Other times, people spy to look for a potential target to attack, and get scared off by what they see in the spy op, and choose not to attack (or use said information to attack right after).

To recap, being on the receiving end of 8-9 spyops is widely considered benign. Take this knowledge for what you will.

Note also that SUCCESSFUL informational (harmless) spy ops on you are not reported to you, any number of countries might have spied on you for information successfully, and you will never know about it. A country might have spied on you 8 times, and stopped trying. Or he might have spied the 9th try and was successful on that try. You won't ever know if he did the 9th op.

So to answer your question, for me (I do not speak for anyone else), any number of harmless spyops is acceptable, but 2 or more harmful spyops is not-acceptable. Repercussions for 2 or more harmful spy-ops will vary based on market, risk, war-preparedness, chance of still finishing in t5 or t10, and many other factors and can range from "nothing" to "all out war".

Edited By: Xinhuan on Apr 15th 2014, 16:24:15
Back To Thread
See Original Post
See Subsequent Edit