Verified:

DerrickICN Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 9th 2020, 5:48:40

Yeah its like.....so you're going to charge me 400k for my education and $1200 for rent, but pay me $10/hr for a job I need a degree for? Sheesh. My girlfriend is quite literally a research scientist at THE Vanderbilt university and makes 15/hr.

If you want me at 100% productivity for 40 hours a week, stop having me work 2 jobs and 70 hours to do it. Period. Almost half my working age works more than 90% of the generation behind me. Its true!!! GenX people RARELY worked a 50, and I've worked more 60s than my parents and grandparents combined. Am I tired and unproductive sometimes? fluff yes I am.

But 1) I love what I do, 2) I'm really fluffin good at it, 3) I have to clean up fluff and puke and 4) everyone in the customer service industry takes hell for a living. I HAVE MANAGED business for 40k and in 1979 that was the inflation equivalent of minimum wage. I could still barely pay for my apartment. I couldn't have worked that job if I had kids. Period. Let alone the second job I NEEDED the entire time.

The value of the dollar is trash now, yet our generation gets paid the same amount as people in 70s. "You get what you pay for" was true, is true and will continue being true. If you pay people better, you will get better workers. Been true since the beginning of time. Expecting this generation to work as hard for half as much value is silly.

Can you imagine if you were a kid trying to get your first job and they literally offer you 1 sandwich every two hours? You have to work legit two whole hours of physical labor for two slices of bread and some turkey? And a car costs about as much as you make in a year at 40 hrs if you decide not to eat all year? That's absurd. Minimum wage now is like 60 bucks a day after tax and a good cheesesteak is like 15. Its like...dumpster diving is more efficient. People who eat out of trash cans are arguably doing better with their time than low wage workers, because neither are making enough to pay rent.

Pay someone 40 an hour, get a skilled laborer. People who pay me this amount can run smaller staffs of extremely specialized talented employees who work their ass off and lower labor costs. I get paid that, and I am worth that. Stop going for quantity over quality and you'll get better workers.

If you are paying people less that 15 or 20 an hour, you get what you get. You aren't paying them enough to be happy and productive because they need to work 70 hour weeks to survive. So stop expecting them to be happy and productive or pay them enough to quit the 2nd job.

Edited By: DerrickICN on Nov 9th 2020, 6:16:41
Back To Thread
See Original Post
See Subsequent Edit