Verified:

Garry Owen Game profile

Sep 10th 2021, 4:51:31

Sadly, this is not from The Onion... it is a serious news story about a country that was once one of the great lights of Freedom for the world...

----------
An Australian state is testing out a new app that uses facial recognition technology to ensure residents are complying with COVID-19 home quarantine orders.

The app, listed as Home Quarantine SA in app stores and unveiled by the South Australian government Aug. 23, uses geo-location and facial recognition software to track those quarantining themselves, South Australia Premier Steven Marshall told ABC News in an August interview. All South Australians ordered to quarantine must download the app.

The app ensures citizens comply with quarantine orders by contacting people at random and asking them to provide proof of their location within 15 minutes. Citizens then share their location with the government or provide “live face check-ins” to confirm they are at their “registered quarantine address,” according to the app’s description.

“We don’t tell them how often or when, on a random basis they have to reply within 15 minutes,” Marshall told ABC News.

Individuals who miss their geolocation check-ins will receive a follow-up phone call where they will have to discuss why they missed the notification, and if they miss that, a “compliance officer” may visit their home, according to the app’s FAQs.

“I think every South Australian should feel pretty proud that we are the national pilot for the home-based quarantine app,” Marshall said.

https://www.msn.com/...eft-your-house/ar-AAO2FD9
-------------

The whole world is crazy.... :(

Anarchist Game profile

Sep 10th 2021, 5:36:16

Hell look at the US currently a president wants to force private companies to comply with 100% vaccination rate or test weekly.

Gerdler Game profile

Forum Moderator

Sep 11th 2021, 13:07:50

Calling people at who should be home, at random and making sure they are home. I don't see how that is an infringement of any sort.

What Biden is doing is a little harsher, but I kinda get it. You guys have vaccination rates in some areas around 30% and you had vaccine surplus months before us. Still interesting to see if your laws actually allow that. Ours dont seem to.
They say we are getting past 90% vaccination of those above 16 yo once it's done and it's not compulsory for anyone, not even health care employees.

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Sep 11th 2021, 15:32:33

I wouldn't want someone calling me to see where I am at, just look at my cellphone GPS! KIDDING (but am I?). They only have meta-data right?

One of the biggest problems in the US is the distrust of the Government. It's baked into our DNA and is partly to blame on the Government itself for taking lots of pro big business positions at the expense of the constituents. It's not as corrupt as a place like China, but it's pretty corrupted by money.

Disenfranchised, low-income, low-educated people will never do what they say, and I don't totally blame them.

Gerdler Game profile

Forum Moderator

Sep 11th 2021, 17:42:52

Low-income, low-educated and disenfranchised people are by default the groups of people that the government benefits the most. I mean I know your tax system is different and all that but I think it holds true more or less anywhere that the more taxes you pay the less you get back from the government as a percentage of what you pay, and if you pay very little you are a net benefactor of government spending/taxes.

Syko_Killa Game profile

Sep 12th 2021, 0:04:01

I currently have the flu, started last night and its been rough. In order to verify that I don't have covid, don't i have to get tested, which requires me to go out? Than again, the clinics I called will only allow me to do a telecall because of the symptoms I have. I didnt get sick until I started a new gig and I was only there for a week and now I cannot work because i'm sick and exhausted. Perhaps quarantine isnt such a bad idea after all.
Do as I say, not as I do.

farmer Game profile

Sep 12th 2021, 2:52:06

yeh we have a fluff head that thinks he can impose the will of the government on private companies.

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Sep 12th 2021, 4:09:26

For the children!
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6VRMGTwU4I
-=TSO~DKnights~ICD~XI~LaF=-

S.F. Giants 2010, 2012, 2014 World Series Champions, fluff YEAH!

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Sep 12th 2021, 13:06:31

Originally posted by Gerdler:
Low-income, low-educated and disenfranchised people are by default the groups of people that the government benefits the most. I mean I know your tax system is different and all that but I think it holds true more or less anywhere that the more taxes you pay the less you get back from the government as a percentage of what you pay, and if you pay very little you are a net benefactor of government spending/taxes.

It's much more complicated than that. I'm sure you can google it if you wish to spend your time on such a thing.

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Sep 13th 2021, 4:49:02

Originally posted by Syko_Killa:
I currently have the flu, started last night and its been rough. In order to verify that I don't have covid, don't i have to get tested, which requires me to go out? Than again, the clinics I called will only allow me to do a telecall because of the symptoms I have. I didnt get sick until I started a new gig and I was only there for a week and now I cannot work because i'm sick and exhausted. Perhaps quarantine isnt such a bad idea after all.

Sorry to hear you contracted COVID-19, godspeed bro, stay hydrated and keep an eye for fever and breathing issues.
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)

Anarchist Game profile

Sep 13th 2021, 5:18:35

Not really tho the amount of money the government spends is considered a burden by many. Hence the belief the govt introduced crack and aids into the "ghettos" to kill so many people the amount spent would lessen. Also many think the government purposely keeps the low income people in those situations to keep them out of power positions. The money equals power so keep the poor poor and not have to worry about them changing anything.

galleri Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express, Tourney, & FFA

Sep 14th 2021, 2:10:09

I don't see why the need for an app. They watch all of you through your tv play with yourselves.

Yeah I said it 🤣

https://gyazo.com/...b3bb28dddf908cdbcfd162513

Kahuna: Ya you just wrote the fkn equation, not helping me at all. Lol n I hated algebra.

Garry Owen Game profile

Sep 14th 2021, 5:09:20

Yes, the idea that the federal government should have the power to force private companies to force employees to take medical care is.... fascist.

One of the hallmarks of fascist states is that while the ownership of capital remains in private hands, the state can use the private companies to carry out government policy.

Like required vaccines.
Like controlling what news is allowed and what things are not allowed
Like demonizing political opponents
Like directing the type / style / availability of goods and services (and that they be all electric)

Very scary. They even have new Brownshirts... only they wear all black. Still carry sticks and burn down the businesses of those they dont like terrorize the mass of people into inaction or into going along with the mob.....

enshula Game profile

EE Patron

Sep 14th 2021, 5:30:06

you know you can just ignore it if you want?

the only downside is someone may come check up on you, and if your not doing anything wrong, which basically means being at home they wont even care

south australia has no or very little covid right now, and for the whole pandemic actually, this is going to effect close contacts of maybe a few people a day

plus perhaps anyone allowed to do stay at home quarantine after re entering the state, actually i think it might apply only to those who choose to do their quarantine at home rather than in a hotel

TaSk1 Game profile

EE Patron

Sep 14th 2021, 11:48:02

Western Australia is fort Knox
Witness the fitness!
IXMVP.

Suicidal Game profile

Sep 14th 2021, 11:50:08

Biden's message to Australia:

"hey, while you are down there....."

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Sep 14th 2021, 15:31:23

Blow me?
(•_•)

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Sep 14th 2021, 16:22:34

"look at my leg hair."

tmas Game profile

Sep 15th 2021, 0:01:33

I think what Australia has done with the app is great, and what Biden has done is also great. Very happy but imo more needs to be done. If they came out and said 1 month this time only everyone goes home for one month unless it's an actual emergency and it's enforced by police and military. One month of your life you go home to live without this thing for a while....I'd do it. I'd be happy. Man up and so the right thing for humanity.

Gerdler Game profile

Forum Moderator

Sep 15th 2021, 0:43:02

Not sure if serious, but..

The problem with lockdowns seems to be that when only essential workers are supposed to work you end up having 60-70% of the workforce being defined as essential workers.

Anything with distribution of goods and you are obviously essential. As are police, military, fire dept, health care, elderly care.
Then you have everyone who makes or sells food, heating, electicity. Then you have anyone who supplies any of these aforementioned services/businesses, they are also essential.

So like construction workers are essential because they build hospitals and other infrastructure needed to fight covid, and then ofc those who make concrete, and those who make insulation, those who make hammers, spanners, two-by-four, buckets... so its really only hairdressers, sports stars, actors, and maybe some restaurant employees that end up being classified as non-essential in the end.

Either way. It baffles me that no one figured this out yet; we shouldnt have lockdowns we should have lock-outs: Force everyone outdoors, since covid spreads less outdoors than indoors we should all be locked out of our homes for a few weeks to curb the spread. :P

Bug Game profile

EE Patron

Sep 15th 2021, 3:04:12

Either way. It baffles me that no one figured this out yet; we shouldnt have lockdowns we should have lock-outs: Force everyone outdoors, since covid spreads less outdoors than indoors we should all be locked out of our homes for a few weeks to curb the spread. :P

...What?!

tmas Game profile

Sep 15th 2021, 16:34:35

Not sure if serious, but..

The problem with lockdowns seems to be that when only essential workers are supposed to work you end up having 60-70% of the workforce being defined as essential workers.

Anything with distribution of goods and you are obviously essential. As are police, military, fire dept, health care, elderly care.
Then you have everyone who makes or sells food, heating, electicity. Then you have anyone who supplies any of these aforementioned services/businesses, they are also essential.

So like construction workers are essential because they build hospitals and other infrastructure needed to fight covid, and then ofc those who make concrete, and those who make insulation, those who make hammers, spanners, two-by-four, buckets... so its really only hairdressers, sports stars, actors, and maybe some restaurant employees that end up being classified as non-essential in the end.

That is why I said everyone, not only essential workers. I said only can leave in emergency. You get two weeks maybe one. To get everything you need for a lengthy lockdown, only people allowed out are emergency care providers. (Hospital type) and enforcement crews police/ military. They would have a # setup to call to ask for things, ect.

It still wouldn't get 100% but it would greatly reduce, enough to not have to worry about it for a while possibly forever. At the levels we do. It would most likely end the pandemic.

Gerdler Game profile

Forum Moderator

Sep 16th 2021, 18:31:47

So people are gonna stay at home with no health care, electricity, water, heating, grocery stores or garbage collection? And this is to be enforced by police that are at home as well?

I do hear you about a short but harsh lockdown, and I wish someone other than China had actually tried that at one point to see if it can actually work in a democratic society, but there has to be exceptions for people who are 'actually essential' in the short term.

tmas Game profile

Sep 17th 2021, 3:22:08

So people are gonna stay at home with no health care, electricity, water, heating, grocery stores or garbage collection? And this is to be enforced by police that are at home as well?

I do hear you about a short but harsh lockdown, and I wish someone other than China had actually tried that at one point to see if it can actually work in a democratic society, but there has to be exceptions for people who are 'actually essential' in the short term.

You didn't read what I said?

Cool

Drow Game profile

Sep 19th 2021, 10:15:39

Unfortunately, there's been a run of people who are meant to be in home quarantine blatantly flouting it and going the fluff out. We've been damn lucky outside of NSW and Victoria with regards to Covid (NSW is currently getting more cases a day than my state has had total since Covid arrived in Australia), and we'd like to keep it that way.

Here in WA, we have no community transmission, and as a result, we can have full capacity gatherings, no requirements for social distancing, we've seen just 3 lockdowns total, 2 weeks early on, a 3 day lock down and a 4 day lockdown, the 3 day after a security guard tested positive, and the 4 day after a guy who'd just got out of quarantine tested positive, and he'd spread it to a few people. Fortunately we got on top of it fast as a result, and now, we live our lives basically as normal here.

Short form, if people weren't being assholes about quarantine in SA, they wouldn't be rolling out the software.

Retired Earth type.

ninong Game profile

Sep 20th 2021, 19:31:35

mate
ninong, formerly Johnny Demonic
IX

Suicidal Game profile

Sep 20th 2021, 21:50:35

Originally posted by tmas:

You didn't read what I said?

Cool

The purge