Verified:

Primeval Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Apr 28th 2022, 0:59:17

Anyone that has the interest and a lot of spare time (looking in your direction gerdy) want to get on alpha FFA and play with the luck bonus? I see the occasional "I've heard it does _____, but never confirmed it" on various things not mentioned in the bonus announcement from 2011 - mostly related to the random events. Who wants to experiment?

Originally posted by Slagpit:

Luck

Luck is the subtlest of the permanent bonuses. Investing in luck will lead to better explore returns, greater missile production, and lower market times. In addition, lucky countries have a greater chance of getting spy ops against countries with better spy networks and a greater chance of successfully attacking when oversending.

Slag later makes the comment on that thread: "It decreases the standard deviation of the "random factor"."

Edited By: Primeval on Apr 28th 2022, 1:06:32

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 28th 2022, 14:02:38

No thanks - just share the source code for luck bonus.

~LAR

galleri Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express, Tourney, & FFA

Apr 28th 2022, 19:33:24

Originally posted by Primeval:
Anyone that has the interest and a lot of spare time (looking in your direction gerdy) want to get on alpha FFA and play with the luck bonus? I see the occasional "I've heard it does _____, but never confirmed it" on various things not mentioned in the bonus announcement from 2011 - mostly related to the random events. Who wants to experiment?

Originally posted by Slagpit:

Luck

Luck is the subtlest of the permanent bonuses. Investing in luck will lead to better explore returns, greater missile production, and lower market times. In addition, lucky countries have a greater chance of getting spy ops against countries with better spy networks and a greater chance of successfully attacking when oversending.

Slag later makes the comment on that thread: "It decreases the standard deviation of the "random factor"."

Well get on it. You have the interest and access lol

https://gyazo.com/...b3bb28dddf908cdbcfd162513

Kahuna: Ya you just wrote the fkn equation, not helping me at all. Lol n I hated algebra.

Primeval Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

May 1st 2022, 3:26:11

I havent run turns in over a year

Gerdler Game profile

Forum Moderator

May 1st 2022, 19:14:58

All I ever did was look at luck for explore returns and missile production.

If it has effect on spy ops it could be quite important in some war settings but I have not touched that and I will not.

I have some numbers lying around in an excel sheet from my quite limited testing(I only tested low luck bonus) but as I recall my conclusions were:

Missile production:
1. With high warfare the difference in missile production, with low luck vs no luck, is more or less negligeble.
2. With low warfare the difference is quite noticeable.

It makes it a bit odd tho because if you care about missiles at all, you wouldn't run low warfare.

Anecdotally people who make war have tested it out and told me that turns make more missiles. That is not a complete analysis tho, since turns make so much more than missiles(more land, spies, stock etc) and luck also do so much more than missiles(more explore gains, spy op success, market timing help?).

Explores would be interesting to try out more rigorously because iirc I saw quite significant improvement in explore gains over 1000 turns and such. This could in fact matter in a longer server where exploring is the primary mode of growth.

It's been a bit pointless for me because it never mattered to anything I play so I never found a reason to research it rigorously.

Gerdler Game profile

Forum Moderator

May 1st 2022, 19:30:54

Anything with randomness takes quite a bit of time to look at rigoriously btw. This is especially true if there are other factors that are not known how they effect the outcome.

Anything with spies for instance is hell to test, since theres randomness and spy DR(being spied out) and the attacker loses spies when he fails (if target has spies) and other things about spies we don't know about from what the devs have told us(or possibly even told us faulty information about).

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

May 2nd 2022, 5:29:28

Interesting....
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6VRMGTwU4I
-=TSO~DKnights~ICD~XI~LaF=-

S.F. Giants 2010, 2012, 2014 World Series Champions, fluff YEAH!

eddyngwk Game profile

May 2nd 2022, 8:13:32

Indeed

paradise Game profile

May 3rd 2022, 7:57:30

Yeh it would be nice to know the formula for the effects of luck.

I just assumed that if you increase luck by 0.4%, then you have 0.4% extra luck for producing a missile and having a successful spy op. For example, if warfare was 2%, then 0.4% luck would be 2% * 1.004 = 2.008% which is negligible.

If, say, you invested heavily in luck and have 2%, then 2% of 2% would be 2.04% which is still insignificant. I might be wrong with my assumptions though.

Also, I think they should make luck increase the chance of a positive event, such as a PCI or food boom. This would make this luck bonus option a bit more attractive. Although, I guess this is up to the developers to decide.

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jul 7th 2022, 18:04:44

The original explanation isn't that far off the mark. Luck does the following:

* Increase the chance of getting a positive random event (such as PCI booms)
* Decrease the chance of getting a negative random event (such as earthquakes)
* Increase the chance of missile production
* Increase explore rate returns
* Decrease standard deviation of "random factor" when performing attacks
* Increase chance of successful spy ops regardless of SPAL
* Reduce maximum time to market

It works in a relative, multiplicative fashion. For example, if you had a 50% chance of successfully completing a spy op, a 10% luck bonus would boost your success chance to 55%.

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Jul 7th 2022, 18:08:47

Good input, thank you Slagpit and good to see you!
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)

groove311 Game profile

Sep 20th 2022, 18:44:42

Is it recommended to spend on luck bonus a lot?
carlos song

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Sep 20th 2022, 21:06:57

Originally posted by groove311:
Is it recommended to spend on luck bonus a lot?

Depending on what strategy you're playing, each strategy will dictate what bonus to apply for the most part.
(•_•)

Tertius Game profile

EE Patron

Sep 21st 2022, 1:06:58

For luck, you typically use that if you're exploring the whole set (all explore).

commander1972 Game profile

Sep 22nd 2022, 16:54:38

luck is your friend

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Sep 22nd 2022, 19:55:43

Originally posted by Tertius:
For luck, you typically use that if you're exploring the whole set (all explore).

Making missiles, all hail war mongers!!!!
(•_•)

Tertius Game profile

EE Patron

Sep 22nd 2022, 21:53:22

I think for missiles, luck is more impactful if you don't have warfare tech, but gets washed out if you do (so war mongers may want to focus on something else).

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Sep 23rd 2022, 2:28:53

In FFA you can test that, all my bonus injected countries with same warfare % were more productive than non bonus countries.
(•_•)

Tertius Game profile

EE Patron

Sep 24th 2022, 1:06:42

At high or low warfare %?

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Sep 24th 2022, 3:26:35

All maxed warfare tech of course, also this was 2012, not sure how much things changed coding wise in that server 🤷 maybe Prime can fill us in?
(•_•)