Duff Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 19th 2021, 17:49:50

cheers DD

LittleItaly Game profile

Game Moderator
Alliance & FFA

Oct 20th 2021, 1:17:54

alternative server name has always worked.

irc.evolution2025.com
LittleItaly
SOL Vet
-Discord: LittleItaly#2905
-IRC: irc.scourge.se #sol
-Apply today @ http://sol.ghqnet.com for Alliance

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 20th 2021, 16:22:57

I think the only problem is that server limits the number of connections to it.

Bug Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 20th 2021, 22:58:16

Does it?

As far as I remmeber irc.earthempires.com was not pointed in the right direction any more.

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 21st 2021, 1:18:45

It used to but there might not be enough people for that to matter anymore :p

DerrickICN Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 31st 2021, 7:25:40

Req is correct. The limit is I believe 54 local users. It has been rare to encounter anymore for obvious reasons. Was a big problem a couple years ago when the main server would go down and actually 50+ people were warring. That never happens anymore tho so it's super rarely an issue lately.

Was high key part of the reason many clans migrated to scourges server a couple years ago tho. When we were doing 50v50 and stuff it was a HUGE PROBLEM. I've been a part of multiple warchats getting canceled over that limit, but all were years ago at this point, and at that time, main server outages only occurred here and there. Chanserv only died maybe 2 years ago now, and the server itself maybe 1 year ago.

Edit: confirmed it's 54. Currently 20 users/bots idle, so an influx of even 34 users could hit the limit. In other words, it's still possible to encounter it with even this tiny community. Were clans like mercs and such still on the server, or if LaF were to have joint wars with scourge based clans such as sol and choose to use the evolution server for chats, you'd still absolutely run into people unable to connect. Most clans have discord relays now, so it probably wouldnt be a big deal, and has probably led to less overall volume on the server, but you can absolutely clog the pipes by opening a pile of web based IRC clients and maxing the limit by yourself. Just did it and it absolutely wouldnt let number 55 connect haha.

If I currently played, I would absolutely want that fact hidden from syko lol. Its frankly annoyingly easy to abuse and I like the market chans format on the evo server better. Haha.

I officially name this strategy "evo server hijacking" and deem that it is for "losers."

Edited By: DerrickICN on Oct 31st 2021, 8:03:45
See Original Post

Mr Gainsboro Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 1st 2021, 21:31:07

I never noticed that issue, the reason we moved was cause of chanserv being down for months at a time making it hard to lead warchats with locked rooms.
Don of LaF