Verified:

h2orich Game profile

Aug 16th 2014, 10:07:41

What tax rate?

Marshal Game profile

Aug 16th 2014, 18:31:50

0 if you can afford.
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

h2orich Game profile

Aug 17th 2014, 4:41:56

If you're below 20% of your max pop, even 0% increases your pop by 40 per turn.

If you're above 20% of your max pop, setting tax rate at 0% will harm your production even further because your max pop increases alot. Setting tax rate at 70%, you get good production but pop gain is slow. ><.

I guess the right way is to go 70% tax till your pop gain is almost 0 then slowly decrease your tax.

Xinhuan Game profile

Aug 17th 2014, 6:20:38

Originally posted by h2orich:
Setting tax rate at 70%, you get good production but pop gain is slow. ><.

Pop gain is actually the same whatever your tax rate is, until your current pop is near your max pop (about 1/2 to 2/3 of max pop). The pop gain formula does not contain "tax rate".

Furious999 Game profile

Aug 17th 2014, 11:00:16

Well, the formula that does contain tax rate is that which ties pop to production.

Once you recover to 20% of max population setting tax to 70% (until pop has fully recovered) increases your production a lot.

You also need to get rid of your Residential (and possibly Residences too although I have not tested that).

There is another thread on this.

Xinhuan Game profile

Aug 17th 2014, 14:10:46

Yes, we know this. Setting a higher tax rate lowers your maxpop, which increases your pop / maxpop ratio, and this increases production.

Basic math.

Furious999 Game profile

Aug 17th 2014, 17:52:31

Yes. Same point regarding Residential.

Of course a casher does not produce anything other than money so it is different for them. But if, as a techer, Indy, farmer or oiler you want production while recovering (and hard to think why you wouldn't) you do as above.

As a techer I found myself playing turn by turn on express (which is quite seriously tedious) but the tech rate varies turn by turn as the pop recovers.

As a general point, I had plenty of money on hand plus the ability to sell stockpiled tech which obviously helped but overall I was a bit surprised at how quickly my country recovered. AB runs will remain the wrecking process of choice I think.