Verified:

BobbyATA Game profile

Jan 26th 2011, 15:41:53

1 year in and still no major change to diminish suiciding. What happened to the anti-suiciding petition signed by all 3 of the games admins back in the good old days?

http://forums.earthempires.com/...p=1296048589&z=i-quit is just another example of why we need to do something.

My suggestions would probably tend to the more radical side, and this thread is more meant to become a place for everyone to share their ideas on the issue of suiciding (especially on solo servers). On solo servers I suggest not allowing special attacks against countries that have no attacked you. Less radical might be losing incredible amounts of readiness for such attacks if unprovoked (due to protests?) and/or reducing the effectiveness of such attacks.

On the alliance server suiciding seems to be less of an issue than it used to be, in part b/c it is virtually impossible to run an untagged country to high enough production capacity to be able to actually inflict damage on clans..

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jan 26th 2011, 16:57:27

Mmmm yea maybe it's because it's reduced in alliance that we haven't worried so much; the no-drop of land has really helped there;

in solo servers i guess there is more suiciding via specials though eh

i had an idea for changing the war formula up which would have affected this, but it's still in alpha stages, so we'll see if anybody wants to actually do that other than me :)
Finally did the signature thing.

spawn Game profile

Jan 26th 2011, 18:37:29

get it out of the alpha stage, i still like the changes you want to do qz!
/slap iZarcon

All your deleted countries are belong to me!

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jan 26th 2011, 19:08:01

this sounds a lot like what Slag implemented on the Express server :p
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

BobbyATA Game profile

Jan 26th 2011, 19:16:48

wait what did Slag do on express? Link?

BobbyATA Game profile

Jan 26th 2011, 19:19:21

woah express has been that way for a few months now? WTF lol, I guess I should play there sometime

mazooka Game profile

Jan 26th 2011, 19:43:55

i dont know. sdi and gdi are already in the game. everyone used to know you better have a good amount of sdi if you want to keep your country nice in primary.especially a t10 country. they all have bullseyes on them. i mean really, does something like this require a rule change? it does suck when it happens to you, but like most things in the game thers already a fix.

beside suiciding isnt suiciding in solo servers you noobs. its playing the game. you guys put the warfare tech and ABs and spies and crap in there. dont talk fluff when a player likes this stuff and uses it. its a game, people react and play differently.

suiciding is such a bullfluff term in solo servers. some people make countries to war and if you leave some weakness in your country so you can gain additional nw later(like not buying up sdi being fat and in the t10) thats a mistake on your part. better sacrifice a few mill nw off your final nw and get sdi and tanks next time. next time youll get ABed. i checked a crystal ball.

Tertius Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 26th 2011, 19:47:21

Yeah, it's kind of nice how Express is a mini-test server which rapidly accruing turns. In my opinion, it is nice that a server exists which has an option to prevent suiciding, but I do think even if radical changes are made across the board, having at least one server dedicated to the possibility of senseless warring/suiciding is important.

I guess I'd like to think of that server as being Tourny, because then either you can only suicide in the lower levels, or it at least takes a set before someone can do damage on the scale that affects rankings.

I've never played a full round of primary, so I can't really comment much on that, but the few times I played, I would make a retal and then get suicided on by the defender and his allies (but I assume those were new players with their RL friends from their strats).

mazooka Game profile

Jan 26th 2011, 20:17:45

its a game. its all senseless. how did you get suicided on in primary? did the country that attacked you suddenly die from attacking you? thats the distinction that needs to be made. a new/casual player in a solo server who starts attacking someone in game isnt thinking"im gonna attack this guy until someone kills my country". hes thinking hes kicking your ass. believe it or not, some people that havent played this game for 10-15 years want to try everything out and have "senseless" wars with people.

just because you have a "senseless" way you like to play, doesnt make your senseless way any less senseless than anyone else who plays. 999 acre challenge anyone?

BobbyATA Game profile

Jan 27th 2011, 14:25:15

I think the war game aspect of this is highlighted if you can only go to war with those that you have a reason to go to war with. The diplomatic aspect is highlighted as well, if I know where the potential threats are I may be able to succesfully avoid them. SDI and tanks can only help so much. Once you start grabbing people who aren't complete noobs (which is pretty early on given the current player base) 2 or 3 days worth of their production can easily produce more tanks than you can reasonably try to have on hand.

If we have humanitarians nand GDI who restrict attacks based on NW, could we not have a UN of sorts restricting or punishing "unwarranted" destructive attacks?

BobbyATA Game profile

Jan 27th 2011, 19:15:32

obviously on alliance server you would need to allow countries to AB/GS/etc. countries that have never hit them before. But perhaps we could still have a UN of sorts that restricted such attacks even on the alliance server UNLESS two alliances formally went to war somehow...

BobbyATA Game profile

Jan 27th 2011, 19:18:04

this could help the "blindsiding" overpowering FS problem on alliance server. Perhaps clans must declare war on another clan 12 hours before any special attacks the "UN" forbids would be allowed.

NOW3P Game profile

Jan 27th 2011, 19:52:49

Didn't really read the wall o' text above, but I have to add to the discussion that removing what makes suiciding possible from the game also removes what a lot of us play this game for, and in many cases there is no amount of code that can differentiate between the two.

I just hope folks are keeping this in mind.

SakitSaPuwit Game profile

Jan 28th 2011, 4:53:09

I would not say that nothing has been done, it seems as if many people took it as a challenge!

maybe not in the way that you wanted them too,

but...
but what do i know?
I only play this game for fun!

WH Game profile

Jan 29th 2011, 1:04:33

I find it necessary to retal with missles on occasion. Think before you farm.

osloos Game profile

Jan 29th 2011, 7:54:43

you cant take war out of the current servers. its too important to the game. besides equalizing, war and suiciding push up the markets, which helps provide some balance across strategies