Verified:

Pangaea

Administrator
Game Development

May 6th 2010, 6:39:34

http://www.newsweek.com/id/183670

The legendary editor of The New Republic, Michael Kinsley, once held a "Boring Headline Contest" and decided that the winner was "Worthwhile Canadian Initiative." Twenty-two years later, the magazine was rescued from its economic troubles by a Canadian media company, which should have taught us Americans to be a bit more humble. Now there is even more striking evidence of Canada's virtues. Guess which country, alone in the industrialized world, has not faced a single bank failure, calls for bailouts or government intervention in the financial or mortgage sectors. Yup, it's Canada. In 2008, the World Economic Forum ranked Canada's banking system the healthiest in the world. America's ranked 40th, Britain's 44th.

We haven't had any pro Canadian threads on the boards yet.... so I think it's time we have one!

WOOOOOO ya, this recession didn't hit here nearly as hard as it hit everyone else. Long term fiscal responsibility and proper bank regulation FTW!!!

When I was in high school and just starting my undergrad degree, I wanted to move to the states and get a job in the software industry, but as I got older, and took some basic economics classes, I realized Canada is way more awesome of a place to live and work unless you're really rich!

Also, we won gold in hockey at the olympics.... booya!
-=Dave=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires' Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

mrford Game profile

May 6th 2010, 6:40:57

canada?

isnt that in eastern europe somewhere?
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

Pangaea

Administrator
Game Development

May 6th 2010, 6:45:40

also, I guess I'll pose the question... why doesn't America adopt more of these obviously positive policies Canada has worked with for years?
-=Dave=-
Earth Empires Staff

Dragonlance Game profile

May 6th 2010, 6:50:33

because they are stupid?:p

the way australia is turning into a mini US, i might just have to move to canada:p

FFWN Game profile

May 6th 2010, 6:50:34

No no no... its northern Wisconsin

you just had to bring up the gold medal ugh. =S
ICQ 563913303
~Drop your fence and scale the pants this is serious business~

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

May 6th 2010, 11:47:06

canada has a stream of bank failiures in the 1920's and
1 bank (more like credit union) failure in the 1980s (this was due to outright criminal activity).

The big irony is that other than health care, the canadian government (and lower levels) subsidize things far less in general than their American counterparts.

Regarding financial institution regulation, it's more of a business culture/approach thing than the way the laws are written. Most financial institutions in Canada don't see the regulator as the enemy. Also, most rules/changes are done via discussion with whatever segment is affected. Most of the guidelines are "principle" based rather than rules based and some flexibility is allowed based on individual company's situations.
you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

NukEvil Game profile

May 6th 2010, 11:56:31

Canada has banks?
I am a troll. Everything I say must be assumed to be said solely to provoke an exaggerated reaction to the current topic. I fully intend to bring absolutely no substance to any discussion, ongoing or otherwise. Conversing with me is pointless.

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

May 6th 2010, 12:04:16

yes. and they own US banks:)
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

Devestation Game profile

May 6th 2010, 12:23:46

Australia didn't even enter recession. Buzz off, stupid northerners.

dustfp Game profile

May 6th 2010, 12:27:18

I'm with you there DL, I'd love to move to Canada, but the other half doesn't like the cold
-fudgepuppy
SancTuarY President
msn:
aim: fudgepuppy6988
http://collab.boxcarhosting.com

LittleItaly Game profile

Game Moderator
Alliance, FFA, & Cooperation

May 6th 2010, 13:55:27

1 Canadian dollar = 0.968617 U.S. dollars

1 Australian dollar = 0.9042 U.S. dollars
LittleItaly
SOL Vet
-Discord: LittleItaly#2905
-IRC: irc.scourge.se #sol
-Apply today @ http://sol.ghqnet.com for Alliance

Devestation Game profile

May 6th 2010, 14:03:03

There are 22 million Australians and 35 million Canadians- while we both smack the USA, I'm still detecting Australia being ahead of Canada.

MorTcuS Game profile

May 6th 2010, 14:07:22

what is australlia?
174099715 (not in use)

Steam : wargasm1

Just A Thought TAM Game profile

May 6th 2010, 14:10:30

Australia is the Western Hemispshere's Early Warning Outpost of the inevitable Chinese World Takeover. Once Paul Hogan starts speaking Chinese, we'll know they're on their way.

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

May 6th 2010, 14:40:54

before you make comments, how affordable is high speed internet in canada vs australia?:P
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

NOW3P Game profile

May 6th 2010, 14:43:19

Canada? Don't you mean North Montana?

AoS Game profile

May 6th 2010, 15:19:42

Aren't there only like, 30 million people in Canada? You guys must not get a lot of poon there.
The dreamer is banished to obscurity.

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

May 6th 2010, 15:37:45

we do. But we also have a very high usage of birth control, that and abortion is legal!:P
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

AoS Game profile

May 6th 2010, 15:53:21

Oh...so, basically, most people in Canada are sane?

Damn Canucks, with all your sensibility and knowledge and such.

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

May 6th 2010, 17:02:30

not sure. Our pm is an evil reptilian kitten eater.
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

lolicon Game profile

May 6th 2010, 17:57:58

Yay for our strong dollar, it makes importing stuff privately somewhat affordable!
Just because they're young, fictional, and two-dimensional does not make it wrong!

H4xOr WaNgEr Game profile

Forum Moderator

May 6th 2010, 18:50:44

but makes exporting stuff more difficult.

locket Game profile

May 6th 2010, 18:56:42

lol AoS quality>quantity. Although both together are better! :)

Deerhunter Game profile

May 6th 2010, 19:37:31

How can you brag about your economy??? If the USA stopped buying crap made in your country- you wouldnt have any income. And the biggest reason the USA is having troubles is all the illegals we got here. That and we buy all that crap made in Mexico, Canada, and China...

Stop trying to sell your crap over hear- we dont want it. And how about we deport all these worthless illegals to your country... Then you pay for their kids to go to school and their healthcare and see what it does to your economy...

I wont even mention deporting anyone to Australia- as it was a founded as a penal colony. So, basically, everyone there has come from either a warden (very few) or prisoners. And its easy to see why, unlike here in the USA, they wiped out the natives to that land. We respect other cultures- we dont KILL people cause they are different like Auzzies do...
Ya, tho i walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I shall fear no retals,
Cause i have the biggest, baddest, and toughest country in the valley!

deepcode Game profile

May 6th 2010, 19:59:14

Economy is starting to pickup now in the shwa. Lots of people had to take paycuts, hourcuts and other losses of benefits to keep their jobs. /shrug.

There is no way to compete with offshore production. I get a few guys in my store who look for canadian made, and they are willing to pay higher price for it. Most people want the best and the cheapest price though, and that naturally means chinese made.

Can't fight it unless more people are willing to pay higher prices.

Pangaea

Administrator
Game Development

May 6th 2010, 20:01:20

ya, all that crap made in Canada!

like the big 3's automobiles... and blackberries.... and all kinds of software :p

we do sell a lot of stuff to the states, but it goes both ways...
we sell a lot of crap to eachother.

Also... we have lots of oil :p lots and lots and lots of oil :D

too bad the albertan government is squandering away what should be money to ensure the financial stability of Canada in the long term. Heritage fund with the oil (which Idon't know a ton about, but it's good :p) would be awesome
-=Dave=-
Earth Empires Staff

Deerhunter Game profile

May 6th 2010, 21:16:07

ya and your oil isnt off shore where the britts can come and foul things up- ruining your beaches
Ya, tho i walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I shall fear no retals,
Cause i have the biggest, baddest, and toughest country in the valley!

Azz Kikr Game profile

Wiki Mod

May 6th 2010, 21:17:41

Originally posted by Just A Thought TAM:
Australia is the Western Hemispshere's Early Warning Outpost of the inevitable Chinese World Takeover. Once Paul Hogan starts speaking Chinese, we'll know they're on their way.

ni hao, mate

?

scary :P

Akula Game profile

EE Patron

May 6th 2010, 21:17:53

yup, loads of crap ... like moose fluff :)
=============================
"Astra inclinant, sed non obligant"

SOL http://sol.ghqnet.com/

locket Game profile

May 6th 2010, 21:56:16

DH id suggest thinking before posting so you don't sound ignorant :P Your first post is laughable.

But on the topic of destroying our beaches... we chose to destroy northern Alberta instead.

FFWN Game profile

May 6th 2010, 22:37:08

Originally posted by Deerhunter:
And its easy to see why, unlike here in the USA, they wiped out the natives to that land. We respect other cultures- we dont KILL people cause they are different like Auzzies do...

You gotta be kidding me right, ever heard of the Long Walk? or how about Pequot, the Narragansett, the Mohican, and the Pokanoket.(a very short list)
No you probably havent because they were all wiped out by this culture loving country of ours.

FFWN
Proud member of the Ojibwe Nation
ICQ 563913303
~Drop your fence and scale the pants this is serious business~

braden Game profile

May 7th 2010, 0:09:01

"how about we deport all these worthless illegals to your country... Then you pay for their kids to go to school and their healthcare and see what it does to your economy... "

You don't have to, we already have our own. We just call them legal, and let them do whatever they want. And yet thrive we do.

as for the natives, google manifest destiny, it's a fun read.

"There are 22 million Australians and 35 million Canadians- while we both smack the USA, I'm still detecting Australia being ahead of Canada."

but when the fluff hits the fan, australia is a lot farther away than canada is, for america to come a defendin'- and you know they will. again.

Edited By: braden on May 7th 2010, 0:12:10

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

May 7th 2010, 0:09:31

no.. what you want to make people research is
"great north west rebellion"

:P
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

dagga Game profile

May 7th 2010, 0:14:18

LOL Deerhunter.

Native Americans were greeted with hugs and free beer!
signatures are stupid.
Months since LaF netgained: 22

braden Game profile

May 7th 2010, 0:31:36

they hanged his french indian ass for treason, and then they wasted my fluffing time teaching me about it in grade.. what was it, seven or eight?
either way, a waste of my time. grade ten to skim over the world wars. i learned more from cedric smith on turning points of history. what a waste of history classes.

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

May 7th 2010, 0:47:10

braden is just bitter because he hasn't had enough beer today:P
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

Pangaea

Administrator
Game Development

May 7th 2010, 0:50:25

To comment on that whole "the US defends Canada/Australia/NATO..."
To my knowledge, the USA has never once defended Canada in any active conflict, other than perhaps WWII, however, we were fighting on behalf of our allies in Europe.

On the other hand, Canada has been involved with almost every overseas engagement the US has gotten into since the end of WWII.

So if anything, we fight to help America.... we took over a huge role in Afghanistan in 2003 so that it would free up US troops to go into Iraq... and we sent our special forces on an "exchange" program with the states.... we send our specially trained commandos, the US gave us some fresh recruits back :p

Stop trying to sell your crap over hear- we dont want it. And how about we deport all these worthless illegals to your country... Then you pay for their kids to go to school and their healthcare and see what it does to your economy...

mmmmm well first of all, that's the US's own fault for having a backward immigration policy built on the idea of fear and racism rather than furthering yourselves as a nation and as a society....

-=Dave=-
Earth Empires Staff

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

May 7th 2010, 1:05:58

actually the US has tried to invade canada a couple of times, and was pretty close to doing it a third time (but decided mexico was a better target).

us/canada military cooperation didn't really get going until british/US relations improved towards the end of the 19th century.

I note that canadians fought on both sides of the US civil war. You can actually find confederate graves in nova scotia for example.

There was indirect cooperation during WW1 prior to the US entry.

Same with WW2. The US actually built the alaska highway through canada and it is still used today. In exchange they got access to the busiest airport in ww2 and refueling/supply air base. (I think it still holds the record). Also one of the best shallow water sub bases on the west coast (which they still lease to this day).

During the cold war a large part of NORAD goes through canadian territory. (no deployed nuclear weapons are on canadian soil)

In Korea Canadians supported US forces very heavily.

Vietnam not so much lol.

Iraq I and Afghanistan, very much so.

Also the strategic power grids are integrated.

Also a good deal of quality winter US military gear comes from Canada:P
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

Akula Game profile

EE Patron

May 7th 2010, 1:16:37

and MRE moose hash
"Astra inclinant, sed non obligant"

SOL http://sol.ghqnet.com/

braden Game profile

May 7th 2010, 1:33:57

if anything happened today, i want to be on the side of the united states navy.

now i don't know about russia or china these days, how their navies match up, but my money is on america

(and no beer, i have to work tomorrow... so maybe some beer)

Edited By: braden on May 7th 2010, 1:35:01

Hellz X Game profile

May 7th 2010, 2:04:17

Wooo the scary USA Navy...lets see them float a boat over to Edmonton, Alberta :D

We will attack you with our 797 Caterpillar haul trucks!
Imaginary Numbers

AoS Game profile

May 7th 2010, 3:00:59

I am proud to say I live in almost Canada, aka Minnesota.

Fooglmog Game profile

May 7th 2010, 3:17:45

Why do we insist on sniping back and forth between Canada and America?

Both our countries hold similar ideals and have generally benefited from the strength of the other. This is likely to continue. Let's work together to undermine the Chinese, not fight one another.

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

May 7th 2010, 3:19:07

Don't forget Trinidad, too. Let's not waste all our efforts undermining just the Chinese. Gotta keep Trinidad in check.

Edited By: Just A Thought TAM on May 7th 2010, 3:19:54

Fooglmog Game profile

May 7th 2010, 3:21:41

Trinidad and Tobago... or just Trinidad?

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

May 7th 2010, 3:24:16

There is no Tobago. It's all Trinidad. Don't let them fool you with the two names. They're a powerhouse waiting to unleash.

hoop Game profile

May 7th 2010, 5:14:37

Out of curiosity how does Canada regulate bank growth (deposit size, locality of capitalization, etc.)? I'd also like to know how their government creates laws since clearly the american way of having politicians without a clue how things work writing and voting on these things doesn't work.

AoS Game profile

May 7th 2010, 5:20:09

They all just gather in the center of Canada, propose the laws, and take a "Nay or Eh?" vote.

I thought this would be obvious.

braden Game profile

May 7th 2010, 10:36:09

that is the thing, hellz, from either ocean, atlantic or pacific, they can drop more weight down on you that you could imagine, with pin point precision (some callateral damage will occur, obviously)

you would never be able to defend yourself, or fight back, from your land locked little crap cow town :P

but i'm with fooglmog on this one, work together to benefit the both of us

starhaven Game profile

May 7th 2010, 15:47:50

you know canada is not the only one who has had no bank failures australia also has not had any