Verified:

archaic Game profile

Nov 21st 2011, 2:39:25

or has this set gotten boring? It seems as if the winners and losers have pretty well been decided.

2 more weeks, seriously? Lets just sound the 72 hour bell and punt.

ugh
Cheating Mod Hall of Shame: Dark Morbid, Turtle Crawler, Sov

Garry Owen Game profile

Nov 21st 2011, 3:03:26

gets this way a lot

We need a new form of warfare... one that doesnt destroy countries. Restarts and long wars were great with lots of players... restarts had lots of company / targets and FA possibilities. But now the war is decided in a couple of days and the excitement is out.

I still believe land wars could be held -- two alliances pair off and see who can get the most total land gained from the other... highest avg land taken... special honors for biggest grab etc...

hanlong Game profile

Nov 21st 2011, 3:26:33

yah i like the old e2025 days way back in 1998ish where the only way to kill is landkill.

there was no netgaining and warring alliances. everyone warred to netgain (and vice versa) the game was balanced for both and it was fun.

i don't see why we can't do such a thing again. obviously pop kills vs no pop kills won't really change the solo servers so we are really talking about alliance/ffa/team servers here.
Don Hanlong
Don of La Famiglia

Detmer Game profile

Nov 21st 2011, 3:27:54

Originally posted by Garry Owen:
gets this way a lot

We need a new form of warfare... one that doesnt destroy countries. Restarts and long wars were great with lots of players... restarts had lots of company / targets and FA possibilities. But now the war is decided in a couple of days and the excitement is out.

I still believe land wars could be held -- two alliances pair off and see who can get the most total land gained from the other... highest avg land taken... special honors for biggest grab etc...

I proposed a change to the admins which by itself would revolutionize warfare in a very positive way. We'll see if it is implemented. (Basically, population kills would become impossible without more or less destroying the country first.)

Kyatoru Game profile

Nov 21st 2011, 3:33:30

Long/Lopsided wars have ended like this for a very long time. Staying motivated is a test on your alliances internal strength.
+Kya

hanlong Game profile

Nov 21st 2011, 3:35:00

the biggest fun factor of landkill only back then was you aren't just glorified suiciders. you are warring to make your country better. and inherently warring made your country achieve better nw (which was what was recorded on the t10/tnw/anw/etc.) charts so inheriting war performance was built into the existing achievement charts.

everything worked beautifully. another really big pro was no one really got 2 months of hard work destoyed in 15 seconds because of a quick GS/BR kill run. it makes ppl quit this game.

i remember AB and crippling was a valid tactic (therefore PDM would be the #1 alliance! :P).

i just don't get the point of mutually destructiveness (you are hurting your own country really by doing GS/BR runs since you are wasting resources to destroy more resources on the other side), other than promoting this whole war vs net paradigm (aka the only way to net well is to avoid war since war is a waste of resources from a netting prespective).

landkill only will assure that warring achieves the true endgoal of this game (obtain higher nws than others) and hence fuses together the goals of all alliances giving this game a more clearcut goal for everyone instead of two competing and incompatible forces (war vs net) and trying to figure out how to build an achievement system that works for both (right now as many warmongers point out, war efforts aren't really reflected by all the ingame achievements, and that is unfair to alliances like imag/sol/sof)

it has been done before in this game 13 years ago, why can't we do it again. clearly it worked better with teh 10k+ players in alliance at that time vs the paltry player counts now. you can ask anyone from that era and they would tell you how much more fun earth was back then than now.
Don Hanlong
Don of La Famiglia

dagga Game profile

Nov 21st 2011, 12:33:10

You really think the admins have enough time or will to makeimprovements to this dead war system? Here are 5 ideas that would at least improve the cancerous state of this games war dynamic;

1. Do not allow alliance v alliance war before there is a decent opportunity to display skill in wargaining/netgaining/stockpiling. (i.e. first 2 weeks) Do this by doing point 4 and not allowing special attacks on any country unless you declare war country to country in the first 2 weeks.

2. Give incentives to restarts. i.e. more starting turns, more resources, keep a percentage of tech levels, cash, bushels or bonuses from your previous country

3. Delay the AJAX attack system by 0.3-0.5 sec/hit

4. Formalize ingame war declarations. Do things like remove all stored turns from the aggressor alliance if the attack was a blindside. Many, many options here.

5. Make an ingame war power ranking. Encourage fair wars so that there is a ranking to work towards.

The status quo for war at the moment is that one side is trying to destroy the other side by making them lose members. Moronic thinking that is passively encouraged by admin inaction.
signatures are stupid.
Months since LaF netgained: 22

Crop Duster Game profile

Nov 21st 2011, 13:20:38

war is hell,but it is fun.

Marshal Game profile

Nov 21st 2011, 18:09:31

dagga's 2 was kinda suggested that players get their old countries back when they get killed but with half of pop etc.
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

archaic Game profile

Nov 22nd 2011, 0:05:35

Most of Daggas suggestions make sense - IF - they are set up in a way that does not allow powerful alliances to bully smaller alliances. As it stands right now, the OOP blindside is a potential equalizer - take it away and Sof (just an example) could kick ICN (also just example) around with complete impunity.
Cheating Mod Hall of Shame: Dark Morbid, Turtle Crawler, Sov

iTarl Game profile

Nov 22nd 2011, 1:44:04

r

ponderer Game profile

Nov 22nd 2011, 1:53:48

Originally posted by hanlong:

it has been done before in this game 13 years ago, why can't we do it again. clearly it worked better with teh 10k+ players in alliance at that time vs the paltry player counts now. you can ask anyone from that era and they would tell you how much more fun earth was back then than now.

+1

I'd also like to see keeping what you kill - countries that participate in a kill run get to divide the assets of the dead country based on number of hits.
m0m0rific