Verified:

rotnbanana Game profile

Mar 11th 2012, 18:46:37

useless. does not conserve energy

Marshal Game profile

Mar 11th 2012, 20:26:34

won't happen
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

rotnbanana Game profile

Mar 11th 2012, 23:42:06

it was only introduced in 1916, during an energy crisis during WWI, to conserve coal. its objective was so that all the many people who sleep in well past dawn could better utilize morning daylight.

today, it has negligible effect on our energy consumption.

in recent years its been repealed in Russia and Western Australia.
in north america: Arizona, Saskatchewan, & a small part of BC dont do DST.

u are prob rite, that it wont happen cuz too many lazy batards sleeping in late. early riser like me are rare.

Oceana Game profile

Mar 12th 2012, 10:54:12

I would question the fact of it not saving anything, in the 70's I belive the figure was over a billion a day savings in the US , so I would suspect that today it probably saves 7-8 times that as fuel prices are alot higher.

Dibs Ludicrous Game profile

Mar 12th 2012, 11:13:07

lighting isn't a major component of my summer energy usage.
There are no messages in your Inbox.
Elvis has left the building.

Klown Game profile

Mar 12th 2012, 22:12:56

Why would you want DST to be repealed? It stays lighter an hour longer each day, so much more you can fit into a day.

I guess it depends when you work, but most people go to work shortly after waking up so the morning darkness doesn't effect them. I get up at 4:45 and go to work at 5:30, so the extra hour of light in the evening greatly benefits me.

Dibs Ludicrous Game profile

Mar 12th 2012, 22:22:36

think it means that the A/C has to run an hour longer. i'd rather use my 2 13 watt light bulbs, which are usually on whether it's night or day anyway.
There are no messages in your Inbox.
Elvis has left the building.

braden Game profile

Mar 13th 2012, 23:35:25

what might you do, klown, that has you starting at five thirty? i worked landscaping for years, and the earliest i ever started was seven am.. and even that was far too early! :P

i'm down to conserve energy to help topple the kaiser, i'm down any day, weekends too..

Klown Game profile

Mar 14th 2012, 0:03:51

I'm a supervisor on the railroad, its a 24/7 operation.

braden Game profile

Mar 14th 2012, 13:14:27

you supervise the railroads schedules, or more the trains themselves?

if you don't mind me asking.. pure interest, i enjoy trains :P

Klown Game profile

Mar 14th 2012, 14:30:29

I'm a trainmaster, basically a front line supervisor of the employees that move the trains, I make sure the trains get from point A to point B safely and efficiently.

braden Game profile

Mar 14th 2012, 23:08:26

that is awesome, and sounds like both a lot of fun and a lot of stress?

did you do any particular schooling to get into this field, or more of a start as a part time job in high school/college and go into the field from there?

again, assuming you don't mind my asking.. :)

rotnbanana Game profile

Mar 14th 2012, 23:14:10

the recent studies have indicated the energy savings are negligible. you save on lighting but spend more on heating/cooling.

"Under Section 110 of the Act, the U.S. Department of Energy was required to study the impact of the 2007 DST extension no later than nine months after the change took effect. The report, released in October 2008, reported a nationwide electricity savings of 0.03% for the year of 2007.[6]

An October 2008 study conducted by the University of California at Santa Barbara for the National Bureau of Economic Research found that the 2006 DST adoption in Indiana increased energy consumption in Indiana by an average of 1%. Although energy consumption for lighting dropped as a result of the DST adoption, consumption for heating and cooling increased by 2 to 4%."
(Wikipedia, Daylight saving time in the United States)

there was another study in Japan also reported an negligible to increased energy consumption.

a real benifit is DST makes $$$$$. people spend more when they gain that extra hour of light in the evening. i believe that is the bigger reason DST got extended in 2007.

if not repealed, i would be okay with permanent DST like Iceland, Russia, and Belarus

@Klown people can also fit more into the day if they wake up an hour earlier. DST accommodates the greater majority that sleep in later past dawn. d'ya mean that u start your day at 16:45.

Klown Game profile

Mar 16th 2012, 3:29:36

Originally posted by braden:
that is awesome, and sounds like both a lot of fun and a lot of stress?

did you do any particular schooling to get into this field, or more of a start as a part time job in high school/college and go into the field from there?

again, assuming you don't mind my asking.. :)

Yep that about sums it up, fun at times but also can be very stressful because it is a dangerous occupation, not so much for me but for the people I manage. No special schooling, you start out in a management trainee program where they require only a bachelor's degree, doesn't matter what kind. Mine was in the social sciences.

Twain Game profile

Mar 18th 2012, 15:56:31

Originally posted by Klown:
I'm a trainmaster, basically a front line supervisor of the employees that move the trains, I make sure the trains get from point A to point B safely and efficiently.

I'm just a pretty big fan of any job title that has "master" at the end. The fact that it's trainmaster is even cooler.

Oceana Game profile

Mar 19th 2012, 11:28:24

Indiana study is meaningless, more then DST went into what happened in Indiana. Most of Indiana really belongs in the Central Time zone so when they didn't switch was more like they were.
The Indiana politics of moving most of the state to Eastern and then switching with them to DST was based on economics of the amount of business that was conducted with the east coast vs. Central Time zoners. The economics was not based on energy usage and wasn't even politiced as such.
Living in indiana. and yes here it should be Central time zone and switching to DST with them.