Verified:

Sifos Game profile

Apr 1st 2012, 7:51:32

Imaginary Numbers
If you're important enough to contact me, you will know how to contact me.
Self appointed emperor of the Order of Bunnies.
The only way to be certain your allies will not betray you is to kill them all!

PeaceMaker

Apr 1st 2012, 8:19:31

Originally posted by Cougar:
Originally posted by Junky:
not to sound mean, but another Cat. 5 Hurricane needs to hit New, New Orleans.. they really shouldn't put an important town in a bowl, below sealevel... surounded by water..

Tell that to the Dutch.

LMAO!!
Humble & Subtle. Even in the worse of times...

Dibs Ludicrous Game profile

Apr 1st 2012, 22:53:06

even if they did correctly predict the end of the world, what exactly are you going to do about it? run around like a chicken with it's head cut off? rape every woman who said "No"? just sit back, get drunk and enjoy the fireworks?
There are no messages in your Inbox.
Elvis has left the building.

Schilling Game profile

Apr 2nd 2012, 1:07:22

Originally posted by iSigma:
lol..only God knows if its really end of the world or not..Mayan arnt God so why waste our time thinking wehtr they'r right or not..

Always think for love and peace! and not on thinking that this world ends this coming December!

That's just trading one bats**t crazy religions theory for anothers...

Duke Game profile

Apr 2nd 2012, 1:34:02

for anyone who thinks the Mayans didnt account for leap days, they didnt have to. they used a long count calender that counted days, not solar cycles like our current Gregorian calender does. only our Gregorian calender, which is based from solar cycles, requires a leap day since the solar cycle actually lasts 365.25 (roughly) days, and not an even 365 days. the Mayan calender, on the other hand, counts actual days, all of them, including the ones we call leap days. so, it still works out to december 21st, 2012.

now, here is why the world is NOT going to end on the date predicted. although the Mayan calender accounts for leap days, and its an exact reflection of our own calender, just counted out differently, we have no way of knowing what day on the Mayan calender corresponds to what day in our calender. it was DETERMINED by 1 single solitary person, through many years of study of various fields such as astronomy, ethnography, archeology and iconography, that the Mayan calender starting date corresponds to august 11th, 3114 B.C. and the end date, roughly 5125 years later, is December 21st, 2012 A.D., and everyone, for some reason, took it as gospel and believed it to be true. its nothing more than an educated guess thats almost guaranteed to be wrong when dealing with such a large span of time. perhaps he may even have been close, but certainly not exact.

so, when will the world really end? probably never, and here is why. the Mayans end date is based off what could be considered their religion. they believed that their god created 4 worlds, 3 previous that had failed and one, ours, that worked, and so they put people on it. they also believed that the 3rd world was created and destroyed in 5125 years, and they also DETERMINED when their world was created, which they dubbed 0.0.0.0.0 (thats how their calender dates are written out) and their calender works out from that point on, to their "current" time, then all the way to their date of 13.0.0.0.0, almost 1.9 million days, or 5125 years, after the beginning. did they end the calender there because they actually believed their "4th" world would end on that date, or were they simply not sure whether or not it would last longer than that? and if the previous 3 worlds were destroyed because they were failures, why would their god destroy this successful world? and would it actually be destroyed in 5125 years? only the 3rd world had been destroyed after that amount of time, according to the Mayans.

so, as you can see, just because some ancient calender didnt carry on forever, doesnt mean the world is going to end on the last date that ancient calender had listed. whoever came up with the whole idea of the world actually ending on that date, sold about as much bullish as the catholic church (no offense catholics, i am one myself, but i know BS when i smell it lol)

and im terribly sorry for the long post, just thought id set the record straight for yall

Edited By: Duke on Apr 2nd 2012, 1:40:03
See Original Post

Garry Owen Game profile

Apr 2nd 2012, 1:41:43

Let me answer more concisely....

No.

:)

Duke Game profile

Apr 2nd 2012, 1:45:54

thanks garry, i assumed people would figure it out on their own, but i guess its best to not allow people to make their own assumptions... lol

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Apr 2nd 2012, 3:17:34

the mayans weren't predicting the end of the world nor is it really the end of their calendar. Pretty much it's the end of their largest unit of time which would have been incremented by one more if their civilization was still up and functionning (from 2 to 3 I believe). Their units of time were coordinated various astrological and natural things which were rather advanced compared to other civiliations at the time but similar knowledge existed elsewhere in the world. Given that they were cut off from other civilizations (unlike most everyone else at the time) their way of using astronomy just happened to end up being much more unique than the chinese, indians, or arabs).

you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

Firefly

Apr 2nd 2012, 3:25:57

Yup, many native groups in the Americas believed the earth has ended and been reborn 4-5 times. It is a symbolic rebirth, a changing of times, so to say. It was never meant to be apocalyptic, but I'm still going to try to get some end of the world strange out of some stupid college girl...

Forgotten

Apr 2nd 2012, 4:36:11

no one got mad at my epic bump this time.
~LaF's Retired Janitor~

bertz Game profile

Apr 2nd 2012, 4:52:41

Originally posted by Firefly:
Originally posted by Popcom:
Originally posted by weasel:
this is the dumbest thread

GDave Game profile

Apr 3rd 2012, 2:03:34

lol I say take the word of the educated people lol... enjoy the read if u wish!

http://www.nasa.gov/.../earth/features/2012.html

Dibs Ludicrous Game profile

Apr 3rd 2012, 18:01:00

hehe. you do understand that educated people were taught what to believe. well, technically, i think they were educated to do certain types of jobs.
There are no messages in your Inbox.
Elvis has left the building.

Hardy Game profile

Apr 4th 2012, 18:13:09