Verified:

Wharfed

May 7th 2012, 4:02:02

A good stance is of great importance to a good golf swing. You are making an athletic motion when you swing a golf club, so it is vital that you are in an athletic position, ready to swing the club to the best of your ability.

Stand tall with your heels about shoulder width apart. Bend slightly from the top of your hips, keeping your back straight and letting your rear stick out. Let your arms hang down. Keep your chin up. Look at the ball with the bottom of your eyes as much as possible. Let your right side (for right-handed golfers) tilt slightly lower than the left. Keep your weight equal and slightly toward the forward part of both feet.

Now relax the knees slightly. This is key. Make sure that when you relax the knees you keep your rear sticking out. Avoid that sitting down position that makes it hard to shift your weight properly. A proper stance and posture means the right position for the most effective golf swing. Practice the proper stance in front of a mirror and memorize its feel.
>Wharfed

ABOYNE (vb.) To beat an expert at a game of skill by playing so appallingly bad that none of his clever tactics or strategies are of any use to him.

dustfp Game profile

May 7th 2012, 4:06:26

I still slice with the driver, and I'm pretty sure it's all in the stance.
-fudgepuppy
SancTuarY President
msn:
aim: fudgepuppy6988
http://collab.boxcarhosting.com

madjsp Game profile

May 7th 2012, 4:16:29

HA! The two of you trying to teach golf. It's like a monkey taking over where Einstein left off!
-jonathan

joe3: bater sucks so bad imag could teach him a thing about war

dustfp Game profile

May 7th 2012, 4:31:18

hey man, we've talked golf before, add your 2 cents :p
-fudgepuppy
SancTuarY President
msn:

madjsp Game profile

May 7th 2012, 4:37:13

First off, he never mentioned what club he was hitting. A wedge should probably be a bit inside of the shoulders, and with an open stance. A driver will be outside the shoulders, and perhaps with a slightly closed stance.
-jonathan

Wharfed

May 7th 2012, 4:56:09

Actually, I am most consistent with distance and direction by hitting all shots and all clubs from the same spot, just behind my right foot. I am also a lefty, so I do everything from the wrong side of the ball. Obviously, I'm not the person to talk about stance.
>Wharfed

ABOYNE (vb.) To beat an expert at a game of skill by playing so appallingly bad that none of his clever tactics or strategies are of any use to him.

Wharfed

May 7th 2012, 5:01:23

I do everything wrong, and I still hit the ball a mile. Most of the time, where I want it to go.
>Wharfed

Corsair Game profile

May 7th 2012, 5:18:57

make sure your left foot isnt sliding open either and your keeping your knees locked

also power thru the follow thru, i always get lazy with that

ah bonus.

discharged Game profile

May 7th 2012, 7:43:07

hah, wharfed will dislocate his knee if he keeps his left foot from sliding during his swing!

And regarding weight I for one feel more comfortable having the weight distributed evenly over the entire feet. having a slice might aswell have to do with the grip on the stick, I've had problems with this and have just changed my grip to counter the slice. It is working as intended, but I have to think about it every time.

dustfp Game profile

May 7th 2012, 9:39:49

ah, u should pass me some tips then discharged
-fudgepuppy
SancTuarY President
msn:

Drow Game profile

May 7th 2012, 9:45:45

weight distribution is important. the better balanced and more evenly your weight is spread, the easier it all is all round. applies to basically any sport involving striking a ball pretty much

Paradigm President of failed speeling

madjsp Game profile

May 7th 2012, 12:34:40

If you are hitting a wedge, your weight should be more forward to allow for a steeper angle of attack.
-jonathan

Dibs Ludicrous Game profile

May 7th 2012, 12:47:15

hmmm, wonder if i can use this to make it easier to mount my 29" Nimbus Drak. might help having a golf club to help me with my balance. don't think the dog owners would like it much though.
There are no messages in your Inbox.
Elvis has left the building.

Wharfed

May 7th 2012, 19:40:48

Just don't get mad if a retaliation occurs.
>Wharfed

May 7th 2012, 19:45:30

would be a ROR. the dog has to enter public property to come get me.

Wharfed

May 7th 2012, 20:05:39

Well, then, you better take escalating retals in that case. It could lead to war ya know. Most dogs don't follow normal alliance policy. They are driven by rage, so don't piss them off too much.
>Wharfed

Azz Kikr Game profile

Wiki Mod

May 7th 2012, 20:30:44

Originally posted by Wharfed:
I do everything wrong, and I still hit the ball a mile. Most of the time, where I want it to go.

wharfed = happy gilmore!

Wharfed

May 7th 2012, 20:43:45

Sort of. I've been told by many golf instructors to swing easy. I tell them I am swinging easy, they don't believe me. Then again, I kind of operate at 2 speeds, fast and out of control.
>Wharfed

May 7th 2012, 20:50:31

Well, then, you better take escalating retals in that case. It could lead to war ya know. Most dogs don't follow normal alliance policy. They are driven by rage, so don't piss them off too much.

i'd rather just be able to ride away, but i saw that dogs do 16-31 mph when running. i can't go that fast, i'd have to get off and face them anyway. meh, a golf club would take away my coffee holder and then i wouldn't have anything to drink with my cigar.

discharged Game profile

May 7th 2012, 21:03:01

FP, it sounds like you might have a weak grip.

The more you can see of your knuckles on your top hand the weaker the grip. Also insufficient overlap with the lower palm of the top hand thumb may cause a slice. Different players use different grips. Tiger Woods is a good example of a strong grip and Ben Hogan is the classic example of a weak grip. basically a weak grip is used to counter a hook and a strong grip to counter a slice.

Naturally I grip the club in a weak grip, but around 20% of my shots were slices and I did not always close the head properly, making me hit the ball to the left (I am a leftie) The slices and the shots to the left has dissapeared when I use a strong grip instead.

Wharfed

May 7th 2012, 21:56:42

This I did not know discharged. This will help me immensely. I used to have a huge slice, and then a new Taylormade Burner helped that a lot. But I still do it from time to time. I'll pay attention to my grip.

Also, any word on how tight I hold the club? I seriously hold on to it with a death grip. That is also a partial side effect of how hard I swing.
>Wharfed

discharged Game profile

May 7th 2012, 22:42:48

Well, your not trying to squeeze the shaft out of the grip... If you do that it's too hard :) The grip should be firm but not exaggerated either. It will just make you tire in your lower arms from the tension and then as a result make mistakes on your swing. There are a few reasons why you might grip too hard.

1. most usual, you just think that the club will slip.

2. the grips are old and worn, replacing them will give you better grip.

3. the grips are too small or too big for your hand. Usually clubs are fitted with standard-size if you have small hands or in particular a short hand, from palm to fingertip you could try a lady club, their grips are usually thinner and it might be a better fit for you(if it is simply refit your current clubs with lady grips). Or in the other case there are also bigger grips to be found.

discharged Game profile

May 7th 2012, 22:44:16

are you using a glove btw? if you are, is it the right size for you? The glove is supposed to be extremely tight, or else you might have to squeeze harder just to make the glove stay in place during the swing.

Deerhunter Game profile

May 7th 2012, 22:49:20

A good stance is of great importance to a good golf swing. You are making an athletic motion when you swing a golf club, so it is vital that you are in an athletic position, ready to swing the club to the best of your ability.

Stand tall with your heels about shoulder width apart. Bend slightly from the top of your hips, keeping your back straight and letting your rear stick out. Let your arms hang down. Keep your chin up. Look at the ball with the bottom of your eyes as much as possible. Let your right side (for right-handed golfers) tilt slightly lower than the left. Keep your weight equal and slightly toward the forward part of both feet.

Now relax the knees slightly. This is key. Make sure that when you relax the knees you keep your rear sticking out. Avoid that sitting down position that makes it hard to shift your weight properly. A proper stance and posture means the right position for the most effective golf swing. Practice the proper stance in front of a mirror and memorize its feel.

The last time i golfed i tried to do it right handed (i am normally left handed) and i broke a mans Jaw. It was sick. My cousins dad was with us and they were all standing just a little in front of me and to the side behind a huge umbrella. His dad peeked his head above the umbrella to watch my swing. He paid for it. I was driving and hit it with all my might- only i sliced it like hell and hit him from a distance of 25 feet right in his Jaw. He dropped like a sack of potatoes and did the funky chicken (convulsions). I was scared to death i had just killed my cousins father but it only broke his jaw. He still has a huge lump (calcium deposit) where i hit him. I have not golfed right handed since.
Ya, tho i walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I shall fear no retals,
Cause i have the biggest, baddest, and toughest country in the valley!