Verified:

aponic Game profile

May 16th 2012, 23:24:39

People emulate those they see on television and low-character characters permeate the airwaves. Do you watch a lot of television? Do your children?

Discuss!
SOF
Cerevisi

Dibs Ludicrous Game profile

May 16th 2012, 23:28:54

Xena Warrior Princess!
There are no messages in your Inbox.
Elvis has left the building.

braden Game profile

May 16th 2012, 23:30:02

i do watch a lot of television, but out of curiosity who do you consider to be low character tv characters?

aponic Game profile

May 16th 2012, 23:32:44

Basically any reality TV personality, House, etc.
SOF
Cerevisi

Dibs Ludicrous Game profile

May 16th 2012, 23:35:22

meh. i'll open the front door and walk out if i really want to face reality. i'm scared that tube isn't strong enough to keep it out if i watch it on TV.
There are no messages in your Inbox.
Elvis has left the building.

braden Game profile

May 16th 2012, 23:45:23

outside of survivor and dancing with the stars i don't watch reality television, so i can't really comment. but the latter is good wholesome fun, however i can understand how survivor might be a bad influence (cheat, lie, anything to win)

de1i Game profile

May 16th 2012, 23:48:07

Donald Driver will win DWTS.

braden Game profile

May 16th 2012, 23:54:03

maria menounos will win dancing with the stars, and not only because she's prettier than donald driver, but because she's the better dancer and she has the better choreographer (the brother hough)

Junky Game profile

May 17th 2012, 0:02:59

I watch The Travel Channel, Comedy Central, and The Walking dead.. I try and skip the Reality stuff, unless its food related like Bizzare Foods, or No Reservations.
I Maybe Crazy... But atleast I'm crazy.

braden Game profile

May 17th 2012, 0:16:15

man vs food!

although i had to stop watching it. i don't eat red meat, and that show makes me want to eat red meat SO badly :P

kasana

May 17th 2012, 2:33:36

bonus
[/turtle]

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

May 17th 2012, 4:01:03

no. I split my time between talking to people/playing video games and find that I watch maybe 2-3 hours of tv shows per week now.

I saw man vs food.. crazy show.

you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

Wharfed

May 17th 2012, 12:06:42

I watch Modern Marvels and How it's Made and Top Gear and Sport Center. That's about it.
>Wharfed

ABOYNE (vb.) To beat an expert at a game of skill by playing so appallingly bad that none of his clever tactics or strategies are of any use to him.

Drow Game profile

May 17th 2012, 12:08:18

The STIG!
also Abby from NCIS. Her and Shirley Manson from Garbage are the two hottest 40 somethings I know ;)

Paradigm President of failed speeling

Marshal Game profile

May 17th 2012, 15:48:45

hard to believe that she's 40+ since she looks 25ish.

bit same thing with eva larue, she's 40+ but looks younger.
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

Hardy Game profile

May 17th 2012, 16:29:31

discovery , ww2 stuff

Wharfed

May 17th 2012, 16:35:51

Forgot about NCIS.

Pauley Perrette is 43. Kind of hard to believe.
>Wharfed

ABOYNE (vb.) To beat an expert at a game of skill by playing so appallingly bad that none of his clever tactics or strategies are of any use to him.

ZEN Game profile

EE Patron

May 17th 2012, 16:49:02

Animal Planet (anything in HD). River monsters, Python hunters, etc.

Walking Dead, Ghost Adventures, Auction Hunters (Ton Jones is BA), and I find myself watching The Big Bang Theory a lot more these days.

I do like Anthony Bourdain in both of his shows (The Layover & No Reservations). I do like Andrew Z. as well, but sometimes I can't watch more than one of his shows in a single sitting.

If I am drinking 40's with my homies, you best believe I watch me some cops. Yo.

SMz Game profile

May 17th 2012, 19:00:06

watch tons of TV , from sports to reality shows.

fav shows: Survivor , Lost , Sopranos , Boardwalk empire , heroes , Amazing race , weeds , eastbound and down , shameless , prison break and more ~_~

SMz Game profile

May 17th 2012, 19:01:41

oh how can I forget Entourage

Boltar Game profile

May 17th 2012, 21:56:46

if it aint the movie channels or NFL network.. i dont watch tv no more since charlie sheen left 2 n half men

Marshal Game profile

May 17th 2012, 21:59:46

last charlie sheen season of 2 and half man is in tv here (and also some older season on other channel), no news if kutcher's season has been bought.

Boltar Game profile

May 17th 2012, 22:03:35

kutchers season isnt worth buying..

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

May 17th 2012, 22:15:36

Discovery Channel is the best, imo.
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6VRMGTwU4I
-=TSO~DKnights~ICD~XI~LaF=-

S.F. Giants 2010, 2012, 2014 World Series Champions, fluff YEAH!

Eric171 Game profile

May 18th 2012, 0:52:04

2 and a half men with kutcher kind of sucks.

I try to watch: Fringe, Sanctuary and Supernatural.

TNTroXxor Game profile

May 18th 2012, 6:28:17

Jack Bauer > Chucky > All TV
Originally posted by JJ23:
i havent been deleted since last set

Marshal Game profile

May 18th 2012, 16:12:39

i should be surprised that zen likes ghost adventures but i'm not.

i think its total crap show and deserves its showing time (after ~1 am).

Twain Game profile

May 18th 2012, 16:25:58

This is a good media literacy type of discussion.

There's plenty of truth to what aponic brings up here, and plenty of information about there about it.

However, you need to see the larger trends. Just looking at one television show is meaningless. Think of media as a powerful tool that educates people despite the fact that it's intended primarily to entertain.

I brought up stats with my students that show that they have more hours in front of a TV or a computer screen than they do with any one of their teachers in a year. So the best teacher you remember from high school--imagine how much you learned from that teacher, and imagine the fact that you're often more engaged and spending more time watching TV, playing on the internet, watching movies, etc.

Most of the time, since the messages aren't as consistent, it's not necessarily a big deal, but there are some consistencies that could definitely be part of our psyche at this point.

But back to aponic's point, it's not necessarily that characters like House are low-character. It's that they fit the archetype of any number of types of antiheroes. It's an interesting thing to think about, because you could see these characters as low-character, or in some of these cases, you could see them as more nuanced characters. Past heroes that I study with my classes are far more absolute. Medieval knights are often seen as these almost entirely perfect characters, and their flaws lead to their problems, so there's no nuance there. Modern heroes can be flawed, and are often tortured in some ways by their flaws, but they're still successful, so it's easy to see these as examples of rewarding bad behavior, OR it's easy to look at this as a more nuanced, realistic view of the world. All our heroes can't be Superman.

You hit an area of interest for me, can you tell? :)

aponic Game profile

May 18th 2012, 16:57:21

I like what you bring to the discussion Twain. My basic point was that with so many anti-hero characters and, moreover, reality tv show characters, impressionable youths are encouraged to act in accordance with what they see. It is somewhat admired to be an ignorant ass. This isn't something new, I just think that the percentage of such people would be much lower without the influences of such characters on television.

Peter on Family Guy is very funny. From an psychological point of view he is a virtual psychopath with no lasting empathy for his family or friends. It isn't that people will suddenly act like Peter, but the idea that they will hold themselves less accountable for their shortcomings that bothers me.
SOF
Cerevisi

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

May 22nd 2012, 4:09:03

Giggity giggity goo!
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6VRMGTwU4I
-=TSO~DKnights~ICD~XI~LaF=-

S.F. Giants 2010, 2012, 2014 World Series Champions, fluff YEAH!