Verified:

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

May 18th 2012, 17:20:45

...Google Founders!

Facebook Inc. (FB)'s $16 billion initial public offering has made 28-year-old Mark Zuckerberg the 29th richest person on Earth.
Facebook, the world's most popular social networking company, sold 421.2 million shares for $38 each. At that price, the 503.6 million shares and options Zuckerberg owns are valued at $19.1 billion, making him wealthier than Google Inc. (GOOG) co- founders Sergey Brin and Larry Page, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index.

Read More: http://finance.yahoo.com/...erg-richer-040001139.html

Damn it must be nice to be zuckerberg! For real.

Mr.Silver

May 18th 2012, 17:32:27

whats the stock trading at? 99x earnings or something? I'm curious how it will do over the next bit.

ZIP Game profile

May 18th 2012, 17:48:43

fail don't get jipped !!

then the loser threw away his american citizenship to avoid paying taxes.
fluff your 300 Spartans fool - i have 32 of the biggest fluffed mother fluffers made of titanium !!
A brigade from Blackstreetboyz (#91) has invaded your lands! Your defenses held against the invaders and forced them away! Your military lost:1 Troops

Dibs Ludicrous Game profile

May 18th 2012, 17:58:26

LOL. you should've capitalized the z in his name. now i gotz the urge to call him Suckerberg. wonder how much he's going to spend on hookers and blow.
There are no messages in your Inbox.
Elvis has left the building.

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

May 18th 2012, 19:33:02

a stock is worth whatever people are willing to pay money for it. Once the capital is raised, the price of the shares is kind of irrelevant except if you own them.

I'm somewhat skeptical of how profitable something like facebook is going to be over the long run. I mean all you are doing is selling advertising (and probably marketing data).The advertising part.. I really wonder how effective it is. I mean most people block ads these days. The marketing/data analytics... not sure what this is worth for an online site over the long run... mind you Walmart owes a lot of its success to this type of thing.
you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

May 18th 2012, 19:37:32

imo google is somewhat different because people are going to google to look for stuff and the searches are hardly "neutral".

(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

May 18th 2012, 19:39:45

i read that GM was pulling their facebook ads because of a poll that demonstrated that people don't trust facebook enough to click on things. tried to retrieve the link from my facebook wall, but it seems to have facebook junk embedded into it now.

we are tracking you Dibs.

np, tell me which direction to face when i want to flip you off.

http://marketday.msnbc.msn.com/...rs-distrust-facebook?lite

oh, guess it just used the % thingie in place of the characters.

Edited By: Dibs Ludicrous on May 18th 2012, 19:44:47
See Original Post

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

May 18th 2012, 19:50:45

well it's a big jump, google at least doesn't need much personal information on me (just generic stats) whereas Facebook would have personal information.
Google: Oh you are in Toronto and your last 3 searches were on yaks. Lets send you some adds for yaks milk.

Facebook: You like yakkos yak farm, you are related to three people who like yaks, you live in yaksville and visit highly populated yak regions. Lets send you adds for yak milk, tourism, and tell the yak farmers of yorkville to yodle you with yakatori.

(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

trumper Game profile

May 18th 2012, 19:54:45

Wow, what a horrible IPO launch. They did find on the hype, but they let the street pummel the crap out of them in buildup with earnings bits.

Trading at $38.01 right now. They should be closing the day at 45-50 if they had executed it right.

INVINCIBLE IRONMAN Game profile

May 18th 2012, 20:30:40

Meh tough market to start in right now.
I did expect a better initial jump then a sell off.

locket Game profile

May 18th 2012, 20:45:47

This is a joke :P This price wont stay up that high for too too long. Just like those old internet companies being overvalued.. I guess people don't learn.

Pontius Pirate

EE Patron

May 18th 2012, 21:09:16

Originally posted by trumper:
Wow, what a horrible IPO launch. They did find on the hype, but they let the street pummel the crap out of them in buildup with earnings bits.

Trading at $38.01 right now. They should be closing the day at 45-50 if they had executed it right.
Err it would be trading at $38 if it had been done right. You don't want to leave any money on the table as the issuer, but the greenshoe balances the price.

I mean they could've priced the shares at $1 if they were going for "biggest first day price increase" but that's obviously not very beneficial for the people selling teh shares.
Originally posted by Cerberus:

This guy is destroying the U.S. Dollars position as the preferred exchange for international trade. The Chinese Ruan is going to replace it soon, then the U.S. will not have control of the IMF

Pontius Pirate

EE Patron

May 18th 2012, 21:10:09

Originally posted by locket:
This is a joke :P This price wont stay up that high for too too long. Just like those old internet companies being overvalued.. I guess people don't learn.
Gold's been pretty clearly in a "bubble" for like 5 years now, waiting for that one to come crashing down before the tech companies do.

This guy is destroying the U.S. Dollars position as the preferred exchange for international trade. The Chinese Ruan is going to replace it soon, then the U.S. will not have control of the IMF

dryfus Game profile

May 18th 2012, 21:37:50

Originally posted by Pontius Pirate:
Originally posted by trumper:

Err it would be trading at $38 if it had been done right. You don't want to leave any money on the table as the issuer, but the greenshoe balances the price.

I mean they could've priced the shares at $1 if they were going for "biggest first day price increase" but that's obviously not very beneficial for the people selling teh shares.

What PP say. you want to maximize return on the sold shares in IPO. but, the underwriters are buying back whenever it drop to around $38 to protect its first day. not really a good sign.

dryfus Game profile

May 18th 2012, 21:38:58

^also it serve good purpose to undervalue a little bit less than public theoretical value.. psychological effect on trader is much better that way

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

May 18th 2012, 21:41:22

Martian it must be doing good so far, I've read articles claiming that Facebook is worth 110 billion dollars. I think moble users are having an impact on their bottom line a bit, and GM pulled their ads off Facebook. But the fact remains like a billion people world wide use facebook and they can reach a lot of people. There's still money to be made there.

One thing with any tech kind of business is that they come and go rather quickly. I mean look how huge Yahoo was at one time... Now not so much. It is impressive at how big they are and how much money they bring in though. This guy is worth like 19b dollars.

I think it was reported that they made like 3.9billion in profits in 2011. That's impressive.

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

May 18th 2012, 21:43:03

Oh and BTW I didn't buy any!

Pontius Pirate

EE Patron

May 18th 2012, 21:45:24

Originally posted by dryfus:
^also it serve good purpose to undervalue a little bit less than public theoretical value.. psychological effect on trader is much better that way
On average IPOs should be underprice, but individual deals should not be underpriced (contradiction, I know). Though you have some academic literature saying you should underprice individual deals to gain positive momentum to sell the rest of your stake, these are generally not taken very seriously because markets are rational enough to understand this.

Unsympathetic Game profile

May 18th 2012, 21:49:52

I don't know anyone who has ever clicked on a FB ad. I will never click on a FB ad. I heard about the bizarre scheme they tried in NZ to see what would happen, and as anyone sane would expect, it failed miserably.

They tried a thing where you'd have to pay money to like or dislike someone's post. Dear Mark: I know something better than "pay to demote" and it's free - it's called "Stop using Facebook" =)

The IPO just represents, as usual, insiders cashing out. Apparently nobody learned from Digg or Pets.com.

Trumper, Facebook's revenue stream was the IPO.. their earnings ex-IPO will move inexorably towards zero.

I can't wait for the Pinterest IPO.. it will be the same nonsense.

Edited By: Unsympathetic on May 18th 2012, 21:51:56
See Original Post

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

May 18th 2012, 21:50:58

I guess the IPO was kind of a let down in a way because it never went up too much and at the close it was trading for only a little bit more than what it opened for.

It's going to be interesting to see how the stock goes as time goes on. If it does what google did and gets up to like 600 bucks there might be a lot of rich people around :p

May 18th 2012, 21:53:45

i thought it was that people could pay money to boost the post's priority of being viewed? oh, wait, i don't want to confuse aponic about my ability to actually read things.

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

May 18th 2012, 21:56:50

Um there was a deal where you could pay to highlight your post and make it show up on everyone's timeline or whatever its called. Because at it stands now if you don't interact with people your updates don't show up on their page or something like that. But if you pay to "highlight" it it will show up.

I don't use facebook so I don't really know how it works but that is the gist of what I think you're talking about dibs.

May 18th 2012, 22:01:19

Originally posted by Requiem:
I guess the IPO was kind of a let down in a way because it never went up too much and at the close it was trading for only a little bit more than what it opened for.

It's going to be interesting to see how the stock goes as time goes on. If it does what google did and gets up to like 600 bucks there might be a lot of rich people around :p

guess the people who invested in it when it was private got paid off early and now it'll tank because they're about to invent a better way to advertise. hmmm, wonder if there's any advertising in Diablo 3....

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

May 18th 2012, 22:03:44

That is also a possibility! If I were some of the people who has billions of dollars @38 bucks a share I'd start to sell that fluff off! I'll take a guaranteed billion thanks!

May 18th 2012, 22:07:16

Um there was a deal where you could pay to highlight your post and make it show up on everyone's timeline or whatever its called. Because at it stands now if you don't interact with people your updates don't show up on their page or something like that. But if you pay to "highlight" it it will show up.

I don't use facebook so I don't really know how it works but that is the gist of what I think you're talking about dibs.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-18033259

anything that the BBC posts about facebook tends to catch my notice.

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

May 18th 2012, 22:09:09

Yeah I like the BBC for the most part. That's basically what I was saying. I would never pay for that.

Marshal Game profile

May 18th 2012, 23:59:45

facepalm doesn't have much income so high chances that share price drops like cow's tail.
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

Atryn Game profile

May 19th 2012, 3:00:09

iNouda Game profile

May 19th 2012, 3:57:40

Facebook is seriously overvalued and the price will crash as soon as more people realize that. I'd put its value at at about 10% of that 100B valuation. First day teething problems for Facebook on Nasdaq:

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/...rred-by-trading-glitches/

I spend a lot more time on Facebook than I do with Google's products excluding gmail but I have yet to click on a single facebook ad compared with numerous google ads that piqued my interest. It might be the most popular social network atm, but so was Friendster and Myspace not too long ago.

hawkeyee Game profile

May 19th 2012, 4:05:30

The problem with Facebook is that it has nothing to invest in. Most IPOs raise capital which is pumped back into the company to increase production, to expand, to improve R&D etc. Facebook produces no merchandise. Its expansion has come to a virtual halt. It's R&D is very limited. What does Facebook need this money for? It won't be long until people realize that Facebook aint growing. <$20 by January is my prediction.
Minister
The Omega
Omega Retal Policy/Contacts: http://tinyurl.com/owpvakm (Earth Wiki)
Apply: http://tinyurl.com/mydc8by (Boxcar)

iNouda Game profile

May 19th 2012, 4:40:37

That bubble's gonna burst, and it's gonna fluff up a lot of people's livelihoods. It has nothing to sell. It produces NOTHING. Its inventory is people's data, that they're using to sell "personalized" ads to people...which still can't possibly compete with Google, who btw is innovating and financing new projects in an attempt to diversify their revenue streams.

If people stop logging into facebook and move to a new, more trendy upstart social network then they're fluffed. As soon as the masses can find a better alternative they will move on. Google+ however, won't be the one to do it. That thing sucks ass.

Apple is worth 5x the valuation of FB. Microsoft is worth 2.5 FBs. They both make real products that people buy and as a result employ thousands of people across the world (China mostly but yeah). Apple has 100B in cash and makes tens of billions in profit per year and yet they expect us to believe that FB is worth 1/5th the market value of Apple while selling nothing but ads and that inane gaming currency that barely anyone uses? At their peak, FB barely even made $1B in profit for an entire year (2011). Apple and Microsoft made 5-6x that in a single Quarter.

Source on the value of tech companies: http://www.businessinsider.com/...ow-worth-more-than-2012-5

Edited By: iNouda on May 19th 2012, 4:58:08
See Original Post

d20 Game profile

May 19th 2012, 11:55:27

bonusssss

Pain Game profile

May 19th 2012, 12:35:55

are people THAT desperate for attention that they pay so people can read the retarded fluff they post? this is why i deactivated my facebook account and havent looked back.
Your mother is a nice woman

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

May 19th 2012, 12:58:15

Originally posted by Pain:

are people THAT desperate for attention that they pay so people can read the retarded fluff they post? this is why i deactivated my facebook account and havent looked back.

Haha same here... I got tired of the BS updates. I realized why I don't keep in contact with some people... The worse offender was my sister-in-law who would post about selling her Avocare products every 30 god damn minutes. If someone tries to sell me anything Avocare I'll punch them in the face!

Marshal Game profile

May 19th 2012, 14:49:08

hey req, want to buy some avocare-products? :P

INVINCIBLE IRONMAN Game profile

May 21st 2012, 9:20:26

It is simple really they have 900 million users if they can figure how to monetize that they will be HUGE.
If they can not it will be dead as a DOORNAIL!!

Alin Game profile

May 21st 2012, 9:42:59

Don`t know if other do sale through facebook.com but i didn`t.

Apart from others, i am involved into tourism business. Facebook.com is not even close to booking.com or other travel sites. Actually i never got 1 client from facebook in 2 years - only a lot of questions. For 5-6 months i have stoped advertising through facebook - because i loose time for nothing.

Angel1 Game profile

May 21st 2012, 10:44:33

Facebook is going to come crashing down. Way overpriced for way too little real value. Completely expected that Facebook is struggling to stay around $38/share. I expect it will fall today, and if not today then the next day or next after that.
-Angel1

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

May 21st 2012, 13:53:58

<3 Marshal

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

May 21st 2012, 13:55:06

It's at 33.15 (down 4.85) as of this post.

http://data.cnbc.com/quotes/fb

May 21st 2012, 14:02:20

hmmm, maybe i should go take some more screenshots of my Backyard Monsters yard. might not be able to get to it soon, and it is my "Virtual Shrine To My Dead Kitty Cats". maybe i should think about getting a real backyard so i can bury them.

trainboy Game profile

May 22nd 2012, 20:25:00

i tried to short it but couldnt :( i thought as a CFD it would be possible rather than a stock
but yeh its crashing for all the reasons people have said
it has no assets but a userbase who will come and go as they see fit and i would also never click a fb add

May 22nd 2012, 20:28:40

closed at 31 today? well, least Bono became a billionaire.

Marshal Game profile

May 23rd 2012, 17:25:10

31.36 lowest but rose to 31.78

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

May 23rd 2012, 17:26:16

Falling like a rock!

NukEvil Game profile

May 23rd 2012, 18:20:28

Heh...my family begged me to start a facebook account, so I started one...9 months ago. 3 months after that, I got bored and stopped logging into facebook. Now, I can't remember my password.
I am a troll. Everything I say must be assumed to be said solely to provoke an exaggerated reaction to the current topic. I fully intend to bring absolutely no substance to any discussion, ongoing or otherwise. Conversing with me is pointless.

Marshal Game profile

May 23rd 2012, 19:34:21

some economist/whatever said facepalm's stock's price should be 9.95 usd.

May 23rd 2012, 20:19:01

hmmm, wonder what would happen if the IRS was a publicly traded company. they're basically just a collection agency. hmm...

fazer Game profile

May 23rd 2012, 21:17:57

Did anyone actually buy stock?
- -

Fazer - MGP

"if somethings not fun, why do it?"

http://www.boxcarhosting.com/...pplication.php?clanID=MGP

trainboy Game profile

May 23rd 2012, 22:43:19

ive traded it a few times nice volatile stock made a couple of quid lost a couple it trades a range of at least 200 points giving ideal opportunity to buy low and sell high just got to be careful at its always a lower low on the way and like said cant short it otherwise i would be a couple of thousand dollars richer in a 3 days
which would have been a good start to the week