Verified:

Dragon Game profile

Jun 3rd 2012, 23:00:22

No, I don't mean can you get 5 gold stars on Rock Band or Guitar Hero, I mean are there any playas in the house?

I got my first guitar when I was like, 11. Never took any lessons and played on and off (more off than on) till I was in my mid 30's.

My then fiancee (now my wife) bought me a White Fender Strat (like Jimi Hendrix's Strat only right handed) and a little practice amp for my 35th birthday.

I started playing more. Studied a little with a couple local instructors (and friends of mine), learned some songs and started going to open mic nights around town.

I wouldn't call myself a professional musician, but I was in a band ad we did get paid for gigs we did. That was the coolest thing ever. I think every kid at one point or another wants to grow up and play in a rock and roll band. I know I did and it was beyond cool to live a dream.

I have 5 guitars. My Strat, a Fender 12 string acoustic/electric (Christmas present from my wife), a 6 string Ibanez acoustic, a Fender bass (Christmas preset from my wife), and my pride and joy.... A 1997 PRS McCarty deep red flametop with a polished nickel bridge and pickup covers. Hand built and numbered.

I play thru a Line6 Spyder amp, have a Line6 Pod2 effects box, a Crybaby wah pedal and a ton of other toys, cords, mikes, etc..

Maybe one day, I'll own a Marshall Stack. It's really the only thing I wish I had that I don't have.

I try to play a little every day. I actually put my guitars away for a few years after my band broke up back in 2002. After all this time, I', looking to get back into the local music scene and collaborate with a couple friends on some stuff.

I haven't started writing new songs yet, but once I pick up a MIDI interface, I have software on y PC where I can lay down and edit tracks.

I play mostly classic rock and heavy stuff like Alice In Chains and the Blues.

SO what about the rest of you?

Rockman Game profile

Jun 4th 2012, 1:05:58

I have a Schecter 7 string, but I primarily play a Carvin 7 string. It's got a mahogany body, a maple neck through body, and a clear finish.

I keep both my guitars with very low action, and I play a hybrid jazz/classical style. I have a Zoom 505 pedal still, but I never really use it. I just play with a guitar and amp, with no pedals. My amplifier is a Roland JC-90, which has a horrible distortion channel, but its clean jazz sound, and its reverb and chorus are all very good.

I tune my guitars in straight fourths, similar to Stanley Jordan, with the exception that unlike him, my guitars are 7 strings with extra range on bottom. I play probably about twice a week now. I used to play much more often, and then I fell off to once every month or two, but about a year and a half ago I started playing more often again. I do a lot of improvisation, but I also learn classical pieces that were written for instruments other than guitar, like some of Arvo Part's chamber music, or Paganini's caprices for violin.

Havoc Game profile

Jun 4th 2012, 1:10:11

Damn, jealous of that 7 string.. A lot of the proggy metal I listen to uses 7 strings to get interesting low tones (djent if you've heard of it). I started playing bass about 8 months ago, borrowing my roommate's white fender strat body 4 string, it's not too shabby. And I mess around on my dad's old acoustic. I'm interested in making some instrumental/post-rock type songs mixed with some piano and electronics.
Havoc
Unholy Monks | The Omega

Azz Kikr Game profile

Wiki Mod

Jun 4th 2012, 1:11:00

i've played guitar for years. very poorly. for years. :)

Twain Game profile

Jun 4th 2012, 1:12:42

I have a Fender Super Strat that I bought with money I received at my high school graduation and I have a Martin acoustic. I haven't owned an amp for probably 10 years though, so the Fender rarely gets much play time, but it's a beautiful instrument and there's just some level of sentimentality to it.

I wouldn't consider myself a "shredder," but mostly because of the styles I tend to play. I like a lot of bluesy type stuff for playing, and I also like a lot of acoustic rock/folk type stuff. I occasionally try to learn a new CCR song or a Dave Matthews song.

I started taking lessons when I was 15, so as I'm 31 now, I've been playing for awhile. It's not something I dedicate a lot of time to though, so I probably haven't really grown as a guitar player the last 5-6 years at least.

NightShade

Jun 4th 2012, 1:25:16

First and only guitar before it was stolen was an abused VMI/Sebring Blade 1, which was an imitation Fender Strat. Put some D'Addario strings, Fender pickups, new Wammy bar, by the time I had finished with repairs it might as well have been the next best thing to a Fender Stratocaster. Played it like one, until it got stolen in 2005, and never really had the cash to sink into getting another.

Used to play a lot of rock tunes from the 1980s and early 1990s, ad-libbed some things. Kinda wanna do it again tho. :)
SOTA • GNV
SOTA President
http://sota.ghqnet.com

a.k.a. Stryke
Originally posted by Bsnake:
I was sitting there wondering how many I could kill with one set of chopsticks

MUFASA JACKSON Game profile

Jun 4th 2012, 18:14:22

I write for a good friend guitarist. We chill, mainly funkin' around, and come up with some good fluff ! (All rock ; ) I am more a "CREATOR", I write, draw, paint, sculpt, build and create .
I do play a mean MP3 tho !
-----MUFASA

"I see with strobelight vision and I'm alwaze in a panic! My only skill is murder and I'm stuck on Automatic!"

MUFASA JACKSON Game profile

Jun 4th 2012, 18:16:32

Hey .... has there ever been a complete internet band ? You guys could team up, work some fluff and hold internet concerts from your homes !

Hmmmmmmmmm..?
-----MUFASA

"I see with strobelight vision and I'm alwaze in a panic! My only skill is murder and I'm stuck on Automatic!"

gambit Game profile

Jun 4th 2012, 18:46:40

i fight the ninja turtles sometimes
Natural Born Killer

Bigwiggle Game profile

Jun 4th 2012, 18:58:26

Count me in for the internet band .. I recently bought my first electronic drum kit for apartment use. Roland TD-9KX2-G V-Series. Things are amazing if anyone ever gets a chance to play one.
Wiggity

Pandora's Last Vikings | THE OMEGA

msn -

Dragon Game profile

Jun 4th 2012, 20:08:45

Originally posted by MUFASA JACKSON:
Hey .... has there ever been a complete internet band ? You guys could team up, work some fluff and hold internet concerts from your homes !

Hmmmmmmmmm..?

Actually, as long as each person has some kind of audio editing software, several people could collaborate from multiple locations by emailing files with their respective parts to one person for compilation so long as the formats are compatible.

Me and my old band were talking about doing just that, but they don't have the stuff to do it. Another way to do it would be to burn a recorded track onto a CD in mp3 format and send it to a common location.

As far as live performances from multiple locations, I'm sure it's possible but I'm not sure how cheaply it can be done. LOL

If any of you guys are really interested, I'm in. :)

Edited By: Dragon on Jun 4th 2012, 20:11:45
See Original Post

Dragon Game profile

Jun 4th 2012, 20:09:45

Originally posted by Rockman:
I have a Schecter 7 string, but I primarily play a Carvin 7 string. It's got a mahogany body, a maple neck through body, and a clear finish.

I keep both my guitars with very low action, and I play a hybrid jazz/classical style. I have a Zoom 505 pedal still, but I never really use it. I just play with a guitar and amp, with no pedals. My amplifier is a Roland JC-90, which has a horrible distortion channel, but its clean jazz sound, and its reverb and chorus are all very good.

I tune my guitars in straight fourths, similar to Stanley Jordan, with the exception that unlike him, my guitars are 7 strings with extra range on bottom. I play probably about twice a week now. I used to play much more often, and then I fell off to once every month or two, but about a year and a half ago I started playing more often again. I do a lot of improvisation, but I also learn classical pieces that were written for instruments other than guitar, like some of Arvo Part's chamber music, or Paganini's caprices for violin.

Good stuff, man. Beyond my current skill set but good stuff.

Dibs Ludicrous Game profile

Jun 4th 2012, 20:16:14

i rode my unicycle in the rain today, does that count as shredding?
There are no messages in your Inbox.
Elvis has left the building.

Dragon Game profile

Jun 4th 2012, 20:17:12

Originally posted by Dibs Ludicrous:

No, but the good news is that it counts towards your nomination for a Darwin Award. Congrats!

Jun 4th 2012, 20:49:16

Originally posted by Dragon:

No, but the good news is that it counts towards your nomination for a Darwin Award. Congrats!

pfft. i'z getting a bit too old to be eligible to receive a Darwin Award.

Dragon Game profile

Jun 4th 2012, 20:52:35

That's the beauty of Darwin Awards. Just cause a guy is lucky to live a long time doesn't mean he's ever out of the running!

You play an instrument? Sing? Have at least some small talent that's not obvious from what you post?

We could send you one of those Egg Shaker things and you could lay down a percussion track maybe. Almost any idiot can use one. You'll be awesome!

Edited By: Dragon on Jun 4th 2012, 20:55:26
See Original Post

Jun 4th 2012, 21:10:08

what's Luck got to do with it? hmmm, yah, i might be able to do percussion, but for some reason "shredding" seems to be linked to X Games type stuff. i'll mosey along now little doggie.

Dragon Game profile

Jun 4th 2012, 21:14:58

Probably a good thing to move along, Dibs. Because if you were a contemporary musician, you would understand the application of the word "shred" as applied to modern rock music.

If we get something put together, I'll let you know. You could do some percussion. Hell. I can train my cat to do percussion.

Havoc Game profile

Jun 4th 2012, 22:07:41

There's been several successful bands which began online I believe..:)
Havoc
Unholy Monks | The Omega

Link Game profile

Jun 8th 2012, 14:18:10

i taught myself a few things.. nothing ever came of it..

the old esp ltd explorer just collects dust now :(
Link.

I Am a meat popsicle.

Elders
ICN
NBK
PanLV
SALT
MaK
Valks
CwG

Sifos Game profile

Jun 8th 2012, 16:18:53

Got a Kramer Baretta, a Yamaha Amp and a Vamp (first model). Wouldn't say I'm a shredder though, it's all down in the storage area :P
Imaginary Numbers
If you're important enough to contact me, you will know how to contact me.
Self appointed emperor of the Order of Bunnies.
The only way to be certain your allies will not betray you is to kill them all!

QM Diver Game profile

Jun 8th 2012, 21:11:27

Originally posted by Dragon:

ROTGLMFAO

Natural Born Killers
PreZ

QM Diver Game profile

Jun 8th 2012, 22:01:54

Originally posted by Bigwiggle:
Count me in for the internet band .. I recently bought my first electronic drum kit for apartment use. Roland TD-9KX2-G V-Series. Things are amazing if anyone ever gets a chance to play one.

You must be doing well, BigWiggle! Good on ya! I'd love to have a drum set up like that.. But if I spent $2600.00 I'm sure I'd wake up missing my left nut... or worse!..

I played drums for about 12 years professionally. Our band was called '2nd Time Around'. We played our versions of many songs in San Diego county. Our brand of music and performances were called "Concert Rock". At many clubs civilian, and for the base club systems. And tons of parties, from the mid 70's through the 80's.. (The parties were the most fun) Having to manage a band takes more than half the fun out of it. :O(

After 2 of my guys went to LA to work as studio musicians, I've jammed with other bands, Borderline and The Bashers. Cover bands but they were fun to jam with too.

I had to learn guitar to be able to communicate with the guitar players when we were creating. I have a blue Fender strat and a Yamaha accoustic/electric. I run them through a Rolond DC-30 Chorus/Echo unit, into a Gallien Krueger amp. Sounds sweet, at times. Need the DC-30 for voice.. Also learned flute, to play tunes by Jethro Tull. Ian Anderson was my mentor. They still play, though Ian's voice is nearly shot! My voice still does his tunes well, as does a few others. We've played originals too. Great fun when the audiences stood applauding and later asked for autographs. :O) Haven't signed any of those for an awfull long time. ;o)

I still have and play my drums. They are called "Fibes". Fibes was a spin off from Martin Guitars.. I bought them in 1974. Drum Works double kick and remote high hat. I run 2 high hats, the second is played on Tamma hardware.. The other Stands are Tamma, with nothing but Zildjian cymbals. (I'd gone through other brands of about everything. lol (DW and Tamma are the best hardware out there) 5 of those and 2 sox set ups, totals 9 cymbals and tons of money, to finally get a set up that is nearly in destructable.

Since the good old days we've played on Saturday nights in the garage, known as "Amateur Hour". My pals come by, and we jam.. Not so much anymore though.. At times it sounds great! Other times, it's SO bad the cops come, to shut our sorry asses down! LMAO

I'd love to have an electronic kit, Someday...

It would be great to jam with y'all! That is, if we all had the know how and software to make it possible. Recording has always been a fluff, imo.. To have a tune or 2 recorded to say we've done it, I'd be willing to obtain the software needed if others would, also?..

Hey Gambit, speaking of the 80's.... Wasn't Shredder a rat? No wait, he was the bad guy.. Splinter was the rat.. Love them TMNT's.. Cowabunga!! mmm pizza!

Edited By: QM Diver on Jun 8th 2012, 22:08:23
See Original Post
Natural Born Killers
PreZ

Bigwiggle Game profile

Jun 9th 2012, 16:02:50

Originally posted by QM Diver:

You must be doing well, BigWiggle! Good on ya! I'd love to have a drum set up like that.. But if I spent $2600.00 I'm sure I'd wake up missing my left nut... or worse!..

I played drums for about 12 years professionally. Our band was called '2nd Time Around'. We played our versions of many songs in San Diego county. Our brand of music and performances were called "Concert Rock". At many clubs civilian, and for the base club systems. And tons of parties, from the mid 70's through the 80's.. (The parties were the most fun) Having to manage a band takes more than half the fun out of it. :O(

After 2 of my guys went to LA to work as studio musicians, I've jammed with other bands, Borderline and The Bashers. Cover bands but they were fun to jam with too.

I had to learn guitar to be able to communicate with the guitar players when we were creating. I have a blue Fender strat and a Yamaha accoustic/electric. I run them through a Rolond DC-30 Chorus/Echo unit, into a Gallien Krueger amp. Sounds sweet, at times. Need the DC-30 for voice.. Also learned flute, to play tunes by Jethro Tull. Ian Anderson was my mentor. They still play, though Ian's voice is nearly shot! My voice still does his tunes well, as does a few others. We've played originals too. Great fun when the audiences stood applauding and later asked for autographs. :O) Haven't signed any of those for an awfull long time. ;o)

I still have and play my drums. They are called "Fibes". Fibes was a spin off from Martin Guitars.. I bought them in 1974. Drum Works double kick and remote high hat. I run 2 high hats, the second is played on Tamma hardware.. The other Stands are Tamma, with nothing but Zildjian cymbals. (I'd gone through other brands of about everything. lol (DW and Tamma are the best hardware out there) 5 of those and 2 sox set ups, totals 9 cymbals and tons of money, to finally get a set up that is nearly in destructable.

Since the good old days we've played on Saturday nights in the garage, known as "Amateur Hour". My pals come by, and we jam.. Not so much anymore though.. At times it sounds great! Other times, it's SO bad the cops come, to shut our sorry asses down! LMAO

I'd love to have an electronic kit, Someday...

It would be great to jam with y'all! That is, if we all had the know how and software to make it possible. Recording has always been a fluff, imo.. To have a tune or 2 recorded to say we've done it, I'd be willing to obtain the software needed if others would, also?..

Hey Gambit, speaking of the 80's.... Wasn't Shredder a rat? No wait, he was the bad guy.. Splinter was the rat.. Love them TMNT's.. Cowabunga!! mmm pizza!

Now that's the life. Yeah this kit cost me, but I had to have it. Can't play acoustic on the bottom level apartments. And the electronic set is totally worth it.. I actually jam over skype with my guitarist from college and he can mix everything on his end.

I know enough about guitar to communicate with my band mates but can't play for fluff
Wiggity

msn -

Bigwiggle Game profile

Jun 9th 2012, 16:03:48

Also QM any set with > 6 cymbals has to be fun to play
Wiggity

msn -

QM Diver Game profile

Jun 9th 2012, 18:33:27

Also QM any set with > 6 cymbals has to be fun to play

Yes, it's great fun to play.. The only problem I'm faced with now, is the destruction of the hearing I have from playin', shootin guns and running heavy equipment.. I can't hear the harmonics as well as before. I'm not sure how much is lost... Cymbals are another instrument, imo.

I want your setup! BADLY!

Is there anything that could be similar to your kit, without giving up too much? I assume you have to have a mixer? Is that included in your Roland? Do you have to buy an amp separately, or will it plug in to the PA, and need only monitors? I'm wondering if headphones are the answer for all these questions..

guitar to communicate with my band mates but can't play for fluff...
I can relate. I've been accused of "Beating" on mine.. (it's true though, I do hit those strings pretty hard) I might get away with playing rhythm guitar, but only in a pinch and I'm turned way down.. lol

I actually jam over skype with my guitarist from college and he can mix everything on his end.
This sounds like a killer time! :O) You jam in real time, eh? I think that would be the toughest part, to sync more than 2 instruments.. But then, I hear there's software that easily does this for you.. I bought Pro Audio, at one point, for over $250.00, but it was WAY beyond my sophistication level. We did very little recording.. A few times on a Teac 4 track cassette recorder during a few jobs, but none of us owned the damn thing. I'd like to know what your pal is using to record.

You still have your old kit, in a closet or somewhere? I've jammed on something at Guitar Center similar to your set up.. They had to kick me off of it, if I recall. Some bullfluff about how a guy can't sit there and jam all day... ;o)

Yes, I'm envious...

Edited By: QM Diver on Jun 9th 2012, 18:37:32
See Original Post
Natural Born Killers
PreZ

pollex

Jun 10th 2012, 2:28:37

nope, i don't play
FFA- TKO President
Alliance - EVO member

Maxipad09 Game profile

Jun 11th 2012, 15:11:51

Wish I knew how to play I had a cheapo a while back but tried the self-taught lessons and failed horribly!

My step brother however is currently in a band that just put together their first music video and is working with a label to put a CD together. Not my kind of music but the band Kris plays for is Death before Dying. I believe that is their name!
Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.
~ Edmund Burke

rlxdntdt Game profile

Jun 11th 2012, 17:34:36

dragon all those those cruise misseles fired at yourself for chems, and then what?! LOL

Dragon Game profile

Jun 11th 2012, 18:50:02

Originally posted by rlxdntdt:
dragon all those those cruise misseles fired at yourself for chems, and then what?! LOL

LMAO!!!!!!!

WTF are you talking about dude? This is a thread about Teh Shred. Not Teh Whistle 4 Teh Missile.