Verified:

blid

EE Patron

Oct 19th 2012, 23:40:39

These are just dumb. Would anyone miss them if they were removed?

Here's what happened to me today:

An earthquake occurred destroying 1269 buildings!

That will cost over $300m to rebuild. That's easily a full 1m networth off my final score. Really, I'm losing 1m networth to a random event! Should I finish with a score of 100m, that means a *random event* just knocked out 1% of my final score. Does that make sense?
Originally posted by Mr. Titanium:
Watch your mouth boy, I have never been accused of cheating on any server nor deleted before you just did right there.

OneMansArmy Game profile

Oct 20th 2012, 0:20:47

All I know, is I have had way to many earthquakes this reset.. XD
Other than Earth Empires I also play Battlefield games:
http://www.youtube.com/user/UneManArmy/featured

blid

EE Patron

Oct 20th 2012, 0:45:15

pain in the ass, right? as far as i can tell that's why they exist, to be a pain in the ass, lol.
Watch your mouth boy, I have never been accused of cheating on any server nor deleted before you just did right there.

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Oct 20th 2012, 0:58:32

why do any of the random events exist?

probably to add randomness, i dunno
Finally did the signature thing.

blid

EE Patron

Oct 20th 2012, 1:19:32

Well, none of the other stuff can cost you 1% of your final score. Earthquake takes it to unheard of levels. Is there really a need for it to destroy such a higher percentage of buildings as you get bigger, considering that building cost is ALSO escalating exponentially? Ouch. Also, a drought or strike or whatever also has a countermeasure, the boom. No such luck with earthquake.

blid

EE Patron

Oct 20th 2012, 1:22:10

earthquakes are just mean!

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Oct 20th 2012, 4:47:49

Originally posted by blid:
...to destroy such a higher percentage of buildings as you get bigger...

It destroys the same percentage (within a window) regardless of size.

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 20th 2012, 5:35:57

I've had 2 in 3 turn span, wtf!
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6VRMGTwU4I
-=TSO~DKnights~ICD~XI~LaF=-

S.F. Giants 2010, 2012, 2014 World Series Champions, fluff YEAH!

bstrong86 Game profile

Oct 20th 2012, 12:07:24

ive seen more this set overall then i have the past 2-3 sets
The Death Knights

XI

blid

EE Patron

Oct 20th 2012, 12:59:14

Originally posted by qzjul:
Originally posted by blid:
...to destroy such a higher percentage of buildings as you get bigger...

It destroys the same percentage (within a window) regardless of size.
oops, I probably meant "a higher amount" not percentage. but yeah. they just a pain!

Xinhuan Game profile

Oct 20th 2012, 13:45:40

While random events add "variety" to the game, it currently doesn't really serve any purpose other than to annoy the player - you could get "lucky" and get one or two extra earthquakes and finish lower than someone else as a result.

In game design terms, it doesn't contribute to gameplay, and is more of a hindrance than help, and should be removed.

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 21st 2012, 7:16:13

I bet if you run a survey, 9 of 10 peeps will vote for elimination of earthquakes ;)
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)

UBer Bu Game profile

Oct 21st 2012, 13:05:02

What's the point of RNG at all? Why have a raid boss drop crappy stuff when it's only the good stuff people care about? Why have fluffty letters in Scrabble? (OK maybe that one wasn't as good of an analogy but you see my point)
-take off every sig.

crest23 Game profile

Oct 21st 2012, 13:11:49

I like the earthquakes. Ok, more like I like the concept of random events. And KoH, I'll be the 1 in 10.
The Nigerian Nightmare.

oldman Game profile

Oct 21st 2012, 13:15:38

An earthquake occurred destroying 1000 buildings!

this is painful =(

Marshal Game profile

Oct 21st 2012, 18:55:48

i just lost 138 buildings in 3 earthquakes and 1 of those were cs.

haven't had eqs much past sets so kinda expected.
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

Xinhuan Game profile

Oct 22nd 2012, 8:00:29

I think another problem isn't really with the randomness of the events, but more with the disproportionate damage that can be done.

The 4 booms: +2 turns of production for the type.
The 4 droughts: -0.5 turns of production for the type.
Earthquakes: Anywhere between maybe 3-15 turns lost to rebuild acres, turns that could otherwise be used to grow the country, plus another maybe 10 turns of income lost in money used to rebuild the buildings.

Earthquakes are at the moment way too destructive relative to the other random events.

In fact, I think on Primary server right now, some of the top 10 finishes are so close this reset that the number of earthquakes each player gets (between now and end of set) will be the determining factor between adjacent ranks. Oldman's 1000 buildings gone in the above probably cost him 3m NW finish, that's maybe 10-15 turns he could not have cashed, and it is worst for techers.

Players like to have control over their country, and thus any success or failure is purely due to their own skill. Random events really do not belong.

VivaNick Game profile

Oct 22nd 2012, 14:21:05

I wonder EE should add in TSUNAMI, VOLCANO, FLOOD & etc?

Azz Kikr Game profile

Wiki Mod

Oct 22nd 2012, 19:53:28

if they bring in tsunamis, then i want aircraft carriers. it's only fair :P

NukEvil Game profile

Oct 22nd 2012, 20:20:37

An earthquake occurred destroying all of your buildings! Your country has sank into the nearest ocean! Your civilians are all manatees and fish!

Your forces invaded HumPmyNutz (#273)! Unfortunately, they hit an Invisible Block(TM) and died!
I am a troll. Everything I say must be assumed to be said solely to provoke an exaggerated reaction to the current topic. I fully intend to bring absolutely no substance to any discussion, ongoing or otherwise. Conversing with me is pointless.

braden Game profile

Oct 22nd 2012, 22:26:03

i will trade tsunamis for air craft carriers any day, azz!

Tin Man

Oct 23rd 2012, 4:31:59

Mexican Immigrants invade your country, you gain 1 BPT permanently!

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 23rd 2012, 7:50:17

Originally posted by Tin Man:

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
+100
(•_•)

Bee Game profile

Oct 23rd 2012, 16:24:14

Originally posted by Tin Man:

loll cost of bldgs are reduced by 50%

NukEvil Game profile

Oct 23rd 2012, 19:34:59

Yeah, but the loss of buildings during earthquakes increases by 100%...
I am a troll. Everything I say must be assumed to be said solely to provoke an exaggerated reaction to the current topic. I fully intend to bring absolutely no substance to any discussion, ongoing or otherwise. Conversing with me is pointless.

blid

EE Patron

Oct 30th 2012, 1:52:55

Seems to be a lot of support over on primary to scrap earthquakes :] Don't expect it to happen, just sayin'

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Oct 31st 2012, 0:11:21

I wouldn't be against evening out the relative effect of random events necessarily.

I guess the question is whether this game should be entirely calculable or if some randomness (and dealing with it!) is a good thing...

blid

EE Patron

Oct 31st 2012, 0:16:36

I think people don't mind the random events or how often they hit when it's booms or busts, but it's just that earthquakes can be excessively costly for big countries, to the point where they may very well impact people's final rankings. A 70k acre country losing 1200 buildings needs to spend over $300m to rebuild that which is worth over 1m networth. Cashers and techers miss out on cashing and teching while rebuilding as well. And if you have multiple earthquakes you're talking multiple millions off your final score.

AndrewMose Game profile

Oct 31st 2012, 3:08:52

I think that over the course of an entire set everyone will likely get the same amount of earthquake damage. I hate earthquakes, but from a competitive perspective it can be a differentiater.

Should you build more construction sites early on to account for rebuilding a percentage of your land? Should you rebuild or destroy the land or keep it unused? These unplanned decisions can add a tiny bit of seperation that may make the difference between two players.

However I don't know what the distribution is, if it is possible for two players of the same size to have 1,000 acres of destroyed building difference in a set, that is too much.

blid

EE Patron

Oct 31st 2012, 3:10:15

When you get big they kill at least 1000 buildings every time. So if someone has one earthquake more, that's greater than a 1000 acre difference. And if they have two more (which is not at all unlikely) then even worse.

oldman Game profile

Oct 31st 2012, 14:38:47

interesting thing about earthquake is that I actually had an earthquake in alliance a few days ago which took out 2 buildings on my 20k country. There must be a random multiplier somewhere in the equation.

Marshal Game profile

Oct 31st 2012, 17:28:45

its random, it can destroy 1 or 1000 buildings.

Atryn Game profile

Nov 1st 2012, 12:03:33

I always saw earthquakes as a deterrent to botting and batching.

Weren't they originally put in the game to punish scripters/botters and to encourage building diversity? The latter was later removed when everyone just had 1 of each building type.

I seem to recall it being a bot/script thing WAY back in the day.

Atryn Game profile

Nov 1st 2012, 12:03:51

(before captchas)

oldman Game profile

Nov 1st 2012, 14:01:13

haha this is messed up. I ran 100 turns in alliance and I had 3 earthquakes. What are the odds?

Marshal Game profile

Nov 1st 2012, 18:54:02

same as usual.

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Nov 4th 2012, 4:05:55

Players who whine on the forums get extra earthquakes in their countries.

Rockman Game profile

Nov 4th 2012, 4:10:00

Originally posted by Slagpit:

That is not true. I get less earthquakes than most people. And I whine more than most people.

crest23 Game profile

Nov 4th 2012, 13:46:36

I get less earthquakes than anyone in the game and I am actually a proponent for it.
The Nigerian Nightmare.

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 4th 2012, 16:43:16

Originally posted by Rockman:
Originally posted by Slagpit:

That is not true. I get less earthquakes than most people. And I whine more than most people.

While you think that is the case you are not actually whining. You are pointing out logical flaws within the game != whining. Therefore you do not actually whine more than most people, you only think you do. It's an illusion.

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 9th 2012, 20:18:02

Originally posted by crest23:
I get less earthquakes than anyone in the game and I am actually a proponent for it.

Comfirmed, i sent USGS certified spies to his country and reported back "we did not find any active fault lines". True story!
(•_•)