Verified:

sdjaks Game profile

Jan 9th 2013, 17:29:55

As a commie indy, when should I start spending cash on industrial tech? It's really expensive right now, but I feel like even a slight percentage is going to help me a lot. Should I wait to buy tech until reaching a certain amount of acres?

Xinhuan Game profile

Jan 9th 2013, 18:36:39

You should allocate a portion of your sales from the previous day to buying tech. Generally speaking, you want to maintain your indy tech % at a decently good level (say 140%) or higher.

Start buying. :)

Some players play "delayed" i.e store turns until they have are nearly full on turns, then play them 1-day-delayed in order to buy cheaper techs.

Generally speaking, tech points pay for itself from the extra production they make your country produce. You want to be in an upward spiral (have tech to increase income to be able to buy even more tech), rather than a downward spiral (not enough cash to buy tech, so your tech % drops even lower).

Edited By: Xinhuan on Jan 9th 2013, 18:38:58
See Original Post

Rockman Game profile

Jan 9th 2013, 21:12:50

Originally posted by sdjaks:
As a commie indy, when should I start spending cash on industrial tech? It's really expensive right now, but I feel like even a slight percentage is going to help me a lot. Should I wait to buy tech until reaching a certain amount of acres?

Don't buy tech until its price is less than 2.5x your acres. In general this means to start buying indy tech at around 2k acres. And by the time you're 4k acres, you want to be buying it pretty heavily. The sooner you get to 140% indy tech, the better. By the time you get to 8k acres, you should have over 140% indy tech. If you grow quickly, your indy tech should fluctuate around 140% to 145%. You should slow your growth if you find your techs lagging. It is better to slow your growth, than to let your techs fall behind.

Grady Game profile

Jan 11th 2013, 4:22:01

I have seen people spending $6000~$8000 per point buying the first techs on the market early in the set (usually business/residential/agricultural), are they really worth their price?

AndrewMose Game profile

Jan 11th 2013, 4:53:59

Only if the production you get will reimburse you for the price difference of where it will be.

For example. $6000 industrial will benefit you $20 per turn.
You expect it to be priced around $3000 in 200 turns.

Well 200 * $20 > $6000-$3000 and therefor it is worth it.

However tech prices tend to drop much faster than that from $6000, and there may very well be a better investment for your money at that time.

But that is the concept.

Rockman Game profile

Jan 14th 2013, 14:11:05

Originally posted by Grady:
I have seen people spending $6000~$8000 per point buying the first techs on the market early in the set (usually business/residential/agricultural), are they really worth their price?

Agricultural gives you about a 220% boost at good tech levels, whereas Industrial gives you about a 155% boost at good tech levels. Agricultural tech helps a farmer a lot more than industrial tech helps an industrialist. Business and residential techs give an even bigger boost than agricultural tech when combined together - 165% each bus/res tech gives a 272.25% boost to tax income (1.65*1.65). That is why people are more willing to pay an exorbitant price for bus/res/agri than they are to pay so much for industrial technology.

holycamels Game profile

Mar 6th 2013, 3:12:40

I am not sure if its good practice or not but I try not to buy tech above $3000. Sometimes you are forced to however...

Qazulight Game profile

Mar 21st 2013, 2:50:28

I am a nub. Total messed up my start, but now I am a democracy hoping to make most money buying and selling in the market.

If I make it to the end of the game I figure I did ok

Cheers
Qazulight

Xinhuan Game profile

Mar 21st 2013, 5:29:34

I bought $4500 tech on Team all reset long (avg price $4700 for whole of last week). That's res/bus techs.

sk8trboy99 Game profile

Mar 23rd 2013, 8:50:08

I prefer to buy rathurnser to spend t

PBT Game profile

Mar 24th 2013, 22:54:38

Buy tech from turn 102 onwards.

Frodo Game profile

Apr 22nd 2013, 5:07:19

Is it better to do the delayed start in single player servers such as Primary or start quickly? I have wondered this because for example do you want to come out of production as say a farmer or casher while other commies and tyrannies have 2-3x your NW? Also as a techer is it a good idea to come out of production as quickly as possible to take advantage of the high early tech or wait? Also would these answers change for Alliance which has tag protection?

Marshal Game profile

Apr 22nd 2013, 10:12:19

in alliance with tag protection its good to come oop as soon as possible, non-tag servers it is wise to wait a while before coming oop.
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

AndrewMose Game profile

Apr 22nd 2013, 10:48:59

Originally posted by Frodo:
Is it better to do the delayed start in single player servers such as Primary or start quickly? I have wondered this because for example do you want to come out of production as say a farmer or casher while other commies and tyrannies have 2-3x your NW? Also as a techer is it a good idea to come out of production as quickly as possible to take advantage of the high early tech or wait? Also would these answers change for Alliance which has tag protection?

I don't think there is a perfect answer. I tend to play delayed. In Primary I almost all set I log out so that next time I log in I will be at 86 (80) without having lost a turn. This is dangerous and probably not best practice though. I like the flexibility of being able to play more turns when prices are rising and fewer turns when they are falling.

Xinhuan Game profile

Apr 22nd 2013, 11:42:16

Well AndrewMose, it's dangerous because your tech might not have sold and you can't spend turns when logged in at 86(80).

AndrewMose Game profile

Apr 22nd 2013, 12:27:34

That is correct, I have had to sell turrets on private market to allow this, and I have had real life issues come up so that I have overflowed turns. I dont think playing delayed is the best way to go.

Frodo Game profile

Apr 22nd 2013, 22:02:27

If you are running a land grabbing strat like commie or tyranny is it best to come oop quickly in single servers?

Marshal Game profile

Apr 22nd 2013, 22:09:06

yes since if you wait others get their defs up.
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....