Who has read the books?

Giants and Mammoths. Cool!

BattleKJ Game profile

Apr 2nd 2013, 12:48:04

Nipple cut off...

Welcome back GoT.

EVO|Rasp

Apr 2nd 2013, 12:52:18

Typically, one doesn't have to worry about the big scorpions. It's the little ones that pack a punch. Unless it's a large one with green on it and was conjured by a warlock and delivered by a little girl.

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 2nd 2013, 14:57:15

watch & read :)
Finally did the signature thing.

Mr. Iris Game profile

Apr 2nd 2013, 15:16:43

I'm about 300 pages into A Storm of Swords.
Originally posted by archaic:
see many colors
fluttering in the spring winds
Iris blooms again

H4xOr WaNgEr Game profile

Forum Moderator

Apr 2nd 2013, 17:09:49

I've read all the books and I watch the show.

I feel they tried to cover too much in the season opener, as a result it felt choppy an erratic (very much like the very first episode, which also tried to cover too much story).

I don't like a couple of the changes they've made (that ruin things that were suppose to be surprises), and I don't like the changes they made to Jon's first encounter with Mance (they cut the story about how Mance has seen Jon a couple times before, which is an important detail for later sub-plots).

I also feel they are trying to advance Danaerys storyline too quickly. I hope they realize that they are going to have to fill 2 seasons with the third book's content, and in general Danaerys isn't followed as heavily in Storm or Swords as she was in the first 2.

Maybe they intend to create a bunch of new filler content for her, seeing how she is a fan favourite.

Son Goku Game profile

Apr 2nd 2013, 17:18:58

They downplayed the Mance/Tormund encounter, basically edited out the Fist of First Men battle and moved some story around that should have been in the first episode. Overall it was a bit light on action due to those events, but the plot building has improved from Season 2. They didn't try to include EVERY character at least.

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Apr 2nd 2013, 21:19:03

It's going to depend to how much show time is devoted to battle scenes.
you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Apr 2nd 2013, 21:23:01

http://insidetv.ew.com/...03/31/hbo-thrones-piracy/

interesting lol.
Although that contrasts the attitude of the tv industry vs Hollywood quite well (also note how many tv shows one can see for legally for free on 24 hour delay).
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

Ikkaku Game profile

Apr 3rd 2013, 3:37:47

spartacus battle scenes were much better

iScode Game profile

Apr 3rd 2013, 5:35:07

can i steal it from anywhere yet?
iScode
God of War

DEATH TO SOV!

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Apr 3rd 2013, 12:18:25

obviously yes:P
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

Forum Moderator

Apr 3rd 2013, 16:59:49

lol I downloaded it in HD before the encore presentation came on a hour later :P

Ballzac Game profile

Apr 3rd 2013, 18:13:09

H4xorWaNgEr, I read an article (believe it was in Entertainment Weekly) where producers/writers from the show say they don't plan on splitting up the third book into two seasons. No idea how they plan do to this, but hopefully there will be a short break during the summer and they finish the third book in the fall.

Ballzac Game profile

Apr 3rd 2013, 18:14:27

I've read all the books though, and think it will be hard for the tv series to be as great as the books were for me. With that being said, I'm still a big fan and am very excited it's back! :)

Forum Moderator

Apr 3rd 2013, 20:25:13

I read reports saying the opposite, that they did intend to split it over 2 seasons. It would make sense given that they want the books to finish before the series catches up to it.

My understanding was that they intend to take season 3 up to the "RW" and end the season there.

Edited By: H4xOr WaNgEr on Apr 4th 2013, 2:29:23
See Original Post

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Apr 4th 2013, 1:26:09

that would be a logical place to break it imo. I can't really comment more without spoilers:P
Also given that the second last book in the series is due out before the end of the year (theoretically) there will be only one more book to be finished which could potentially have 4-5 seasons worth of episodes before the series catches up. Of course that's assuming he sticks to 7 books:P

(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

de1i Game profile

Apr 4th 2013, 1:46:19

Look at the episode titles, of course there is going to be 2 seasons for Storm of Swords...

Also worth mentioning, confirmation from the man himself:
http://grrm.livejournal.com/276653.html

Forum Moderator

Apr 4th 2013, 2:32:58

there is no way that "The Winds of Winter" will be out before the end of the year. He promised to have "A Dance with Dragons" out about a year after "A Feast for Crows" and it turned out to be what... almost 6 years?

The show could easily catch up to him at the rate he writes.

EVO|Rasp

Apr 4th 2013, 13:45:01

lol @ livejournal

Next episode in 3 days. :)

My friends and I take part in a GoT Feast whenever a new episode comes out. Basically a big ass dinner and a movie.

Patience Game profile

Apr 4th 2013, 14:06:30

Originally posted by Ballzac:
I've read all the books though, and think it will be hard for the tv series to be as great as the books were for me. With that being said, I'm still a big fan and am very excited it's back! :)

Ditto. Loved the books, loving the series but it's obviously got its limitations. I will say that I think the casting is freakin' awesome in most cases.
I cannot see your signature - so if it's witty, put it in a post instead! :p

archaic: Patty, if it was you wearing it, I'd consider a fuzzy pink pig suit to be lingerie. Patty makes pork rock.

Pontius Pirate

EE Patron

Apr 4th 2013, 14:08:24

Originally posted by H4xOr WaNgEr:
there is no way that "The Winds of Winter" will be out before the end of the year. He promised to have "A Dance with Dragons" out about a year after "A Feast for Crows" and it turned out to be what... almost 6 years?

The show could easily catch up to him at the rate he writes.
or go past him as apparently he outlined the plot of the last books to the producers and writers for the show

though its unlikely they'll be allowed to pass him... but if he stalls enough with his books
Originally posted by Cerberus:

This guy is destroying the U.S. Dollars position as the preferred exchange for international trade. The Chinese Ruan is going to replace it soon, then the U.S. will not have control of the IMF

Murf Game profile

Apr 4th 2013, 15:53:08

I've been waiting what seems an eternity for the next book

Forum Moderator

Apr 4th 2013, 16:21:37

Dance with Dragons only came out in 2011, I wouldn't expect Winds of Winter until 2014 at the earliest.

SirSepher Game profile

Apr 6th 2013, 2:08:49

I'm surprised no one has brought this up... But wasn't anyone else frustrated by woman Missendai rather than the child she was supposed to be? I thought it was a good start... But very crammed as others have said. It looks to be the same coming up in ep. 2 based on the previews. I was really looking forward to the response Jon gave Mance in the books during their encounter scene too... Ah, we can't have it all when it comes to an on screen adaptation:P
-Sir Sepher
Old Fogey learning to play again
PDM FTW
For the glory of Camelot

iZarcon Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 6th 2013, 21:38:30

yea, GoT ftw! i've read all the books. waited ages for the last book to come out and i seriously doubt we'll see the next one for a few more years. GRRM refuses to be pushed to complete his books.
-iZarcon
EE Developer

http://www.letskillstuff.org

Murf Game profile

Apr 7th 2013, 9:04:46

Really looking forward to the red wedding

Forum Moderator

Apr 7th 2013, 14:15:17

GRRM gave an interview during the premere party for season 3. He was questioned about Winds of Winter and basically said that it will be as long as Dance of Dragons, thus will take a long time to write and that we shouldn't "expect it next week".

Aka, it's a few years out.

SirSepher Game profile

Apr 8th 2013, 20:41:18

Hrm, going to have to re-read the third book... They're throwing things in there that I don't remember being there this early on =P Good second episode... I hope the directors don't turn this into Heroes... Trying to focus on too many characters at once is hard to follow by times and introducing the amount of characters they just did last night... wow! lol.
-Sir Sepher
Old Fogey learning to play again
PDM FTW
For the glory of Camelot

Ballzac Game profile

Apr 8th 2013, 22:37:21

If you read the books, and watch the show (more than once) the characters fall into place. I actually read along with the series/book last season and it worked out fairly well. I've already read all of the books thus far but it's fun to kind of match and compare as the season goes on. Obviously there's not an exact time frame but I pick and choose where to stop each week. Give it a shot SirSepher

kingofthezulus

Apr 8th 2013, 23:42:28

I'm about 300 pages into Dance with Dragons, trying to make it last for a while. I've watched the show sporadically.

Forum Moderator

Apr 9th 2013, 1:50:18

They said that they would be shifting some stuff around to make it work better on screen.

Dissidenticn

Apr 9th 2013, 2:28:08

well... HBO is taking some liberties to clean up the flow of the show to try and make a book fit into two seasons now. Martin is involved as an exec producer, so anything they do he must give it the ok.

de1i Game profile

Apr 9th 2013, 2:29:18

Queen of Thorns!

EVO|Rasp

Apr 19th 2013, 14:15:05

What good is Jaime now without his hand?

Forum Moderator

Apr 19th 2013, 18:38:04

I guess you'll just have to wait and see "what good" he is.

NRS Game profile

Apr 20th 2013, 20:04:58

I think tomorrow's episode will be really good

Suncrusher Game profile

Apr 20th 2013, 21:02:41

I think I would've enjoyed the show more if I had not read the books. I wouldn't be aware of all the great things that they cut from the books. Some of my favourite scenes from the books never made it into the show.

EVO|Rasp

Apr 23rd 2013, 13:09:18

dragons are fun.

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Apr 23rd 2013, 14:53:17

I try the weigh the show on its own merit since generally books are not written with screenplay in mind.
Some books are awsome but would make piss poor movies without multiple adaptions (and vice versa).

Having said that, I can't believe they are making great gatsby into a movie. It was a craptastic book..
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

Mr Emerald

Apr 23rd 2013, 21:04:09

Last episode was pretty good. I can't wait for next weeks. I also plan on either buying the books or finding some pdf's if anyone has some good links pm me ;)
We are not the same, I am martian!
you are all retarded in the eyes of fluff
o o
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER TEDDY BEAR!!!

Forum Moderator

Apr 23rd 2013, 21:07:05

yeah, I was a little disappointed with the sacking of Astenpor (sp?), but I also recognize that there are a lot of battle scenes in this book/season and they don't have the budget to do them all justice.

Drow Game profile

Apr 23rd 2013, 22:13:12

haven't started on the 3rd series yet, but watched the first two, and overall, I'm pleasantly surprised with the result. generally stuff is WAY more butchered when it's taken from book to screen.

Paradigm President of failed speeling

Ballzac Game profile

Apr 24th 2013, 13:33:56

Agreed H4. As this season goes on I treat the show as a different entity than the book. I've been reading along with the book this season and you're absolutely spot on. Enjoy it for what it's worth :)

EVO|Rasp

May 17th 2013, 13:02:29

3 more episodes left this season and there's going to be some crazy stuff going on.

I started reading the first book - so far it's almost exactly as the first season.

Forum Moderator

May 17th 2013, 14:33:32

yeah rasp, the first book and the first season are quite close (the book just covers a lot more about what happened in the original rebellion, via people's memories. A lot of that stuff is expected to play into big discoveries later, like who Jon Snow's mother is for example).

season 2 deviates quite a bit more, and season 3 even more so.

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

May 17th 2013, 15:35:24

Battle scenes are expensive:P Especially when it's not science fiction where you can do almost all of it via CG :P
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

sirbossplaya Game profile

May 18th 2013, 0:02:15

the stories scuks...

de1i Game profile

Jun 2nd 2013, 19:13:04

I DON'T WANNA HEAR THE WEDDING BELLS CHIME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQOmtXktVQE

kingofthezulus

Jun 2nd 2013, 20:13:02

Read the books, but haven't been following the show, have they gotten to The Red Wedding yet? I'd like to see that episode.