Verified:

Fooglmog Game profile

Oct 15th 2013, 18:29:38

http://what-if.xkcd.com/67/

Kilograms are a measurement of mass, not weight. Mass does not vary depending upon gravity.

(Needed to get that out of my system)

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

GodHead Dibs Game profile

Oct 16th 2013, 10:30:27

seems to also be defined as a measure of force, which probably has neither mass or weight.
Dibs Ludicrous was here.

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Oct 16th 2013, 21:33:07

Well, true, he should have gone with Newtons... but who measures their weight in Newtons anyway! lol
Finally did the signature thing.

Fooglmog Game profile

Oct 17th 2013, 12:51:52

Originally posted by qzjul:
who measures their weight in Newtons anyway! lol

Anyone needing to account for changes in gravitational force.

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

pokey Game profile

Oct 17th 2013, 19:44:54

Eh I think they use it properly, given the context. If a person steps on a scale before the Earth expands, it'll read 70kg. If they step on a scale after the Earth expands, it'll read 70.01kg. They didn't gain any mass, but mass and weight are interchangeable in everyday circumstances when it comes to a person standing on the (normal-sized) Earth, so nearly all of our "mass" measuring equipment measures weight, not mass.

Of course, the logical thing would have been to use the English system here and there'd be no confusion :-P
--TheOmega--
--Pandora's Last Vikings--
http://www.eepandora.com

Fooglmog Game profile

Oct 17th 2013, 20:30:08

When measuring kgs, you must either use a balance scale with a known mass on the opposing side, or you must zero your scale using a known mass. Either way, the measurement will remain the same regardless of changes in gravitational forces.

The fact that you can make a scale give an incorrect answer by mis-using it does not alter reality. Your measurement is simply wrong.

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

Edited By: Fooglmog on Oct 18th 2013, 0:53:34
See Original Post

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Oct 18th 2013, 16:23:22

Ack this sent me on a 2 day spree of catching up on every what-if I'd missed... lol...
Finally did the signature thing.

GodHead Dibs Game profile

Oct 20th 2013, 20:19:20

it sends me back to the question of the Big Bang. why do we have gravity if it went boom and everything is supposed to be expanding away from everything? tiny little dot containing the entire known universe goes boom and starts expanding, why does some of it stop and decide to start clumping together?
Dibs Ludicrous was here.