Verified:

TrinityIX

Nov 11th 2013, 22:35:12

....does her job have the right to fire her for it?

http://bossip.com/...ictim-and-loses-job39204/
Minty
adj: Describing someone as British and homo-sexual.
mint minte mintt gay british person kj
by Master ZEN Aug 28, 2012

ericownsyou5 Game profile

Nov 11th 2013, 22:47:48

This is insensitive and overall pretty stupid. It appears she worked for a private company and the owner had to publicly defend himself - of course he has the right to fire her.

CX LaE Game profile

Nov 11th 2013, 22:49:10

It's a tasteless costume, sure, but I don't think her job should have fired her over it. That's an overreaction. She had the right to choose the costume of her choice, and her employer had the right to choice to can her for its controversial nature.

If anything, she should have been quietly reprimanded for it and maybe sent home for the day or something.
LaE | Monks | NA
Since 1999

Mr Charcoal Game profile

Nov 11th 2013, 22:51:18

I would....just sayin ;-)
Originally posted by NOW3P:
Religion is like a penis - it's perfectly fine to have one, but you're best served not whipping it out in public and waving it in people's faces.

mdevol Game profile

Nov 11th 2013, 23:17:56

Originally posted by TrinityIX:
....does her job have the right to fire her for it?

http://bossip.com/...ictim-and-loses-job39204/

does her job have the RIGHT to fire her?

yes. she was an at-will employee, as a resident of Michigan. They don't need ANY reason to fire an employee.

it was a stupid costume and I have no sympathy for her.

Surely what a man does when he is caught off his guard is the best evidence as to what sort of man he is. - C.S. Lewis

Akula Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 11th 2013, 23:25:23

Originally posted by mdevol:

it was a stupid costume and I have no sympathy for her.

agreed
=============================
"Astra inclinant, sed non obligant"

SOL http://sol.ghqnet.com/
=============================

TrinityIX

Nov 12th 2013, 2:18:00

Right, wrong, or indifferent don't matter to me. I just posted this to see what other people think.
Minty
adj: Describing someone as British and homo-sexual.
mint minte mintt gay british person kj
by Master ZEN Aug 28, 2012

Nuketon Game profile

Nov 12th 2013, 2:30:19

Most jobs these days put all employees as "at-will" so they can fire them at any point for anything. Unless you have some sort of contract, most employers can terminate you for any reason they choose at any time.

Although I don't disagree with the company's decision, if I were the boss I probably would not have fired her if this was the only issue. I would definitely reprimand her and send her home for the day, but we all make stupid decisions from time to time.... this being one for sure.

galleri Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express, Tourney, & FFA

Nov 12th 2013, 2:39:37

fluffty costume. Either way, at will state, so they can fire her. She was probably treading on a thin line as is....so they were looking for anything to get rid of her. That was probably the final straw.

https://gyazo.com/...b3bb28dddf908cdbcfd162513

Kahuna: Ya you just wrote the fkn equation, not helping me at all. Lol n I hated algebra.

Cerberus Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 12th 2013, 4:17:37

galleri is probably right. Anyone who is insensitive enough to wear a costume like this is probably guilty of many indiscretions. So, the costume was probably a "final" straw.
I don't need anger management, people need to stop pissing me off!

Angel1 Game profile

Nov 12th 2013, 4:20:31

Fire her for wearing the costume? No, fire her for letting herself get photographed in the costume and letting that picture get out onto the internet? Heck yes. Sympathetic? That she got fired, no; that she put herself in the situation, yes.
-Angel1

hawkeyee Game profile

Nov 12th 2013, 6:29:36

Vice-Principal at a high school in Toronto is being disciplined for dressing as Mr. T (he's white, was wearing blackface)
Minister
The Omega
Omega Retal Policy/Contacts: http://tinyurl.com/owpvakm (Earth Wiki)
Apply: http://tinyurl.com/mydc8by (Boxcar)

flgatorboy89 Game profile

Nov 12th 2013, 6:59:53

She deserved this.
Jon
ZT, SoL

<jon> off to bed fluffbeater :p
<mrford> i dont beat fluffs
<mrford> i eat them
<mrford> gosh
<jon> well, fluffeater
<Kat> oookay....

Drow Game profile

Nov 12th 2013, 7:30:29

if she is a casual ( I am assauming at-will is a similar thing), then yes, the company is within their rights.

Paradigm President of failed speeling

kemo Game profile

Nov 12th 2013, 17:03:47

i seen a lot of ghost costumes but you dont hear me complaining about insulting my dead relatives. its nothing more then a costume
all praised to ra

ericownsyou5 Game profile

Nov 12th 2013, 17:42:21

Originally posted by kemo:
i seen a lot of ghost costumes but you dont hear me complaining about insulting my dead relatives. its nothing more then a costume

...wut?

Patience Game profile

Nov 18th 2013, 20:29:24

So... let me ask you a question. Let's say that your grandmother is at a restaurant, and a terrorist walks in and hacks her to death with a machete. And then let us suppose that the following week, on Halloween, someone dresses up as your grandmother AFTER the attack, covered in blood and slash marks. How do you feel about it THEN?

There are some lines that you just do not cross.

I believe she got fired, but I don't believe it was for this alone - this was just the excuse to finally get her out the door, because firing someone nowadays takes an act of God, two Dalai Lamas, and at least 4 sacrificial goats. If she had been a valuable employee, they simply would have sent her home to change.

IMHO, you can't fire someone for poor judgment in a Halloween costume. If you allow people to dress up, you have to expect that some of them will have (abysmally) poor taste. But you can certainly send them home to change, and expect them to make up the time.
I cannot see your signature - so if it's witty, put it in a post instead! :p

archaic: Patty, if it was you wearing it, I'd consider a fuzzy pink pig suit to be lingerie. Patty makes pork rock.

robyn Game profile

Nov 18th 2013, 21:53:44

hey patience :) There you are still around
You still in Calgary :P

Patience Game profile

Nov 18th 2013, 22:17:50

Yep, sure am! How's it going?
I cannot see your signature - so if it's witty, put it in a post instead! :p

archaic: Patty, if it was you wearing it, I'd consider a fuzzy pink pig suit to be lingerie. Patty makes pork rock.

Mossad Game profile

Nov 21st 2013, 15:08:01

Lowbrow, Pathetic and insensitive twit she is!

kemo Game profile

Nov 21st 2013, 19:05:28

Originally posted by Patience:

So... let me ask you a question. Let's say that your grandmother is at a restaurant, and a terrorist walks in and hacks her to death with a machete. And then let us suppose that the following week, on Halloween, someone dresses up as your grandmother AFTER the attack, covered in blood and slash marks. How do you feel about it THEN?

There are some lines that you just do not cross.

I believe she got fired, but I don't believe it was for this alone - this was just the excuse to finally get her out the door, because firing someone nowadays takes an act of God, two Dalai Lamas, and at least 4 sacrificial goats. If she had been a valuable employee, they simply would have sent her home to change.

IMHO, you can't fire someone for poor judgment in a Halloween costume. If you allow people to dress up, you have to expect that some of them will have (abysmally) poor taste. But you can certainly send them home to change, and expect them to make up the time.
thats entirely their choice if they want to dress as her. are there better choices? absolutely. it really is nothing more then a role playing moment for that person who just wants to escape their own reality for a short time. if they that one costume multiple times id be wondering whats wrong with them

as for the that being what she was actually fired for i dont really care. the only people this should really impact is the boston bombing relatives since they have the only real motive for being upset
all praised to ra

blackcougar Game profile

Nov 21st 2013, 21:29:03

At will employment she fluffed up. as a unioned employee if i did that due to insensitive background i would be sent home maybe wrote up but fired good luck.

if i was her boss i would chuckle then prolly reprimand her and send her home on grounds dresscode violation possibly insensitive or immoral grounds, fired? No. but not my decision heh