Verified:

Ivan Game profile

Jul 12th 2010, 12:08:46

Can you please stop posting stupid ideas regarding reset lenght and maximum countries and actually try to do something creative 90 days set or 32 countries would only make this server less attractive to play on for the general population and it already is very unattractive to play on for most of earths active players

if anything they should go the other way around and limit the countries to 8 and make the sets shorter, then we might actually get more players to play FFA

Ivan Game profile

Jul 12th 2010, 12:09:21

Also they should make it imposible to hit your own countries and your own tag for land but thats awhole other issue

enshula Game profile

EE Patron

Jul 12th 2010, 12:38:01

unless you fix it properly that just raises the entry barrier to self farming

meaning those who do put in a bit more effort are way in front of those who dont

Ivan Game profile

Jul 12th 2010, 13:52:14

so? i dont see why it shouldnt be that way in pretty much all games those who put more time into it are better players and thus get an advantage to those who isnt

Dragon Game profile

Jul 12th 2010, 13:58:43

If there were 35,000 countries on the server like in the old days, I would agree about self-farming but the reality is that there's not even 1/10th of that number.

enshula Game profile

EE Patron

Jul 12th 2010, 14:01:25

well if it was changed just so you couldnt grab countries on the same account then the best way to win would be:

1) run 2 accounts, perhaps with 8 countries each
2) team up with another player and run farms for eachother

its not so much more time or effort, except when it comes to coordinating schedules if your trying to do landtrading/ghostacre creation but even just allx farms is still more efficient and would mean people who didnt bother to do it couldnt compete

ICe Man

Jul 12th 2010, 14:14:01

Actually, ivan, I was talking QZ when this came up.

Was nothing to do with my "silly ideas".

FFA has historicly been a 3 month reset, but you wouldn't know that my noobie friend.

Also, 30minute/turn
Thank God, for I'm a blessed man.

enshula Game profile

EE Patron

Jul 12th 2010, 14:16:28

40 minutes/turn at one point i believe

ICe Man

Jul 12th 2010, 14:20:57

40/30 Eitherway.
Thank God, for I'm a blessed man.

TCOFYA

Jul 12th 2010, 14:22:26

35000 countries

20000 were run by bots, others ran 200-300....you still can't compare.

16 countries = plenty, but will never be enough for die hard FFA'ers. Increase it however, and most people will leave this server. It doesn't take hours though to run 100 countries. With good strats, you can get 'decent' countries that can be used to put out hits. In my top days I could run my countries after 150 turns in less then 10 seconds. Running 15 countries would take me no more then 2-3 minutes back then. If you want quality, stick to 16. Mayham, increase it.

mrford Game profile

Jul 12th 2010, 15:15:12

Making it to where you couldn't hit your own tag would be disasterous IMO. Unless you had an insanely active team of ppl with the admin pass it would bake the server a haven for suiciders and kill the game rather quickly

come on Ivan, you are smarter than that
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

Sauron NBK Game profile

Jul 12th 2010, 17:33:02

Is he? Think you' re giving him a little too much credit there Ford.

kemo Game profile

Jul 12th 2010, 17:44:54

ive talked with an admin about how it should be no ghost acres for in tag farming. i seriously hope that gets implemented
all praised to ra

NOW3P Game profile

Jul 12th 2010, 17:52:55

The guy just posted for someone to stop posting ideas to improve the game...I gotta to agree w/ Sauron, I think he hit the nail on the head.

Ivan Game profile

Jul 12th 2010, 18:01:59

Oh im sure its a great server for the 12 people that plays on it but for the majority of earthers they wouldnt even consider playing 16 countries

as for me being a noob iceman, traditionally this server didnt have 30 mins per turn for most of earths time it had 40 mins per turn and I think FFA was closed down just after mehul started to shorten the times between turns and the reason that most people created bots was because they were too lazy to run 15 countries

As for running yer own landfarms, it doesnt really do anything it doesnt show what skills you have in the game it doesnt add anything to the game it simply allows you to run "multies" for your own use and yes id call them multies and the only difference between this server and the other is that your allowed to do it here.

Ivan Game profile

Jul 12th 2010, 18:06:43

As for 3 month sets, maybe FFA changed later then alliance did im not really sure on it but alliance changed to 2 months sets in 01 or 02 and i cant remember FFA being longer then alliance

so much for tradition

enshula Game profile

EE Patron

Jul 12th 2010, 18:19:12

i agree ffa is a bit silly

maybe its possible to have some differant rules here because its so much easier to landtrade/selffarm with 1 person having up to 16 countries

at least if free land in bots or something comes into the game that can reduce the desirability of using multies to help one country

since its so easy to help one country retal grabbing will always be limited on this server

i only got grabbed 3 times this server, 2 times by countries trying to midfeed me which were easy enough to retal

had to blow some stock once

and the other hit was someone topfeeding/landtrading but since they did it to an obvious farm its hard to get upset about it

NOW3P Game profile

Jul 12th 2010, 18:31:57

Maybe I'm wrong here, but isn't the whole purpose of the FFA server to open up the possibilities that come with being able to run lots of countries on your own? And wouldn't limiting that number to even less countries remove a lot of those possibilities?

Land trading/self farming are going to happen even if you allow people TWO countries....how are you guys not figuring this out? It has NOTHING to do with the actual # of countries they can run, and everything to do with the fact that they can do it legally with no mechanisms in place to stop them or remove the incentive from it.

If you're really petty enough to want to see self-farming completely disappear, petition the mods to disallow hitting within your own string. If it's popular opinion within the community, they have the means to put an end to it if they want to. Griping about the # of countries people can play isn't going to solve anything, as it's not at the root of the problem.

If you're not motivated enough to play the max # of countries allowed, and are complaining about people being able to beat up on you who are that motivated....I suggest playing in one of the less time consuming servers, and leaving FFA to us bored nerds.

enshula Game profile

EE Patron

Jul 12th 2010, 18:37:52

sure 2 countries is fine the way the game is now

if you fix networth land trading, then your back to building land trading, which is still better than grabbing, if you fix that your back to exploring in one country and grabbing it with the other

grabbing can easily be better than that

but if retalling is too easy then it wont be

i dont want self trading banned within the same account/tag i want it reduced in effectiveness combined with other things being increased in effectiveness

number of countries is merely one factor and im happy for it to stay about the same as it is now basing countries more around killing efficiency than retalling or netgaining

Ivan Game profile

Jul 12th 2010, 19:46:18

I believe that icemans suggestion was 32 countries per person, id rather go down to 8 then up to 32 from 16 thats for sure

im not whining about 16 countries anywhere, i dont agree on farming your own countries sending stuff between them sure but farming them is different

anyway too tired to reply atm fluff

Desperado Game profile

Jul 12th 2010, 20:11:51

well, nobody said you HAVE (edit) play all 32 countries. Back when FFA was unlimited I never played more than 45, hell more often than not I played under 15. Now, if the admins do raise it to 32 countries, I think it might be a good idea to being the turns back to 72/50, and maybe even back to 60 minutes a turn. If we're gonna bring the server as close to the pre-bot days, might as well do it turnwise too.

I wouldn't mind a 3 month reset, contrary to what people may think, a 90 set can give people plenty of time to war, and still net effectively and would probably make the llaar's of the server bored with self farming all reset.

As for the ideas being silly, what would you know anyways ivan? you're a 1aer.

Edited By: Desperado on Jul 12th 2010, 20:16:04
See Original Post

Originally posted by Primeval:
pants antler

Akula Game profile

EE Patron

Jul 12th 2010, 20:48:13

Originally posted by TCOFYA:
35000 countries

20000 were run by bots, others ran 200-300....you still can't compare.

16 countries = plenty

amen !
=============================
"Astra inclinant, sed non obligant"

SOL http://sol.ghqnet.com/
=============================

Mad Morticia Game profile

Jul 13th 2010, 1:50:03

I'm no mathematician but someone said the other day that when the reset was dropped from 3 to 2 months but the turns started to pop in every 20 minutes, the total number of turns for 2 vs 3 mos, was not very different at all.

Twain Game profile

Jul 13th 2010, 2:05:04

Ivan: The reason people made bots is because they were too lazy to play the 300+ illegal countries they had, not because they were too lazy to play their 15.

Mehul did a lousy job of enforcing the rules, generally doing about one sweep a reset. If you survived the one sweep, you were probably good to cheat as much as you wanted the rest of the time.

Desperado Game profile

Jul 13th 2010, 2:25:57

unless I'm wrong here...

3 turns an hour * 24 hours = 72 turns * 60 days = 4320 turns plus up to 480 bonus turns. 4800 turns

1 turn an hour * 24 hours = 24 turns * 90 days = 2160 turns plus up to 720 turns... 2880 turns...

3600 turns at 40 minutes per turn

or something like that

and a lot of people played 300 by hand, that wasn't the problem, it was the people that would play 5000 with a bot

pants antler

NOW3P Game profile

Jul 13th 2010, 2:27:16

1 turn/60 min would just be boring.

Twain Game profile

Jul 13th 2010, 2:32:24

I like the current system. More bang for your buck, as Despy's numbers show.

Desperado Game profile

Jul 13th 2010, 2:39:07

well, yeah, more turns an hour, and more turns to use... to mitigate the need to run more than alloted

pants antler

Ivan Game profile

Jul 13th 2010, 7:26:53

the lenght of the resets were dropped before they changed the turn/time MM

Thunder Game profile

Jul 13th 2010, 21:48:24

1 turn an hour * 24 hours = 24 turns * 90 days = 2160 turns plus up to 720 turns... 2880 turns...

3600 turns at 40 minutes per turn

Actually its 24 * 60 / 40 = 36 * 90 = 3240 + up to 720 = 3960 turns at 40mins/turn

But still 20m/turn = WIN!

Thunder
ICQ 56183127
MSN

2010 Armchair GMs League Champion
DEFEATER OF MRFORD!
FoCuS'D

NA FA/Senate
Lords

Ninja since born....Awesome Forever!

QM Diver Game profile

Aug 25th 2010, 4:41:49

'would only make this server less attractive to play on for the general population and it already is very unattractive to play on for most of earths active players'

==================================
You are talking from a position of tainted bias..
Instead of what *people that have no clue.. The 2 servers are so different, and I can tell where you came from just by what you say.. You can't honestly say what a inexperienced nOOb might or might not think of the differences, because like me, you have at least been influenced , possibly even dictated a little policy in 1a... (Me, prolly on FFA)

In fact, it took me a long time to get arounfd the idea of having/playing only one country,. I think it was due to the whole premise, of each style. Both have their good points.... But are about as similar as a baseball and a football.. (American)

*An FFAer might say, damn, to play just 1 country? BORING!!

While the 1aer might say, damn, that sure is a waste of time playing ALL those..

So.... Sauron, I don't think he was dropped on his head or anything..! It may be due only to an ignorance and attempts at ending enlightened, has so far, ended in failure.

To open the mind.... Get around that, eh?

*(unexposed to either Alliance or FFA)

Didn't proof read so make sure you read between the lines...
Natural Born Killers
PreZ

rpottage Game profile

Aug 25th 2010, 4:51:35

Why would you bother bringing this up again?

rpottage Game profile

Aug 25th 2010, 4:51:48

?

NOW3P Game profile

Aug 25th 2010, 5:58:35

I hate to say it, but I think you're wrong QM. Although those biases definitely exist, what makes a game fun is in most cases generally universal - rule sets are only technicalities that change HOW the game is play, not what makes playing it fun in the first place.

Twister is fun whether you play it naked or as a drinking game, for example (I prefer a hybrid of the two, of course). Some may prefer one or another for personal reasons, but the game itself is fun regardless of what rule set you use.

rpottage Game profile

Aug 25th 2010, 6:00:03

Originally posted by NOW3P:
I hate to say it, but I think you're wrong QM. Although those biases definitely exist, what makes a game fun is in most cases generally universal - rule sets are only technicalities that change HOW the game is play, not what makes playing it fun in the first place.

Twister is fun whether you play it naked or as a drinking game, for example (I prefer a hybrid of the two, of course). Some may prefer one or another for personal reasons, but the game itself is fun regardless of what rule set you use.
To be fair, everything's fun when you're drunk and naked.

NOW3P Game profile

Aug 25th 2010, 6:28:15

Go run through a corn field and then come back and tell me that :-P

Thunder Game profile

Aug 25th 2010, 14:56:36

"Go run through a corn field backwards while naked and then come back and tell me that :-P" - NOW3P

+Fixed
Thunder
ICQ 56183127
MSN

DEFEATER OF MRFORD!
FoCuS'D

NA FA/Senate
Lords

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Aug 25th 2010, 15:34:45

strip twister ftw!
you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

de1i Game profile

Aug 25th 2010, 15:45:12

Strip Twiztid!

NOW3P Game profile

Aug 25th 2010, 17:02:25

Originally posted by Thunder:
"Go run through a corn field backwards while naked and then come back and tell me that :-P" - NOW3P

+Fixed

OK - now go try it running backwards :-)

Thunder Game profile

Aug 25th 2010, 17:54:35

you go first...I'll go last..maybe..and we can compare notes afterwards
Thunder
ICQ 56183127
MSN

DEFEATER OF MRFORD!
FoCuS'D

NA FA/Senate
Lords

NOW3P Game profile

Aug 25th 2010, 18:58:53

Nah - there are certain types of butter that just don't belong on corn :-P

Dark TwizTid

Patron

Aug 26th 2010, 8:21:59

Originally posted by de1i:
Strip Twiztid!

Tried that once :(

Desperado Game profile

Aug 26th 2010, 12:43:57

Originally posted by NOW3P:
Nah - there are certain types of butter that just don't belong on corn :-P

peanut butter? :P

pants antler

NOW3P Game profile

Aug 26th 2010, 19:23:48

Never know....could be good.

QM Diver Game profile

May 22nd 2011, 10:56:37

I hate to say it, but I think you're wrong QM. Although those biases definitely exist, what makes a game fun is in most cases generally universal
================================================================
Well, I didn't know you cared that I made sense at all in some of my musings, now3p.... Gotcha a big ole 'atta boy', in my book..

But.... You say I may be wrong, yet you verify the existence of biased influences.
I agree, it's whatever floats your boat, fun wise...

One of the toughest guys I ever worked for, used to say, I may not be right, but I'm NEVER wrong!. (If in public, or in ear catch of the crew, someone dares to say 'it' was on him, didn't matter at all, what is was, either.. His own marraige failed.. Played no favorites.
So, his philosophy, was not unlike a new race of people, you will be inherently fluffed, until someone is accepted, by something other than nepotism.

But to just learn to get along, and speak the language would never be enough for the casualties of capitalism and free enterprise, he was using, mainly, for traction! His own, of course...!

"So.. it's you! Who is wrong, Was wrong, Will be wrong and always.... will..... be wrong!

"Do you understand?" What I've just enlightened you of.... Sometimes he'd ask, "how long have you been with my outfit?"

------------------------------------

Ramblin Rose...
Natural Born Killers
PreZ

Azz Kikr Game profile

Wiki Mod

May 22nd 2011, 11:01:17

hm. august 25, 2010.
sure takes ya a while to come up with a response, qm :P

aponic Game profile

May 22nd 2011, 13:57:44

Ice man, I don't like Ivan's ideas about changing the country numbers or the reset length as much as I don't like your ideas about it. All the servers were three months at one point in time. Try not to come off like a dumbass. A 3 month reset would fluff up the game.
SOF
Cerevisi

galleri Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express, Tourney, & FFA

May 22nd 2011, 23:12:04

Originally posted by Azz Kikr:
hm. august 25, 2010.
sure takes ya a while to come up with a response, qm :P

Just ignore him like we do

https://gyazo.com/...b3bb28dddf908cdbcfd162513

Kahuna: Ya you just wrote the fkn equation, not helping me at all. Lol n I hated algebra.

NOW3P Game profile

May 23rd 2011, 4:29:12

I think Ice's ideas on a new server could be quite fun, but it might be too much of a departure from the current FFA to go straight to them here.

I also think it's really cute how Ivan thinks his playing style, opinions, and preferences are the only relevant ones.