Verified:

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

May 28th 2014, 21:39:33

http://www.thedailybeast.com/...ntitlement-and-nerds.html

Interesting and thought provoking article that some of you would probably enjoy/be able to reflect back on.
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

May 28th 2014, 23:44:42

Can't they make that post into a video or something?

Atryn Game profile

May 29th 2014, 12:14:17

I'm not sure the population of this game does much reflecting on misogyny.

In today's world the all-righteous "freedom of speech" has completely trumped the ideals of respectable public discourse or standards of decency.

DotTC1 Game profile

May 29th 2014, 12:56:51

Ahh but it is only freedom of speech if you are on the *popular* side. If your viewpoint differs then the name calling etc begins.

ninong Game profile

May 29th 2014, 15:08:18

tl;read only 3 paragraphs. anyway there are a lot of good-looking nerds who get the chicks either way. but then again, good-looking nerds are not called nerds :D
ninong, formerly Johnny Demonic
IX

Pontius Pirate

EE Patron

May 29th 2014, 17:01:51

"But look. One of the major plot points of Revenge of the Nerds is Lewis putting on a Darth Vader mask, pretending to be his jock nemesis Stan, and then having sex with Stan’s girlfriend. Initially shocked when she finds out his true identity, she’s so taken by his sexual prowess—“All jocks think about is sports. All nerds think about is sex.”—that the two of them become an item.

Classic nerd fantasy, right? Immensely attractive to the young male audience who saw it. And a stock trope, the “bed trick,” that many of the nerds watching probably knew dates back to the legend of King Arthur.

It’s also, you know, rape."

good lord feminists are so fluffing obnoxious these days
Originally posted by Cerberus:

This guy is destroying the U.S. Dollars position as the preferred exchange for international trade. The Chinese Ruan is going to replace it soon, then the U.S. will not have control of the IMF

galleri Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express, Tourney, & FFA

May 29th 2014, 17:09:44

Doesn't the author of the article play ee?
lol

https://gyazo.com/...b3bb28dddf908cdbcfd162513

Kahuna: Ya you just wrote the fkn equation, not helping me at all. Lol n I hated algebra.

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

May 29th 2014, 22:54:55

galleri you're so racist.

Atryn Game profile

May 29th 2014, 23:45:26

WOW... here's a bit that might blow your mind... (or not)

http://jezebel.com/...ooters-awful-f-1582884301

Fooglmog Game profile

May 30th 2014, 2:18:50

Originally posted by Pontius Pirate:
good lord feminists are so fluffing obnoxious these days

Yes, how obnoxious, exactly the word I'd use. How obnoxious of them to think women shouldn't be murdered for choosing not to have sex with someone.

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

iScode Game profile

May 30th 2014, 2:52:52

exactly, like they should have a fluffing choice!
iScode
God of War

DEATH TO SOV!

Fooglmog Game profile

May 30th 2014, 3:00:19

I know you're joking Scode, but at the same time, fluff you.

Whatever your intent is with a comment like that, it will cause others to think it's okay to say similar things. And comments like that permeating our culture directly cause rapes to occur. I don't mean that in some general abstract or statistical sense -- I mean individual women are likely to be raped by people who come to these forums because comments like that are made here.

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

Edited By: Fooglmog on May 30th 2014, 3:05:19
See Original Post

FailDiegoFail Game profile

May 30th 2014, 3:19:44

keep it goin this is good

Viceroy Game profile

May 30th 2014, 3:21:10

I remember when someone in our alliance created a country named Str4ight R4p3.

I was very pleased when everyone there called him on his BS, that even if it was a commonly used phrase by gamers, it was still unacceptable in our little community.
And, Monsters, do not forget to specify, when time and place shall serve, that I am an ass.

galleri Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express, Tourney, & FFA

May 30th 2014, 3:40:16

Originally posted by galleri:
Doesn't the author of the article play ee?
lol
Originally posted by Requiem:
galleri you're so racist.

Nah dawg, but for real I thought we had a guy in this game with RL name Arthur Chu

https://gyazo.com/...b3bb28dddf908cdbcfd162513

Kahuna: Ya you just wrote the fkn equation, not helping me at all. Lol n I hated algebra.

Pontius Pirate

EE Patron

May 30th 2014, 7:51:41

Originally posted by Fooglmog:

Whatever your intent is with a comment like that, it will cause others to think it's okay to say similar things. And comments like that permeating our culture directly cause rapes to occur. I don't mean that in some general abstract or statistical sense -- I mean individual women are likely to be raped by people who come to these forums because comments like that are made here.

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.
Are you serious?

This is everything that is wrong with modern first world feminists (along with the hyperbole, i.e. you responding with something about being murdered for sex after I quoted this fat asian guy talking about revenge of the nerds and rape)

Yeah man someone is totally gonna get raped because of Scode's comment, infact I'm gonna go rape someone now because scode told me to

This guy is destroying the U.S. Dollars position as the preferred exchange for international trade. The Chinese Ruan is going to replace it soon, then the U.S. will not have control of the IMF

BILL_DANGER Game profile

May 30th 2014, 8:22:43

Originally posted by Fooglmog:

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.
Are you serious?

This is everything that is wrong with modern first world feminists (along with the hyperbole, i.e. you responding with something about being murdered for sex after I quoted this fat asian guy talking about revenge of the nerds and rape)

Yeah man someone is totally gonna get raped because of Scode's comment, infact I'm gonna go rape someone now because scode told me to

OK, first off, I agree - to a limited extent - with the assertion that someone is going to get raped due to Scode's comment is a bit absurd. But it's only absurd when you view it in isolation. The point is that it's not about ONE comment. It's about a CULTURE. How many comments about "bewbz," how many racey signature pictures on alliance forums, etc.. If you stand back and look at it objectively, the culture of EE (and, I suspect, just about any gaming community which tends to be predominantly male) does undeniably include some misogynistic tones.

When I first read a few of these articles my initial reaction was no doubt similar to many of yours. I reflexively get defensive.. "Well, that guy is crazy! You can't paint us all like that!!! #NotAllMen!!!!!" But I found the "Revenge of the Nerds" example actually pretty poignant. It *is* an example of rape -- the "hero" in that story has sex with a woman under false pretenses who would otherwise not have had sex with him (i.e., against her will). In that story it's portrayed as the end justifies the means... but I challenge you to sit back and really *THINK* about it for a second. "By any means necessary I am going to stick my fluff in this woman's vagina and that's OK, because once she gets a taste of nerd-lovin' she'll enjoy it" is the underlying message, and I have to agree with the author, it sends the wrong message.

BILL
FATHER OF A TEENAGE DAUGHTER AND TWO RAPIDLY-APPROACHING-TEENAGE SONS
THE MIGHTY CLAN [DANGER]!

Pontius Pirate

EE Patron

May 30th 2014, 9:11:01

first with regards to your second paragraph:

but it's not a "message", it's an absurd plot scene from an absurd comedy

and even if it was a "realistic rape scene" like the one from GoT a few weeks ago that had all the #feminists raging, the point is that it's fiction and it's the responsibility of the audience to realize that

the problem with this kind of attitude that the writer of that article and a lot of the tumblr feminists have is that why stop at their pet issues of rape and whatever? why not stamp out violence on tv/the internet? and greed? and whatever? every single one of those is a problem and if you try to stamp them all out instead of letting the audience filter these things themselves, media is going to be pretty fluffing boring in the future

ok, the first paragraph:
http://i.imgur.com/qJFr0qe.jpg
that, except applied to online misogyny

edit: and the key thing i would say here is the same thing i said in the first paragraph - as hostile or whatever as that may be, it's not responsible for rape or wahtever

also part of the edit: watch this: http://www.aei.org/...nd-rape-culture-hysteria/

Edited By: Pontius Pirate on May 30th 2014, 9:24:35
See Original Post

BILL_DANGER Game profile

May 30th 2014, 13:59:23

WAIT ARE YOU TELLING ME THE THINGS I SEE ON MY TV ARE NOT REAL???
(Point taken re: the Revenge of the Nerds example and the slippery slope)

YOUR REBUTTAL OF PARAGRAPH ONE IS LACKING, HOWEVER, AS:
1: THERE ARE NO EXPLOSIONS
2: I FIND THE ANSWER OF "IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, LEAVE, WOMAN!" UNSATISFACTORY

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

May 30th 2014, 15:13:50

the problem with this kind of attitude that the writer of that article and a lot of the tumblr feminists have is that why stop at their pet issues of rape and whatever? why not stamp out violence on tv/the internet? and greed? and whatever? every single one of those is a problem and if you try to stamp them all out instead of letting the audience filter these things themselves, media is going to be pretty fluffing boring in the future

I think you're missing the wider point in these discussions that have been dominating the news/interwebs lately. You're also missing the point that the movies and media they discuss is not necessarily influencing behaviour but are rather a reflection of society's attitude toward women. I'd like to believe that men and women can be seen equally but posts like that add to the narrative that these issues should be quelled rather than addressed.

Like... say whatever you want but women are being raped -- not the walking down a dark alley in a short skirt kind of raped; date raped, drunk raped, or coerced into sex by people they trust. They are pressured/coerced to send naked pictures to men who will pass it around for discussion. There's no shortage of fluffty behaviour toward women -- much of it using new digital technologies and being done by kids who have grown up in our modern world. If you have ever known women who have gone through this sort of thing you will know the sort of toll it takes on them mentally. And it's something that we, as men, don't really need to worry about. At all.

But at the same time western society has shown a lot of improvement in attitudes toward women in the last 100 years, but it was so poor before there's still much work to do. As men we need to do a better job of not being assholes. Plain and simple... there are still too many assholes out there who treat women like fluff. I hope none of you want to be part of that group.
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

May 30th 2014, 15:34:18

Also, I know it's not local, but fluff like this just disgusts me:
http://news.nationalpost.com/...t-against-alleged-rapist/

It should disgust everyone enough to boycott India, Pakistan and other countries who tolerate these sort of abysmal attitudes toward women, IMO. This is like a weekly occurrence.
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff

Pontius Pirate

EE Patron

May 30th 2014, 16:07:43

there's no shortage of fluffty behavior period. i don't know why women's issues are such a big deal these days when as a dude I'm far more likely to be the victim of violent crime than women are. now aside from that, im not sure what your point is - pretty much everyone views rape as something bad (see the article I linked earlier for discussion on "rape culture"), yet some people can still write scenes or make jokes about it. this whole "omg revenge of the nerds had a rape scene therefore society views rape as something positive" in response to some dude wearing a darth vader mask to disguise himself is just so ridiculously over the top that i'm really mindboggled by how fairly intelligent people can defend it. same with the game of thrones mess and their whole "you made a likable character a rapist you monsters!!!!"

it's also really obnoxious, it's like you're trying to watch a bad comedy with your friends and some fat asian from jeopardy waddles in and starts fluffing about how one of the few funny scenes in the movie shows how society accepts rape.

also, funnily enough, I'm going to Pakistan in about a month, and while I do agree that a lot of the non-Western world actually needs real feminism (go there instead #feminists), I'm not going to judge an entire country for that, just like I'm not boycotting black people (or where I come from, eastern europeans/russians) because their crime rates are many times higher than those of white people. (in western countries)

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

May 30th 2014, 16:10:12

I lost interest less than a quarter of the way into the read LOL, ya I'm ADD!
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6VRMGTwU4I
-=TSO~DKnights~ICD~XI~LaF=-

S.F. Giants 2010, 2012, 2014 World Series Champions, fluff YEAH!

archaic Game profile

May 30th 2014, 16:30:31

I agree with it, but its a pretty weakly written article, just another rehashed McNews space filler.
Cheating Mod Hall of Shame: Dark Morbid, Turtle Crawler, Sov

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

May 30th 2014, 17:55:40

I think the outcry re: game of thrones was more about why the producers put the rape scene in when it wasn't in the book.

"pretty much everyone views rape as something bad" -> that's the entire point of this thread to begin with -- you can say that but it's not true. Violent rape against an innocent stranger is what people think is horrible. There's a lot more that happens in private situations. That's what the problem is...

Also as soon as you make the argument that men are more likely to be the victims on violent crimes you immediately leave out any sexual aspect and it's a completely different discussion.

I also like how PP first says that all "#feminists" are the same and should be bucketed together then one sentence later says that we shouldn't blame Pakistan for a few bad apples. That is a key problem with issues like this -- some people are just ignorant pricks in how they see the world. They only think about their position and themselves and are not able to understand or empathize with the viewpoints of others.

Also, that article was way too long and was poorly written. But it discusses movies I like and a nerd vs girl topic that many of us should be able to empathize with! :D
There is realistically no good journalism left at this stage. It's all just filler.
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff

Symac

May 30th 2014, 18:33:23

I think the world has turned into a great big whiny vagina... Or at least North America.

Rape is bad, no one is saying it's not. However, that does not mean that even loose definitions of rape must removed from media or jokes. Jennifer Lawrence made a rape joke to a group of friends and someone heard and now it's news... Every one hates her, wants her to apologize... and for what? Since when has it became taboo to even tell a joke that may loosely involve rape?

Remove anything that could be construed as rape from television and movies? It has been used for decades. Game of Thrones is on HBO and labeled for mature audiences. They used rape as it always is used in film(not that I am an expert or have watched every rape scene or anything), to shock and deepen the effect of the violation. I can think of several rape scenes from this show going back to the first season. If people don't like it, they shouldn't watch. Not to mention it is an accurate portrayal of the time period of the show. In fact it is very light compared to historical scale of rape. Also Jamie's rape of Cersi is on point to a hot topic that keeps showing up in the news and even had a cousin accused of it; spousal rape. While I would agree it is rape, it is a very slippery slope to police as vindictive and crazy fluffes love to make fluff up when they are mad.

In summation, this over sensitivity needs to end.

Real rape is bad, so is murder, so is adultery, so is stealing, so is swearing, so is racism, so is stereotyping, so is basically everything else portrayed on television, in every good joke, every good movie. As for racism, there is no one who isn't racist.

Now Pakistan, India, most of the middle east they are just now being held accountable?! This is a way of life for these people. It's the law for some of them.

Edited By: Symac on May 30th 2014, 18:42:43. Reason: I feel like John Spartan from Demolition Man
See Original Post

Atryn Game profile

May 31st 2014, 1:39:09

Originally posted by Symac:
Not to mention it is an accurate portrayal of the time period of the show.

Wait.... set aside this important rape conversation for a second.......

Did you just defend the historical accuracy of Game of Thrones?

Symac

May 31st 2014, 3:18:57

Originally posted by Atryn:
Originally posted by Symac:
Not to mention it is an accurate portrayal of the time period of the show.

Wait.... set aside this important rape conversation for a second.......

Did you just defend the historical accuracy of Game of Thrones?

Well yes, I suppose I did. Given the technology level I would estimate early AD. 300bc - 1000ad Huge range but not much to go on and not many innovations really to define that time period. They have metallurgy, pre-medieval siege engines, trebuchet, and heavy plate. The armor they appear to use could place it later. I have never seen any word on what all inspiration was used for the books. It's obvious early European influences are used for the show. I would guess eastern European from some of the imagery from the book.