Verified:

Azz Kikr Game profile

Wiki Mod

Apr 15th 2010, 17:29:30

there's such a thing as overpaid teachers, etc?

i can understand pothole fillers/ditch diggers .. at least around here, they take 9 guys staring at a hole with one guy workin

but the rest of them are fairly essential and, as far as i'm aware, incredibly underpaid.

wonder if i missed a sarcasm tag or something

snawdog Game profile

Apr 15th 2010, 17:35:26

In comparison to the poor schmuck building her/his house or mowing/pruning their lawn...blah blah blah,yes.
I have been in this argument a gerzillion times,and all i can say is that the teacher knows the pay scale long before entering said field.
And they get better/more days off then bankers.

Edited By: snawdog on Apr 15th 2010, 17:36:39
ICQ 364553524
msn

Azz Kikr Game profile

Wiki Mod

Apr 15th 2010, 17:40:11

teachers have an incredibly important job that's been usurped by being required to teach to a test.
i know quite a few teachers that would be doing much more good as far as actual education if they didn't have to makes ure that idiot child in the back row drooling on his pencils got the right answer to question 256c.
if you want to blame something for the education system, blame no child left behind.

Azz Kikr Game profile

Wiki Mod

Apr 15th 2010, 17:46:28

i'm less concerned about the amount we're paying for the education system, and more concerned that it's still fluff :P

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Apr 15th 2010, 17:54:18

Oddly when municipal workers go on strike the city saves money.
There is actually a lot more to teaching than that although it really depends on *what* they are teaching and which age group you are referring too..

Although I was able to make $25/hour easily (10 years ago) statistics/math to college students (it was my own business). I could easily have charged more than that and would still have been turning people away.

So the service must be worth something:P

you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Apr 15th 2010, 17:56:27

Azz KiKr: I would argue that most of that is because of political interference with it and the fact that the people actually running the school system and dictating what should be taught have very little practical experience in the subject.

Assuming you aren't a doctor, it would be equivalent of putting you in charge of a hospital where you were the only one who could say how surgeries were done and what drugs to administer and you couldn't get advice from the doctors themselves.
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

Azz Kikr Game profile

Wiki Mod

Apr 15th 2010, 17:58:22

oh i agree martian. whole heartedly. i think politicians have fluffed up more than just teaching for our country, but i don't know that they've really fluffed up anything more essential.

Azz Kikr Game profile

Wiki Mod

Apr 15th 2010, 18:03:33

because politicians are fluffing stupid?

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Apr 15th 2010, 18:07:14

when you work for public sector it's really the only way since for the most part public sector stuff has little to do with market value.

As for privatization of schools, that's a difficult one. Does that mean that the quality of basic education you get should depend on your (read parents) ability to pay for it?

Maybe schools should have entry exams like they do in other parts of the world which determines if you go an academic route or a trades route and then base funding off of some kind of performance from there..?

At least for young children I'd argue that the rules of capitalism don't complete apply since their access to education (at least initially) has nothing to do with their individual merits or abilities. The problem is that going to that kind of a system makes a lot of people upset.

(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Apr 15th 2010, 18:08:23

btw.. don't take my first statement as a commentary on public sector salaries. My point is just that it's the only way they have of "asking" for a pay raise.
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

ZEN Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 15th 2010, 18:52:03

Good discussion here.

Let's spruce it up a bit.

Abortion kills future cancer curing individuals. Funny how we have more up in arms people over clubbing seals or seeing how well our FOOD is treated. I get it. I don't want my food's feelings hurt either. Hey Jenny, I know you drank too much at that party three weeks ago. Condom? What is a condom? Birth control pills? What? Normally I would condone such evolutionary necessities in killing off the weakest, but would much rather you fall on a large sharp object. He/She didn't have the chance to learn from your mistakes and beat the odds. I'm not even going to give sympathy to rape victims because I have solutions. You think not letting women vote, own land, work, or have rights barbaric? How about killing babies? I think we should up the wages a bit. If you decide to have an abortion, you lose your rights for 7 years. What if you are a man and you wanted the abortion? Easy. Go fight for our country for 8 years. What happens to the rapists? Instant death penalty. Anyone who gets off by taking advantage of a woman for sexual gratification, dies. There are no misunderstandings in this case. Will we see Salem witch trials? Not likely. These days we have something called technology. Lie detectors. Forensic technicians. Etc etc.

Republicans are money hungry and conveniently stand behind religion if it suits their immediate needs. No one is perfect, however you are worse than the worst when you are hypocritical of your belief system and the eternal existence of your soul.

Finally, America is the only free thinking empire left. The rest of the world has conformed to two sides of the spectrum. Pussies and psychotics. Both sides hate the US because we could give a rats ass about what they do, what they believe in, and who is in charge. Plus their music sucks. This excludes China, because we owe them half our country.

Discuss.

ZEN Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 15th 2010, 19:04:18

I am also ok with banning cell phones in their entirety.

ZEN Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 15th 2010, 19:15:29

Horticulture > Statistics

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Apr 15th 2010, 19:53:34

lol
Actually talking with a cell phone while driving a car is just as bad as driving drunk in terms of your chances of getting into a crash.

~~~~

"Finally, America is the only free thinking empire left. The rest of the world has conformed to two sides of the spectrum. Pussies and psychotics"

Are you just trying to troll now?:P

(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

ZEN Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 15th 2010, 19:56:30

I never said I believe in any of the dribble that spews from these fat phalanges.

I asked myself "Self. How do I get everyone to impose their opinion (violent or not) on others and mainly at myself, all at once?"

Ding!

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Apr 15th 2010, 19:58:10

I really laughed at the daily show's spoof of Glen beck..

BEWARE OF BERT!!
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Apr 15th 2010, 20:19:57

mmm trolls:P

1) yes it is
2) no one actually knows the answer to that. Although perhaps it's because you are missing the other visual communication prompts.
3) even when drunk it's easy to leave the steering wheel turned entirely in one direction and press the accelerator. hell you can even pass out like that and the car would still be going in circles.
:)
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

PinkyAndTheBrain

Apr 15th 2010, 20:52:40

mmm, mods. :P

i don't forgive you btw.
What are we going to do tonight Brain?
Same Thing As Always Pinky.
Attempt To Take Over The World,
And Fail Miserably...

Dibs Ludicrous was here. dowt!

oh noes. not another IP ban.

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 15th 2010, 20:59:15

2) i believe was in large part due to the fact the passenger notices stuff on the road too and can react... ie pause their conversation in horror at their impending doom! :)
Finally did the signature thing.

Eric171 Game profile

Apr 20th 2010, 4:38:07

threads like this make me go lol

Joe

Apr 20th 2010, 18:42:44

unions are obsolete, and i believe teachers should be made as an essential service to stop them from going on strike.

also i am not wearing pants

Eric171 Game profile

Apr 22nd 2010, 7:47:48

Unions are obsolete until you get screwed by your employer and need help.

One of the ironical things is that people in the USA have some of the worse labor conditions I ever heard of for legal workers among developed and even some developing countries, if our earth2025 IRC experience is to be believed. And most there have a bad view of unions.

Go figure.

Fuzzy Logic Game profile

Patron

Apr 22nd 2010, 23:59:58

Fair market value is pretty much a fiction since pretty much everything is heavily subsidized anyway.

If you want teachers to get paid less, YOU should go be a teacher and insist on getting paid less.

ZEN Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 23rd 2010, 18:23:55

let me know when they're printing it on toilet paper. i'll buy a couple rolls for the holidays.

ZEN Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 23rd 2010, 18:39:13

IF THEY BE TOO MUCH, I BE STRIKING!

Eric171 Game profile

Apr 24th 2010, 5:27:45

Do you have people working for you, Dibs?

Eric171 Game profile

Apr 24th 2010, 5:29:30

and blah.

I was hoping someone would take the usual bait and claim USA workers output is higher than in other countries because labor laws/unions suck in the USA, lowering your costs. :P

no such luck :(

Fuzzy Logic Game profile

Patron

Apr 24th 2010, 12:53:57

You better be at work today since you hate unions.

Fuzzy Logic Game profile

Patron

Apr 24th 2010, 16:31:44

Better be working more than 40 hours a weeks for less than minimum wage too buddy. And never take any paid sick time.

Edited By: Fuzzy Logic on Apr 24th 2010, 16:34:47

Eric171 Game profile

Apr 24th 2010, 18:12:44

Fuzzy Logic is only listing stuff that unions try to contract or avoid for their unionized people, Dibs.

Eric171 Game profile

Apr 24th 2010, 18:15:02

Anyway, the reasoning behind an union is pretty simple. A group of people that organize itself and have the same objective will have a better bargaining position when contracting (and performing the contract) compared with an individual.

Eric171 Game profile

Apr 28th 2010, 1:42:49

Yeah, we noted you are self-employed without any employee already.

What baffles me is the difficulty in recognizing the advantage for a worker to be unionized, that is all.