Verified:

VicRattlehead Game profile

Aug 20th 2014, 5:09:27

I like to cook. I bbq more than pretty much anything else, but I do plenty of other cooking too. Let's share ideas for meals!

Tonight for dinner, I made ground beef hash. It was pretty simple. I put roughly 2 lbs ground beef in a bowl and mashed in some salt, basil, Worcestershire and fresh ground black pepper. I sautéed this meat and made it into pieces while it was cooking, then put it back in the bowl (grease and all) and set it aside. Next I put two diced Vidalia onions into the pan and carmelized them. I then put the onions into a small bowl. Next I put five (5) diced white potatoes into the pan with some garlic, ginger, salt, pepper, basil and olive oil. While the potatoes were cooking, I poured in some of the beef grease. When the potatoes were cooked I put the onions and beef back into the pan. Then I mixed a rounded teaspoon of "better than boullion" beef base with 2 ounces of water and poured that over the whole mess. I mixed this over heat while broccoli cooked on the other burner.

In case you're curious, it was delicious. I have enough for lunch the next few days at work, and I am already looking forward to eating it. Changes I would make now that I did it: More Worcestershire, more pepper, more garlic, add sour cream to the whole mess before serving.

Aug 20th 2014, 5:22:35

Jimmy Kraut (named after my brother)

Getr a head of red cabbage, some apples and onions, some pork chops,, and get to work.

Dice the cabbage. Put it in a pot with 3 (or so) cups of cider vinegar and a roughly half measure of water. Add plenty of mustard powder. Stir and let simmer.

Meanwhile, sautee some diced onions and apples, preferably granny smith, with butter. Herbsi/spices can be added to taste here, I like a little bit of cinnamon and a very little bit of cardamom.

When the sauteeing is done, add the onions and apples to the cabbage. Next sautee some mushrooms in butter, no other seasoning. The mushrooms are going to go in some gravy.

The mushrooms aren't necessary, except I like mushroom gravy and fresh mushrooms make it better.

Boil some water for egg noodles. Add the noodles when the meal is almost ready. This ish takes a lot of time to make, don't expect to be ready in the time it takes water to boil!

The pork chops should be pan fried (basically sautéed also) while the cabbage mixture is simmering. I put a little bit of salt on the chops before I put them in the pan, and maybe some pepper, but that's it. Feel free to season it more, but bear in mind the flavors already present.

When the chops are nearly cooked, dump most of the cabbage mix on top of them in the pan. Let it simmer that way for a few minutes, until the chops are cooked enough to serve (in America, medium rare chops are the new normal).

Serve the chops covered in the kraut mixture with the egg noodles on the side, and put gravy on the whole mess to taste.

Gravy: You can get pork base in the same brand (better than bullion) I mentioned above. You can also get "mushroom gravy" packets in the grocery store. Either will work. Corn starch will thicken anything you make too thin. Add the mushrooms before you thicken it.

braden Game profile

Aug 20th 2014, 12:27:51

i usually just cook my chicken and then some rice and peas. or if i have an hour, i make fajitas. chicken, onion, salsa, cheese, and old el paso fajita seasoning.

i also boil campbells chicken noodle soup better than most, if i may say so myself.

braden Game profile

Aug 20th 2014, 12:29:50

but on the bbq chicken is cooked with diana sauce. for bbq chicken is raw, but when i'm in my kitchen all my chicken is cooked from frozen, boneless breasts.

Aug 20th 2014, 15:41:05

I am a barbequeing fool. I love to bbq some chicken, some ribs, some everything really.

If you have fresh meat, it cooks better from room temp, so let it sit on the counter starting at lunch time if you are going to make it for dinner.

Aug 21st 2014, 22:42:57

Rattlehead's Roasted Red Potatoes -

This is a simple, tasty, filling side dish.

Get enough red bliss potatoes to feed your crew. Dice them. I prefer mine small. Put the potato pieces in a gallon size ziploc back. Now it's time for seasoning - do them all to taste, I like more of some and less of others than some people. Add garlic powder, oregano, basil, thyme, salt, ground black pepper, and mustard powder. Drizzle some oil (I use olive because it goes with the seasonings, but others can work too) over the taters. Seal the back and shake it up until all the pieces are coated with oil and seasoning. Put the pieces on a cookie sheet and broil until browned. You're going to need to flip them over to get both sides. Should take about 12 minutes.

mrford Game profile

Aug 24th 2014, 14:51:05

Originally posted by VicRattlehead:
I am a barbequeing fool. I love to bbq some chicken, some ribs, some everything really.

If you have fresh meat, it cooks better from room temp, so let it sit on the counter starting at lunch time if you are going to make it for dinner.

im cooking a boston butt right now. last night i injected it and let it sot overnight. this morning i took it out of the fridge about 90 min before putting it in the smoker.

i rubbed the butt with regular yellow mustard, then put my favorite rub all over that bad boy, then placed it on a rack and into the smoker

im smoking it at 225F to an internal temp of 195F. should take 8-10 hours. every 2 hours or so im moping it with a self made mop made out of the rub, vegetable oil, water, cider vinegar, soy, and Worcestershire.

every hour im adding cherry chips to the smoker, and after the first 6 hours im going to foil that fluff up, stick 2 meet probes in there, and let her cook till she is 195F. the last time i did this the bone just twisted out and i was able to pull the pork with 2 forks, no lie. the fluff was intensely amazing.

butt:
http://i.imgur.com/DmY8yFH.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/yrOEgjo.jpg

i also do ribs quite often. i use the 2-2-1 method, but shorten it to more of a 1.6/1.6/.6 at 225F

1.6 hours with just a rub in the smoker
1.6 hours foiled up with some applejuice poured over it
.6 hours out of the foil with your favorite BBQ sauce on them

the bone literally pulls out clean from the meat

ribs:
http://i.imgur.com/fxlbISa.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/9S02zH7.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/It2e4T4.jpg

my smoker:
http://i.imgur.com/8nyGwom.jpg

it is a masterbuilt 30 inch electric smoker and it is my favorite thing

Edited By: mrford on Aug 24th 2014, 14:55:35
See Original Post
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

Aug 24th 2014, 18:41:05

Ford, you just made me hungry. That sounds delicious.

Breakfast food - pan fry up some loose sausage, I prefer sage. Bob Evans brand is best, but jimmy dean or Jamestown are fine. Break up the sausage while it is browning. After it is all cooked add some flour to make a roux. Next add milk. The proportions I use are generally 1/2 lb of sausage = 1.5qt of milk, but I eyeball everything in this dish. Bring the whole mess to a boil and use flour to thicken to desired consistency. Serve over biscuits. I cheat on the biscuits, I use pills bury grands.

Marshal Game profile

Aug 24th 2014, 19:20:27

Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

mrford Game profile

Aug 25th 2014, 16:38:37

You would post a fluffing cookie recipe
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

Sep 2nd 2014, 15:36:10

London Broil marinade: Equal parts lemon juice and soy sauce, stir in some garlic paste/minced garlic. DO NOT LET MARINATE TOO LONG, an hour is fine, 90 minutes is pushing it. Grill your london broil. Thank me after.

Marshal Game profile

Sep 2nd 2014, 19:15:59

that's a cookie?

Sep 2nd 2014, 20:24:06

Make your omelettes better, richer, "meatier," put a dollop of "Better than Boullion" chicken in the pan while it's heating.

Marshal Game profile

Sep 2nd 2014, 20:34:15

i'll pass.

Nov 14th 2014, 17:49:50

This morning, I had some leftover taco meat (from cooking dinner, natch) and diced raw onions and some taco shells. I sauteed up the onions, threw in the meat and poured two scrambled eggs over it. When the eggs were fully cooked, I threw on some cheddar cheese. I plated this mixture and topped it with some salsa and sour cream, then made tacos out of it. Awesome.

Nov 17th 2014, 5:17:19

Rattlehead's chicken parm:

In a smallish-medium pot, sautée two large or 3 medium minced fresh garlic cloves with a splash of olive oil, 2 tbsp butter and some ground white pepper. Once the garlic is nice and sizzled (it will smell awesome) add 32 oz (two one pint containers) of heavy whipping cream, 1.5 cups grated high quality Parmesan cheese (this is probably the most important ingredient for the sauce) and 4 cups mozzarella cheese. Stir this mixture with a whisk over medium-low heat until the cheese is no longer distinguishable from the rest of the mixture. Congratulations, you have a delicious Alfredo sauce.

Meanwhile, your chicken cutlets need to be prepped and cooked too. Smash them flat with a pounder if you like, this can make them a nicer "platform" to use later and also makes them cook faster. They will be slightly less moist though. Roll the cutlets (you have enough Alfredo that one lb of pasta and eight chicken cutlets will feed 8 people) in flour, then dip them in scrambled egg, then roll them in bread crumbs. For this recipe use Italian seasoned ones. Fry your chicken in peanut oil (that is the secret to why chick fil a is so delicious, peanut oil is the only thing you should fry with). When the chicken is cooked, cover it with marinara and mozzarella, then melt the cheese in the oven. A decent pre-packed marinara is fine to use here, as homemade is a lot of extra effort for only marginally better results.

At some point during this process you should have cooked a pound of spaghetti/linguine/vermicelli/whatever. Toss this pasta in the Alfredo - about 2/3 of the mixture on the pasta will leave enough left over to add extra and sufficeiently coat the pasta. Serve the chicken and the pasta.

Don't eat this one too often, your doctor won't like it.

mrford Game profile

Nov 18th 2014, 0:58:53

I have never seen a chicken parm with an Alfredo sauce. Is that even legal?
Swagger of a Chupacabra

Nov 18th 2014, 3:51:32

Try it and then judge, it is ridiculously delicious. Might be the best recipe I have posted. I get asked to make it a lot.

Cerberus Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 21st 2015, 22:03:02

I'm going to make Carnivore Cupcakes this weekend coming up.

Simple recipe.

I get some good bacon from a local butcher, then line a copcake/muffin pan with the bacon.

Mix up a good meatloaf recipe and stuff the cupcake tins with this meat mixture then top with your favorite cheese and roast in the oven as you would a meatloaf.

If you need a good meatloaf recipe, I can provide that for you. :)

Just don't have a lot of time right now and have to run.
I don't need anger management, people need to stop pissing me off!

farmer Game profile

Mar 15th 2015, 3:36:32

anyone have a recipes for a rub to put one ribs?

Cerberus Game profile

EE Patron

Mar 24th 2015, 17:16:59

Depends on what you like, farmer. I've got several, depending on just who is eating it and what their tolerance for spicy is.

So, I'll start with the mild version. I assume you're using pork for this.

1. 2 tablsepoons granulated garlic, not garlic powder, but granulated garlic.
2. 1 tablespoon sea salt
3. 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
4. only the slightest pinch of nutmeg
5. 1 teaspoon espresso blend good dark coffee *
6. 1 tablespoon chopped rosemary
7. 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar

mix all together and rub ribs, wrap in plastic and set in refrigerator for 2 hours before cooking.

In order to kick it up a notch, use the same combination and add 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne pepper or 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

Try that out, then we can look at the mustard based rubs. :)

Cerberus Game profile

EE Patron

Mar 24th 2015, 17:18:37

* You can make this by taking a good dark coffee from the supermarket, like Folger's "Black Silk" version of coffee and regrinding it in a food processor or blender, or even a spice grinder until it has the consistency of powdered confectioner's sugar. :)

farmer Game profile

Mar 24th 2015, 21:38:46

i will be trying this as soon as the weather warms up a little more.

Mossad Game profile

Apr 19th 2015, 9:25:24

I love cooking almost as much as gaming .... I love cloning famous foods
*** with a hint of rosemary and or thyme? add a dash of cayenne?
Ingredients
1 Tbsp sugar
1 1/2 c self-rising flour
1/2 c cornstarch
1 Tbsp seasoned salt
2 tsp paprika
1/1 tsp baking soda
1/2 c biscuit mix
1 envelope Italian salad dressing mix
1 envelope onion soup mix
1 2 to 3 lb chicken, cut into 8 pieces, or 6 chicken breasts, or 10 chicken legs
2 eggs, beaten with 1/4 cup cold water
1 c corn oil for frying

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Combine all dry ingredients in large bowl. Mix to blend the ingredients thoroughly.
Dip the chicken pieces into the egg mixture and then into the dry coating mix: repeat so each piece is double-coated.
Preheat the oil in heavy skillet over medium--high heat. Brown the pieces skin side down for 5 minutes.
Turn and brown the undersides of the pieces for a few minutes. Transfer to an oiled baking pan. Cover with foil, sealing it on only three sides of the pan.
Bake for 45 to 50 minutes. Remove the foil, then bake for another 5 minutes or until the coating is crisp.
Combine all the dry ingredients and store them in a sealed container for future use. I freeze mine.

TO MAKE POPEYS? SIMPLY ADD 1 PKT POWDERED TOMATO SAUCE... or to make their spicy? use Franks Red Hot sauce dip with egg instead of water before flouring..

Mossad Game profile

Apr 19th 2015, 9:26:31

ad ya got to have da biscuits to go with no?
Popeye's biscuits
Ingredients
4 c bisquick
3/4 c Sprite or HI fizz Beer heh!
8 oz sour cream
1/4 c butter, melted

Directions
mix first 3 ingredients, roll out onto floured surface to 1/2 " thick. Cut out with a biscuit cutter or round glass. Dip each biscuit in melted butter, place on cookie sheet touching. Pour any leftover butter on top. Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 18 to 24 minutes.< until they start to get brown on top.* mine took 24 mins< electric stove * Gas works better!!!

version #2
4 c. biscuit mix
8 oz. sour cream
3/4 c. club soda, 7 up or sprite

Mix all together and turn out onto lightly floured wax paper and pat out with hand (too sticky to use rolling pin). Cut with biscuit cutter. Place in pan.
Melt 1/2 stick butter and pour 1/2 over biscuits before you bake. Brush remainder over them as soon as they come out of the oven. Bake at 400 degrees to desired brownness. Makes 18 biscuits. Half of this recipe is plenty for a couple or small family.

Mossad Game profile

Apr 19th 2015, 9:31:10

Rib Rub?
dry one= 3 tablespoons brown sugar

1 1/2 tablespoons paprika

1 1/2 tablespoons salt

1 1/2 tablespoons ground black pepper

1 teaspoon garlic powder
Mix together the brown sugar, paprika, salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Rub into pork ribs. For best results, allow ribs to marinate overnight. Grill ribs as desired.
-----------------------------------or
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon granulated garlic
1 tablespoon granulated onion
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon white pepper
and then
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Store in an airtight container. Pack on the dry rub onto your next rack of ribs.

----------------------------------Memphis style ribs
for grilling

Advance preparation

4 to 8 hours for marinating the ribs

Special equipment

1 1/2 cups wood chips or chunks (preferably hickory), soaked for 1 hour in cold water to cover and drained

For the ribs and rub

3 racks baby back pork ribs (about 7 pounds), or 2 racks pork spareribs (6 to 8 pounds total)
1/4 cup sweet paprika
4 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
4 1/2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons celery salt
1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin

For the mop sauce (optional)

2 cups cider vinegar
1/2 cup yellow (ballpark) mustard
2 teaspoons salt

Mossad Game profile

Apr 19th 2015, 9:32:39

or Create a Signature Dry Rub for yourself help @ this link>>>>>

http://www.southernliving.com/.../barbecue-dry-rub-recipes

Cerberus Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 20th 2015, 20:33:38

How to make delicious home made lasagna that will amaze your family and friends.

OK, first you need to gather all your ingredients mise en place.

Your favorite brand of lasagna noodles (store bought), this is for regular people to cook at home, not crazy obsessives like me who make their own pasta.

Get at least two boxes of them to make one large lasagna.

two small packages of Italian Sausage (store bought) preferably one that is "hot" and the other "Sweet"

1 white onion
2 bell peppers (any color)
1 lb ground beef (30% fat if you can find it or you could substitute ground lamb or veal if you prefer)
1 whole head of garlic peeled
3 lbs ricotta cheese
1 lb mozzarella cheese (grated)
1/2 lb parmesan cheese (the best you can find)
1/2 lb pepperoni
3 eggs (2 separated into just yolks)
3 small cans of tomato paste
2 large cans petit diced tomatoes, or you can use crushed tomatoes as an alternative, but it will be less "rustic" that way, of if you really can't stand the cooking time, you can use tomato puree in place of the actual tomato.
Good Olive Oil, you'll need a few tablespoons for saute'ing the meats and garlic/onion, and a bit more for flavoring of the cheese mixture.
2 tbsp Sea Salt
2 tbsp fresh basil
2 tbsp fresh rosemary
2 tbsp fresh thyme
2 tbsp fresh oregano
1 tbsp fresh sage
2 tbsp granulated sugar

Preparation directions

This is time consuming, so you should be prepared to spend a few hours working in the kitchen for this. :) This is actually my favorite part.

Step 1.

Start the tomato sauce for use in the making of the lasagna.

1. Peel and crush 3 cloves of garlic, alternately you can mince it if you're afraid of possibly having a chunk of garlic appear in your sauce.

2. finely chop the rosemary, thyme, oregano and sage and put half of your herbs into the pot with a tbsp of Olive Oil and the crushed/minced garlic, and bring to a sizzle, while that is coming to temperature, open the cans of tomato paste.

3. put the tomato paste into the pot with the now saute'ing spices and herbs and mix thoroughly. heat that to a good simmer.

4. Open the tomatoes and add them to the pot, mix thoroughly and set to simmer covered to develop and cook the tomatoes.

5. Now, is where your personal preferences come in. You must season the sauce to your own taste while it is being cooked. After about 20 minutes of a simmer under cover, open and taste the sauce, then season with some pinches of salt, and a pinch of sugar a bit at a t time to alleviate some of the tartness in the sauce.

6. Continue simmering the sauce, and in the mean time, open and shred the sausage and put into a heavy fry pan and saute' with a tbsp Olive Oil, once the sausage has started to cook, put in the beef/veal/lamb and saute' until browned. drain off the fat, but retain it for later use, and put the meat into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap.

7. In a large mixing bowl put ricotta cheese, 1/2 the mozzarella cheese and 1/4 of the parmesan cheese into the bowl and mix. Once that mixture is mixed thoroughly, whip the two egg yolks and mix into the mixture along with some of your fresh spices that are still hanging around. You can use the rest of them here since the ones you've already put into the sauce are enough for that purpose.

8. Parboil your lasagna noodles so that they are softened, but not cooked all the way through, VERY al dente preparation as they will finish cooking in the lasagna when it is baked.

9. By now your sauce should be nice and flavorful and slightly thickened, so divide that in half, and mix in the meats you sauteed earlier into one half of it.

10. Get a casserole dish and butter the bottom and sides.

11. Put a layer of tomato sauce in the bottom of the casserole dish, then cover that with a layer of the lasagna noodles.

12. cover the lasagna noodles with some of the meat mixture and season with a dash of salt, then add another layer of lasagna noodles, then add a layer of tomato sauce and cheese mixture, layer with the lasagna noodles and repeat that process until you have assembled the lasagna. On the last layer add a layer of pepperoni either sliced thinly, or minced, your choice, then spread some mozzarella over the top of the lasagna and cover with tin foil.

13. Place prepared lasagna into a 350 degree oven covered to 30 minutes.

14 uncover the lasagna, and keep baking until mozzarella on top has melted and partially carmelized.

15 Remove from oven and allow to rest fo 20 minutes, covered with the foil.

16 Serve and enjoy. :)

Cerberus Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 20th 2015, 20:35:13

Damn, I forgot to add the bell peppers. LOL

Finely chop the bell peppers and add to the sauce once you start the simmering process. :)

Sorry about that, folks.

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

May 19th 2015, 17:09:55

This is awesome! :)
Finally did the signature thing.