Verified:

slip Game profile

Sep 25th 2010, 4:23:46

Was it SoL or IX countries that were compromised?

Silent Sentinel Game profile

Sep 25th 2010, 4:34:20

I think it was IX who had their site attacked.

slip Game profile

Sep 25th 2010, 4:36:48

sol has ghq. this would make sense. bummer : /

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Sep 25th 2010, 4:50:00

i thought it was something to do with TIE... maybe i'm confused
Finally did the signature thing.

slip Game profile

Sep 25th 2010, 4:59:24

you're not.. but decided to not go that route after SS's response :D

mrford Game profile

Sep 25th 2010, 5:12:34

Get active in LaE and NA you fluff
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

slip Game profile

Sep 25th 2010, 5:36:47

LaE: no
NA: yes, waiting for the round to restart.

Devestation Game profile

Sep 25th 2010, 5:43:33

IX countries AB'd SoL countries. TIE was accused of hacking the countries outright, TIE said the hackers found a list of usernames and passwords held by IX leadership.

Does anyone else realise that perhaps TIE didn't get all the flak they should have?

Devestation Game profile

Sep 25th 2010, 5:44:53

Then Comwood accused a TIE leader of hacking Earthstats, and GHQNET had its own string of hacker issues a little after. Gamerstown was always a bit of a forgotten victim throughout that affair.

WarTime

Sep 25th 2010, 5:47:08

Ya know? I don't care who said what or why about TIE. Only thing I know for sure is that Zeratul nor anyone else in TIE would be your hacker.

Devestation Game profile

Sep 25th 2010, 5:48:30

Character witnesses might have relevance in the courtroom on occasion, but not on AT. :)

WarTime

Sep 25th 2010, 5:49:28

Originally posted by Devestation:
Then Comwood accused a TIE leader of hacking Earthstats, and GHQNET had its own string of hacker issues a little after. Gamerstown was always a bit of a forgotten victim throughout that affair.
Comwood knows better than to blame TIE for any kind of hacking.. He also knows who would do what he's suggesting and it's NOT TIE!

WarTime

Sep 25th 2010, 5:50:57

I personally pointed out to Comwood who wass doing what to EzClan.

WarTime

Sep 25th 2010, 5:53:33

So, think what you want, but TIE is NOT the responsible people in this instance!

Sep 25th 2010, 7:48:00

The Sentinel tried to hack into opposing alliances ES site. He wasn't successful as far as I know. As for GT hacking, have no idea who did that one.

Murf Game profile

Sep 25th 2010, 9:55:14

it was a high up member in tie, or former high up member that did the hacking from what i recall

Shinigami Game profile

Sep 25th 2010, 13:16:44

Hmm... defensive much there WarTime?

NukEvil Game profile

Sep 25th 2010, 13:55:07

Originally posted by WarTime:
Originally posted by Devestation:
Comwood knows better than to blame TIE for any kind of hacking.. He also knows who would do what he's suggesting and it's NOT TIE!

http://atarchive.gotdns.org:8080/...ivepost.jsp?thread=264694

Just sayin'...
I am a troll. Everything I say must be assumed to be said solely to provoke an exaggerated reaction to the current topic. I fully intend to bring absolutely no substance to any discussion, ongoing or otherwise. Conversing with me is pointless.

Devestation Game profile

Sep 25th 2010, 14:27:06

Yeah, WarTime, I said Earthstats, not EzClan.

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Sep 25th 2010, 18:10:57

Finally did the signature thing.

NukEvil Game profile

Sep 25th 2010, 18:42:28

Yeah, no one really knows exactly who hacked GamersTown. Comwood fingered Sentinel (different person from Silent Sentinel, AFAIK), who was TIE's Head of War back then, in the hacking attempts on EarthStats, but the evidence in the ES hack attempts was different from what was found in GT's logs, so it was concluded that Sentinel didn't hack GT.

GamersTown's demise definitely was one result of the SLIT breakup. Someone on the side of SLIT that didn't need GT would have no problems with taking GT out. Of course, it's said that GT sites were being spied on for months before it all fell apart, but someone decided that they needed IX's coordination capabilities taken out at the time SLIT was breaking up.
I am a troll. Everything I say must be assumed to be said solely to provoke an exaggerated reaction to the current topic. I fully intend to bring absolutely no substance to any discussion, ongoing or otherwise. Conversing with me is pointless.

Scorba Game profile

Sep 25th 2010, 20:54:51

I had heard it was a bug abused for several years to have full access in any GT site. I never did know the details of what happened at the end though.

Sep 26th 2010, 2:52:57

Ya NukEvil, The Sentinel and I are two different people. However the mistake is often and easily made because of the name similarity and that we're both Aussies. But I'm better because I'm from Melbourne and he's a smelly Sydney-sider like Dragonlance. Moreover, The Sentinel is currently working abroad in Germany with his banking career so he doesn't even play anymore.

Someone high up in TIE? Well I'll do the irresponsible thing here and just randomly throw out a name. It was Lucifer!

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Sep 26th 2010, 2:55:37

At the time, TIE was hosted on GT too, so I've always thought that the theory that TIE did it to screw over IX was somewhat odd.

I'd like to know what happened, if anyone happens to know/wants to come clean, so we can make sure no such holes exist in other hosting sites
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

Sep 26th 2010, 3:00:28

TIE had a site but were still very much using ES.

NukEvil Game profile

Sep 26th 2010, 3:04:59

It happened over 2 and a half years ago, so I doubt the person behind it even plays anymore. Also, it's pretty easy to figure out how they did it.

1) GT didn't sanitize its db inputs.
2) Passwords for GT accounts were stored in the db in plain text.

I'm pretty sure today's hosting sites don't have those problems. And if one does, then it deserves to get hacked.

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Sep 26th 2010, 4:40:46

ya, those are pretty standard things to do and have been for a long time :p
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

Marshal Game profile

Sep 26th 2010, 17:13:32

1 elyer said that some boxcar-account of his/her got hacked (no idea if master-account or only login to other site than ely) so that person re-applied to ely to avoid more hackings.
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....